Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs' last 10 games

8.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Drew Stubbs' last 10 games

19 Ks, 1 BB in last 47 ABs. That's unheard of for a leadoff hitter. In fact, could be historically bad. Would love Elias to check that out.

Will this pace force them to reconsider the 1 hole, or do you think they'll ride with him no matter what? Would seem to be better suited for 7th at this point.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs' last 10 games

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    19 Ks, 1 BB in last 47 ABs. That's unheard of for a leadoff hitter. In fact, could be historically bad. Would love Elias to check that out.

Will this pace force them to reconsider the 1 hole, or do you think they'll ride with him no matter what? Would seem to be better suited for 7th at this point.
    He's a strange case. He's a proficient stealer and has an acceptable (though unimpressive) OBP, but he's also a legitimate power hitter and has a high K rate. He's a valuable enough player that putting him in the 7-hole in this lineup would be a waste of his many talents.

I'm much more comfortable with him in leadoff if Brandon Phillips follows him up in the 2-hole. Having a guy like Phillips instead of Janish or Renteria there means that Votto, Rolen, and Bruce get that many more scoring opportunities. On days where that can't happen, I certainly wouldn't mind giving Fred Lewis a shot at leadoff. After all, isn't that one of the reasons Walt acquired him?

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    On days where that can't happen, I certainly wouldn't mind giving Fred Lewis a shot at leadoff. After all, isn't that one of the reasons Walt acquired him?
    I certainly thought so. He's usually hit leadoff throughout his career.

Somebody would have to ask Baker why he won't use him there.

I also seem to recall Stubbs stating that he was more comfortable batting lower in the lineup.

It would probably be a good idea to move him back until he starts hitting again. He's chewing up outs like candy right now. Go Heisey/Lewis, BPhil, Votto, Rolen, Bruce, Stubbs, Catcher, Pitcher, Janish (the pitchers are better hitters than Janish, why shouldn't he hit ninth?).

I've been thinking that it would be advantageous to move Stubbs down for a little while now. I'd give whoever is playing in left the opportunity to leadoff right now.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Everyone keeps forgetting that our manager is named Dusty Baker. And once he gets an idea in his head it stays there for a long time no matter how poorly it is working out.

I don't really mind Stubbs leading off. The only other option would be Lewis if he starts to hit...if that happens then I'd be all for the switch.

But it wasn't that long ago that Stubbs had a streak of 2 hit games or something like that. I know he Ks a lot but he hasn't been awful. He probably does need a day off though.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The center fielder always leads off in Dusty Baker's lineups. Don't you realize that yet? Because they're fast.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

It's easy to bag on Dusty but who should be leading off?

Heisey is a .200 batter when he starts (according to the broadcast last night) and Fred Lewis hasn't done a lot, though I hope his good game last night is a sign of things to come. I don't think anyone wants Phillips back up there...he has done well in the 2 hole...and with all of that Stubbs hasn't been horrible.

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The center fielder always leads off in Dusty Baker's lineups. Don't you realize that yet? Because they're fast.
    Dusty needs to fire Speier and get you in the dugout next to him

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    It's easy to bag on Dusty but who should be leading off?

Heisey is a .200 batter when he starts (according to the broadcast last night) and Fred Lewis hasn't done a lot, though I hope his good game last night is a sign of things to come. I don't think anyone wants Phillips back up there...he has done well in the 2 hole...and with all of that Stubbs hasn't been horrible.
    I definitely agree with that. Right now, even with his recent slump, he's on pace for one of his best seasons to date. I don't think Lewis is good enough overall to be our regular in a leadoff role (and if Gomes improves again, he won't be getting more than half the starts), but whenever Stubbs needs a change of pace, he should be used in that role. I also agree about Brandon Phillips... he's thriving in the 2 and 4 holes this year, and looked lost leading off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Sad but true. You're giving me Willy T flashbacks here.

I'd roll with this...

Lewis
    Phillips
    Votto
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Stubbs
    Hernandez
    Janish

Would seem to be better suited for 7th at this point.
    Agreed...one of the ten reasons to trade for Jose Reyes is to move Drew Stubbs down in the order. They'll never pull the trigger on such a deal, though.

With the generally good year Stubbs is having, I would hope no one would panick over 47 at bats.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?