Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer to the DL? Career over?

Homer to the DL? Career over?

Words from Reds reporter Mark Sheldon..

Bailey to get checked out
    Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey was headed back to Cincinnati Thursday afternoon after he suffered a right shoulder spasm during a 10-4 loss to the Phillies. Bailey allowed four runs and five hits with one intentional walk and two strikeouts for a no-decision. The injury came as a hitter during a fourth-inning at-bat when he grounded out to first base. The club did not know the seriousness of the injury.

“He said he just felt some discomfort on the swing when he was hitting,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “You could tell his velocity went down quite a bit after that.”

Bailey has been exceptional this season with a 3-1 record and 3.00 ERA five starts. His season started on the disabled list because of an impingement in the same shoulder.

“It’s a little different,” Baker said. “He just said he felt pain when he went to reach when he was swinging. We’ll have to wait to see what we hear from Dr. Kremchek tomorrow.”

This was a development the Reds didn’t need. Not after Volquez got sent down on Monday. Not after Arroyo lasted 2 2/3 innings on Monday and had to get an MRI Tuesday because of back pain. And certainly not after they endured a gut-wrenching 19-inning loss on Wednesday.

Sorry but this is just not a good sign. Back in ST when he was diagnosed with the shoulder issue a medical site I read said that this type of injury will lead to the shoulder needing to be medically repaired. I am willing to bet we may have seen Homer for the last time this season and maybe forever as a Red.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: Homer to the DL? Career over?

A definite concern, but waaaaaaay to premature to venture a guess on what it means long-term.

The most disappointing thing is it resurfaces right when he seemed to be putting the mental aspect of pitching together with his physical gifts.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    A definite concern, but waaaaaaay to premature to venture a guess on what it means long-term.

The most disappointing thing is it resurfaces right when he seemed to be putting the mental aspect of pitching together with his physical gifts.

Spot on. I'll be praying for Homer tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Sorry but this is just not a good sign. Back in ST when he was diagnosed with the shoulder issue a medical site I read said that this type of injury will lead to the shoulder needing to be medically repaired. I am willing to bet we may have seen Homer for the last time this season and maybe forever as a Red.
    I may be remembering wrong, but I didn't think there was a lot of concern from the Reds regarding Bailey's injury in Spring Training. It's definitely disappointing that he got hurt at this point, but it's way too early to assume that Bailey's career is over.

How does one jump from shoulder spasm to career ending injury?

AHHHH, I know this is The Sun Deck and here at The Sun Deck the sky is always falling

Recovering Cubs Fan

Rolen didn't start today I think hes dead
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Matt Maloney put on the DL yesterday. Word on the street is that it doesn't look like he'll be able to lift his arm above his chest ever again....

In all seriousness though, it sucks for Bailey to have this happen right when he seems like he's putting it all together. Although the injury is concerning, I believe it is WAY too early to be speculating about the potential of it being career-ending. Nonetheless, here's to Homer for a speedy recovery!
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    Rolen didn't start today I think hes dead
    LOL

I literally was rolling on the floor when I read that.

@OP - I think you are being way too concerned at this point. Yes any issues with the shoulder can be troublesome but to already call his career over is over the top.

Are we gonna have any pitchers left?
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

if it was any other pitcher id be worried a lil but with baily how could you not be rly worried? the guy gets hurt every yr

remember a week and a half ago when we swept the Cards? what in the hell happenend?

Quote Originally Posted by arkimadee View Post
    remember a week and a half ago when we swept the Cards? what in the hell happenend?
    Pretty much exactly what happened after the Cards swept us last year.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

What this guy has done for the reputation of the Sun Deck is reminiscent of what the Flowbee did for home hair-cutting.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Where in the article did it suggest that it could be a career-ending injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    How does one jump from shoulder spasm to career ending injury?

AHHHH, I know this is The Sun Deck and here at The Sun Deck the sky is always falling
    Theres crazy's everywhere, dont limit it to here and the rest of us !
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?