Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Mag't have the balls to make the tough moves

Does Mag't have the balls to make the tough moves

I really wonder if Walt, the owner and even Dusty have it in them to make the tough call and make the tough move. I mean i really think they are either to soft or don't want to rock the boat, but the following things should happen:

1. Go to Scott Rolen and either ask him to retire, or ask him to step away from being the everyday 3rd basemen and bring up Todd Frazier and see what he can do there.

2. DFA Gomes, it's just that simple there is zero reason to keep this man on this team.

3. DFA Edgar and bring up Chris V, he is younger and can provide much more depth to the roster

4. Trade for a power hitter. Do whatever it takes, move whomever you need and get another bat in here.

But I am not sure if our mag't has the willingness to make these bold moves...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    NL Central champs

Re: Does Mag't have the balls to make the tough moves

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I really wonder if Walt, the owner and even Dusty have it in them to make the tough call and make the tough move. I mean i really think they are either to soft or don't want to rock the boat, but the following things should happen:

1. Go to Scott Rolen and either ask him to retire, or ask him to step away from being the everyday 3rd basemen and bring up Todd Frazier and see what he can do there.

2. DFA Gomes, it's just that simple there is zero reason to keep this man on this team.

3. DFA Edgar and bring up Chris V, he is younger and can provide much more depth to the roster

4. Trade for a power hitter. Do whatever it takes, move whomever you need and get another bat in here.

Scott Rolen is still an average NL third baseman, as stated in the veteran leadership thread and he needs to remain at that spot. I expect him to continue to improve with his season and end with an OPS right around .780 which is better than Frazier would probably do.

Why in the word would you DFA Edgar and bring up Chris? What if Chris fails and than you no longer have a starting SS since you just decided to cut every single position player that is currently in a slump.

Asking Rolen to retire is not going to improve the team. He is not going to be a star this year, but he's going to put up decent numbers and play great defense. I like Frazier for the future and would like to see him get some time this year, but he's not going to be as valuable to the team this year as Rolen.

And there's no reason to get rid of Edgar for Valaika. Cairo and Janish can already play all around the infield so there's no need for more versatility. Plus, he's not going to be much of an upgrade over Edgar at bat. Edgar's in a slump, but he'll come out of it and have a decent year. There's no guarantee of that with Valaika.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Scott Rolen is still an average NL third baseman, as stated in the veteran leadership thread and he needs to remain at that spot. I expect him to continue to improve with his season and end with an OPS right around .780 which is better than Frazier would probably do.

Why in the word would you DFA Edgar and bring up Chris? What if Chris fails and than you no longer have a starting SS since you just decided to cut every single position player that is currently in a slump.
    I didn't say cut Janish, just Edgar, and there is zero chance Chris could do any worse the Edgar, PLUS he is not only able but willing to play multiple positions, something Edgar refuses to do.

As for Rolen, he is old and getting older, he is not an everyday player at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Asking Rolen to retire is not going to improve the team. He is not going to be a star this year, but he's going to put up decent numbers and play great defense. I like Frazier for the future and would like to see him get some time this year, but he's not going to be as valuable to the team this year as Rolen.

And there's no reason to get rid of Edgar for Valaika. Cairo and Janish can already play all around the infield so there's no need for more versatility. Plus, he's not going to be much of an upgrade over Edgar at bat. Edgar's in a slump, but he'll come out of it and have a decent year. There's no guarantee of that with Valaika.
    Why do people think old aging players are all of a sudden going to find the fountain of youth and get better? Unless they are "juicing" they are NOT going to get better. We need to stop "livin in da past" and accept that Rolen and Edgar have played their best ball in the past and their numbers are not going to "rebound". People wake up, this is a young man's game (unless you juice) and it's time to stop this idea that old men play better then young kids...

No

Rolen could still be a force if he played 4 days a week

True 4 days a week would work. Would you as a fan like that or you just say that?

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Rolen could still be a force if he played 4 days a week
    What do you consider a 'force"?

Why do people think old aging players are all of a sudden going to find the fountain of youth and get better? Unless they are "juicing" they are NOT going to get better. We need to stop "livin in da past" and accept that Rolen and Edgar have played their best ball in the past and their numbers are not going to "rebound". People wake up, this is a young man's game (unless you juice) and it's time to stop this idea that old men play better then young kids...
    I don't expect them to put up monster numbers. I just don't see them being as bad as they've been so far for the rest of the year. Even at his current pace, with his defense, Rolen is probably an average 3rd baseman. Edgar has been bad, but he's not going to keep hitting 2-33. I expect him to hit about .260 - .270, which I don't think is unreasonable to expect

Recovering Cubs Fan

You know what would be really bold? Get your advice from internet knowitalls
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I don't expect them to put up monster numbers. I just don't see them being as bad as they've been so far for the rest of the year. Even at his current pace, with his defense, Rolen is probably an average 3rd baseman. Edgar has been bad, but he's not going to keep hitting 2-33. I expect him to hit about .260 - .270, which I don't think is unreasonable to expect
    So don't you think Chris V. could come close to that and be able to play multiple positions?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Seriously? You're joking right? He shouldn't be batting 4th. He should be batting 6th. But he is our best option at 3B, hands down.

I'd have no problem with DFA'ing Gomes. But the players would. This would seriously mess with team chemistry.

Renteria hasn't been bad. Valaika did nothing when up earlier in the season.

I said it in the offseason. Votto needs protection from the 4-hole. Bruce should be batting 4th, but Dusty won't do the lefty lefty thing in the batting order. He likes Rolen (righty) in between those two which provides no protection for Votto. Beltran would be a nice pickup but they can't afford him.

I don't think we'll see any moves. This team has it's highest payroll ever at $80M and won't be adding any. They will go to war with what they have and nothing more.

rolen would be GREAT if he batted like 7th but we would need anthor bat for that.

You don't ask Scott Rolen to retire in May. As a matter of fact, with the career Scott Rolen has enjoyed, he's entitled to retire when he wants to. Regarding the latter option, you also don't bring up young unproven players to "see what they can do" in May. You do that when you're out of the race in August and September.

No one here would disagree with that. Though Vottomatic makes a fair point that the players would.

Dude, does Renteria have pictures of you or something? You have a serious Edgar hate and Chris V man love thing going on here. Regardless of whether or not he's younger, younger does not always equal better. Besides that, if you wanted to get rid of Renteria that would be one thing. But don't, don't DON'T DFA him. He's a veteran SS with a good resume and some clutch postseason moments. Some team is going to have an interest in him even if his best days are behind him. You're not going to get a lot for him, but you should be able to get something, even if you have to get creative and package him with other parts. Heck, he's better now than Royce Clayton was for most of his career, and he was part of that lovely trade in 2006 with the Nationals.

Then see the above. I'm not saying Renteria will bring in a power hitter. He won't by himself... at least not a proven one. But Renteria and some other players might. I'm just not keen on simply DFA'ing players that other clubs might be willing to give you something for. I'll guarantee you if you look hard enough you can find a taker for Renteria.

Turn Off Ads?