Turn Off Ads?

Thread: could the Reds make a deal with the Giants?

could the Reds make a deal with the Giants?

The defending World Series Champion Giants' offense is the worst in the NL. This year it was mix & match guys everywhere except catcher. With Posey out for the year they are in deep doo doo and they know it. They recalled Brandon Belt from AAA hoping that he can hit the cover off the ball from here on out. I think they know that none of the guys they have can carry an offense. Getting Sandoval back will help but they need a lot more than that. They are hurting for any offensive help & need a catcher desperately.

With so many Reds' pitchers ineffective or hurt I think that some pitcher(s) somehow someway need to be acquired. So here is my question: could we send them Ramon or Hanigan for some pitching? I know their pitching is excellent. Do they have an extra arm? The team could go with Ramon/Corky or Hanigan/Corky for a few weeks if they feel Mes needs 'more seasoning'. (Thats owner speak for trying to avoid super two status). Or they could just call us Mes if they can get an arm for either Ramon or Hanigan.

Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: could the Reds make a deal with the Giants?

That thought popped in my mind as well. My choice would be Ramon, but I doubt you'd get much back. After all, it is just a very temporary fix for the Giants so they're not giving much up. I guess the biggest risk for the Reds would be, is it worth it to give up the relationship Ramon has forged with Cueto, Chapman, and Volquez?

Id be hesitant to trade our spanish speaking catcher at this time. Like Hebroncougar stated, I think he's done an outstanding job with our pitchers, and Im sure there is some 'comfort level' with Chapman and Hernandez.

If they were interested in Hanigan OR Mes, I would seriously entertain a trade. I highly doubt Cain/Lincecum would be on the table, but Id try for them if at all possible. Heck, anyone from their starting 5 wouldn't be bad...

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I guess the biggest risk for the Reds would be, is it worth it to give up the relationship Ramon has forged with Cueto, Chapman, and Volquez?
    While I have advocated in recent weeks hanging onto Hernandez for that very reason, it is important to notice the changed landscape:

1. 2 of the 3 pitchers you mentioned are now in Louisville, and it appears they will be there for a little while at least. If/when Volquez and Chapman make very significant impacts on the Reds, it likely won't be until after this year when Hernandez is gone anyway. You can always sign a Spanish-speaking catcher in Louisville.

2. You could probably get somewhat of a mini-bidding war between the Giants and Red Sox, two contending teams that need a short-term upgrade at catcher.

3. You'd be selling high on Hernandez, who is likely to see a reversion to his career norms in the upcoming months.

If the Reds could get one or the Giants or Red Sox's top 5 prospects and/or a SS or LF that could be helpful this year and next, I'd pull the trigger. The Reds could then get two months to see what D-Mez can do in the bigs, and if he's a huge success, potentially move Grandal for a much bigger fish at the deadline.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-27-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Id be hesitant to trade our spanish speaking catcher at this time. Like Hebroncougar stated, I think he's done an outstanding job with our pitchers, and Im sure there is some 'comfort level' with Chapman and Hernandez.

If they were interested in Hanigan OR Mes, I would seriously entertain a trade. I highly doubt Cain/Lincecum would be on the table, but Id try for them if at all possible. Heck, anyone from their starting 5 wouldn't be bad...

-Matt
    I used to think that way. But the more I watch the Reds the more I think Hanigan is a much better game caller and receiver. I think that Hernandez has more power in his bat than Hanigan but Ryan has better OBP ability.

I do think that while its nice to have a spanish speaking catcher, the time has come to make the moves that put your team in the best position to win, not build. If this were 2 years ago I may feel completely different but right now I want to see a "now" move made instead of a "building" move.

You guys are overvaluing Hernandez by a boatload (I think). I don't think you'd get much more than a mid prospect at this point.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Turn Off Ads?