Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Kemp

Re: Matt Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    What do you guys expect Walt and Dusty to say, "Our guys all suck and we are desperate for help in left field and short"
    I would expect Walt to be very quiet on the subject. The team has had a hole in LF since they traded away Adam Dunn in August of 2008. We are one day away from it being June of 2011. Nearly three years and the Reds still have a huge problem in LF. Yes, I would definitely expect the GM who hasn't filled that glaring need in three years to be very, very quiet on the subject.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would expect Walt to be very quiet on the subject. The team has had a hole in LF since they traded away Adam Dunn in August of 2008. We are one day away from it being June of 2011. Nearly three years and the Reds still have a huge problem in LF. Yes, I would definitely expect the GM who hasn't filled that glaring need in three years to be very, very quiet on the subject.
    It's pretty evident that the issue is a money/payroll increase, unfortunately.

Maybe I am overstepping my authority here, but I am putting Vottomatic in charge of making the deal that gets Kemp in a Reds' uniform. Don't worry about cost or prospects or any of that trivial stuff. Just make the deal and I will smooth it over with Walt and Bob. Git-r-done!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It's pretty evident that the issue is a money/payroll increase, unfortunately.
    Maybe, but i really believe that both Dusty and Walt believe Gomes will 'turn it around' and will wait and give him every chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If this team was willing to acquire both Kemp and Reyes, this team wins the division. But they can't afford it.
    I agree these guys would be a big upgrade from what we are currently trotting out to LF and SS, but the Reds have scored more runs than any team in baseball. Unless Kemp and Reyes can go into the starting rotation and put up 7+ innings of sub 3.00 era for the rest of the season I don't think they are going to cure what ails this team right now.

I actually wanted us to go after him in the offseason when he had a down year. The whole Dodgers team was a wreck last year and I thought we could have gotten him at a cheaper price than what it would cost us now

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post
    I actually wanted us to go after him in the offseason when he had a down year. The whole Dodgers team was a wreck last year and I thought we could have gotten him at a cheaper price than what it would cost us now
    I agree, Kemp probably would have been a good target last year. After his start this year, his value is much greater. Personally, I think Stubbs is over-rated. I have been really impressed with his improvement this year. But his number of K's and low OBP make him less valuable. He keeps improving, but the K numbers are just too high. There are not many CFers with his power numbers, speed, and great defense. So it is hard to give up on him, but the K numbers and low OBP make him an interesting case.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Maybe, but i really believe that both Dusty and Walt believe Gomes will 'turn it around' and will wait and give him every chance.
    I think you're too pessimistic about Dusty and Walt. Gomes is not getting much playing time right now. If he continues to hit like he has the last 2 games he'll be fine, but I don't think they're going to let him work through another prolonged slump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    I think you're too pessimistic about Dusty and Walt. Gomes is not getting much playing time right now. If he continues to hit like he has the last 2 games he'll be fine, but I don't think they're going to let him work through another prolonged slump.
    Why not, they let him continue to play last year after his numbers declined and then resigned him. They have played him much more then his numbers warrent. They will continue to run him out there, especially after last night and Sunday they will see him "coming" around.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Why not, they let him continue to play last year after his numbers declined and then resigned him. They have played him much more then his numbers warrent. They will continue to run him out there, especially after last night and Sunday they will see him "coming" around.
    Well he was sitting on the bench all of last week. I'm fine with him playing against lefties, and he's playing tonight but he's had good success off Greinke. I think Jonny as the everyday LF is done

Well he was sitting on the bench all of last week. I'm fine with him playing against lefties, and he's playing tonight but he's had good success off Greinke. I think Jonny as the everyday LF is done
    Yes, he lit Greinke up back in 2005. Last year he was 0-4 with 3 Ks. Which is more relevant?

Under normal leadership I would agree, but we don't have that in Cincy. Just about any other team with the depth of talent we have would hav DFA'ed Gomes weeks ago.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

According to the E:60 story on Gomes he's our everyday left fielder.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Destroyed us today. Made me drool thinking of him playing half his games in GABP.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Destroyed us today. Made me drool thinking of him playing half his games in GABP.
    The Reds would have 3 MVP candidates with Kemp batting 4th. Also maintains Dusty's lefty (Votto), righty (Kemp), lefty (Bruce) lineup.

Kemp makes $6.5M this year.

I could live with Janish at SS (although I'd like to see Cozart) and Rolen at 3B if they acquired Kemp.

Turn Off Ads?