Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay how do you shake this team up?

Okay how do you shake this team up?

You have lost 8 of your last night, and you are now down to 3rd in your division with still 3 tough road games in Atlanta this weekend. So...what should/can Dusty do to shake things up and get this team going?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BAKER12

Re: Okay how do you shake this team up?

1. Not panic
    2. Realize it is 162 game, not 62 game schedule
    3. Get some pitchers that are healthy
    4. Acquire a major league caliber LF
    5. Do what it takes to get Reyes and Beltran

Fire RedsZone. If firing the best minds in baseball doesnt do it, I dont know what would.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    1. Not panic
    2. Realize it is 162 game, not 62 game schedule
    3. Get some pitchers that are healthy
    4. Acquire a major league caliber LF
    5. Do what it takes to get Reyes and Beltran
    1. Okay when do you panic
    2. True but you can't continue to win a few, lose a few and such
    3. Agree but whom should get the call up?
    4. Not that easy to do if at all at this point
    5. So give away the farm and over $15-17 million just this season for 2 rentals?

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    1. Okay when do you panic
    2. True but you can't continue to win a few, lose a few and such
    3. Agree but whom should get the call up?
    4. Not that easy to do if at all at this point
    5. So give away the farm and over $15-17 million just this season for 2 rentals?
    Panic if you lose 15 of 16 or something like the Royals would do
    It is going to be tough sledding with rotation in shreds
    I think a trade (even if not for the rentals) is needed
    We need more production from LF for sure
    Can live with SS like Janish, if we have pitching

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    Panic if you lose 15 of 16 or something like the Royals would do
    It is going to be tough sledding with rotation in shreds
    I think a trade (even if not for the rentals) is needed
    We need more production from LF for sure
    Can live with SS like Janish, if we have pitching
    If you lose 15 of 16 isn't it a tad to late at that point?
    Shreds? i wouldn't go that far, need for Leake and EV to step up their game
    Needed? Yes, going to be permitted? That is the big question...

Is this where we overreact to a rough stretch?

Every team is going to have one of these. We haven't had an off day in ages, we're battling injuries, we're playing the 2 best teams in baseball, and we're on an absolute brutal road trip. Toss in a 19 inning game in the middle, 2 short starts by your starters, and another starter injuring himself plus more injuries to your long man and best available starter in AAA and you get this mess.

This just in, once things get back to normal so will this team. It's a lot for these guys to physically deal with right now.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a legitimate black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

Reds should bring up Cozart to split SS with ER.

Rolen, IMO, is done. 2 HR, 5 BB, 0.718 OPS.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and managed only to deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast. Bad, bad call on the extension.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B. Too bad the Reds jerked him around in previous years instead of letting him focus on 3B.

As for LF, I'd like to see an actual platoon of Lewis and Gomes. Of course, that's not Baker's way.

IMO, this season, barring a swindle of a deal by WJ, is lost. Probably time to be planning for 2012.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-26-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Is this where we overreact to a rough stretch?

Every team is going to have one of these. We haven't had an off day in ages, we're battling injuries, we're playing the 2 best teams in baseball, and we're on an absolute brutal road trip. Toss in a 19 inning game in the middle, 2 short starts by your starters, and another starter injuring himself plus more injuries to your long man and best available starter in AAA and you get this mess.

This just in, once things get back to normal so will this team. It's a lot for these guys to physically deal with right now.
    Outside of the Cards series this team has really struggled over the past 20 something games. I think we are lucky to be a game over .500. I think the continued play of Gomes really hurt this team. I think the unproductivity at 3rd and SS has hurt this team. I am worried that Homer now and maybe at some point Cueto's arm issues from ST are going to bite us. Then you have EV for whom is a head case and has issues with throwing strikes. I think we are also struggling with the idea of expectations. Sometimes that burden alone can be a pain...

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and only managed to get a glove on and deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B.

IMO, this season, barring a swindle of a deal by WJ, is lost. Probably time to be planning for 2012.
    Janish is a black hole at the plate, but you have to wonder how much the bad ankle is bothering him. I also agree on Rolen, however as long as your owner is in his corner, he is not going anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Janish has to go. He's a good guy, probably a smart guy, but he is a legitimate black hole offensively. His defense even seems to be shaky right now.

He looks awful at the dish and in the field. Last night he was flat-footed and only managed to get a glove on and deflect the double down the line. All his throws to 1B (when on the move) are off-balance because he has ZERO flexibility. He also has ZERO range. Done. Toast. Bad, bad call on the extension.

Bring up Frazier to play 3B.

Unfortunately I think you are right and this is a bigger problem than most realize.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Outside of the Cards series this team has really struggled over the past 20 something games. I think we are lucky to be a game over .500. I think the continued play of Gomes really hurt this team. I think the unproductivity at 3rd and SS has hurt this team. I am worried that Homer now and maybe at some point Cueto's arm issues from ST are going to bite us. Then you have EV for whom is a head case and has issues with throwing strikes. I think we are also struggling with the idea of expectations. Sometimes that burden alone can be a pain...
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm just saying that there's a lot of things that had to align to create the mess we're in now. It's unfortunate but we're still a good team, once we get past this road trip and get a day off/guys start healing up I think we're gonna get back to winning a lot of games. We just need to survive the rest of this trip IMO.

If Bailey's issue was just spasms from swinging the bat then maybe it isn't that horrible, but you never know with these Bailey injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Oh yeah, I'm not saying we don't have problems. I'm just saying that there's a lot of things that had to align to create the mess we're in now. It's unfortunate but we're still a good team, once we get past this road trip and get a day off/guys start healing up I think we're gonna get back to winning a lot of games. We just need to survive the rest of this trip IMO.

If Bailey's issue was just spasms from swinging the bat then maybe it isn't that horrible, but you never know with these Bailey injuries.
    that is why i am asking what we need to do to shake things up. Also, I am not buying back spasms...not for one minute

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This team is screwed.

Management will go with what they got. If they're out of it come late July, the firesale of Cordero and Phillips will begin.

What this team needs is a willingness to increase payroll and take on some help via trade. But it won't happen. Ownership is too cheap and the Reds are small market.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    This team is screwed.

Management will go with what they got. If they're out of it come late July, the firesale of Cordero and Phillips will begin.

What this team needs is a willingness to increase payroll and take on some help via trade. But it won't happen. Ownership is too cheap and the Reds are small market.
    They won't deal Phillips. I can see them dealing Co-Co, but i really believe our division is so weak we won't be out of it till maybe early Sept so I don't see any dumping of talent.

How is ownership cheap? they just signed a number of player to extended deals, spent 30 million on a kid for Cuba and such. I would say they are fisically challenged maybe, but not cheap.

Turn Off Ads?