Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Words from Walt

Words from Walt

The GM of the Reds had the following comments:

I give our guys credit. They’ve played hard. Eventually, we’re going to get back full strength and get back to first place

When his statement was run through the FBI's truthometer this is actually what he said...

I give our guys credit. They know our ownership group won't permit any additional monies added to the payroll, so they know they have to play hard because it's them or bust and Eventually, if things don't improve I will begin trading their butts off to add even more younger players in our minor league system we’re going to get back to full strength and get back to first place before the end of this decade.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Words from Walt

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but they play hard? So what. They are being paid hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollar's to play a kid's game. They should play hard. That should be a bare minimum. That should be expected; not held up as if it some admirable accomplishment.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

They play hard? I'll give them that. I just wish they'd add playing smart to that equation.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but they play hard? So what. They are being paid hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollar's to play a kid's game. They should play hard. That should be a bare minimum. That should be expected; not held up as if it some admirable accomplishment.
    Couldn't agree more.

Walt sounds like he's on cruise control. I see this season's post-season chances going down in flames, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I just wish they'd add playing smart to that equation.
    Speaking of which, did we hear anything from Rolen on his baserunning adventure the other night?

Phillips owned up to his and said he cost the team the game. Hopefully somebody gave Rolen the chance to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Speaking of which, did we hear anything from Rolen on his baserunning adventure the other night?

Phillips owned up to his and said he cost the team the game. Hopefully somebody gave Rolen the chance to do the same.
    What problem, Rolen was aggresive, he forced the outfield to make a perfect throw, I can't see how anyone would have an issue with what Rolen did. Brandon was just stupid, Rolen was being aggressive which is what we need given our horrible stats with RISP

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    What problem, Rolen was aggresive, he forced the outfield to make a perfect throw, I can't see how anyone would have an issue with what Rolen did. Brandon was just stupid, Rolen was being aggressive which is what we need given our horrible stats with RISP
    Two outs in the 8th inning of a tie game.

He took the bat out of the hands of the hottest hitter on the team, Bruce, whom they probably walk if the old man actually made it to second safely.

In this case, aggressive = stupid, IMO.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-30-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    They play hard? I'll give them that. I just wish they'd add playing smart to that equation.
    Spot on. But I'm afraid they will never learn to play smarter under Dusty. He doesn't demand tight baseball from his boys and doesn't hold players suffiently accountable for their (all too frequent) lapses.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Spot on. But I'm afraid they will never learn to play smarter under Dusty. He doesn't demand tight baseball from his boys and doesn't hold players suffiently accountable for their (all too frequent) lapses.

How do you know? Are you in the locker room and travel with the team?

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Couldn't agree more.

Walt sounds like he's on cruise control. I see this season's post-season chances going down in flames, personally.
    I'm not just picking on you, but I think a lot of people in this thread do not truly understand the position we are in. We can't go out and trade for a Jose Reyes unless we truly compromise our future. We're a small market team who relies heavily on our farm system to help us along. I'm pretty proud of the fact that we have guys like Votto/Bruce/Stubbs/Volquez/Cueto/Hanigan/Heisey . . etc starting and playing a lot for this team. I think a lot of people in Cincy underestimate that we can't just go out and make big splashes like a lot of other teams.

If we want to go out and trade for someone who'll not only be a rental player, but has 2-3 years left on contract, then I'd probably feel better about it. But Reyes is a guy who we'd have to give up Alonso/one of our top catchers/top arm JUST to start talking to them. We can't just go out and give up our future just so we get to see Jose Reyes in a Reds uniform for 3 months.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I'm not just picking on you, but I think a lot of people in this thread do not truly understand the position we are in. We can't go out and trade for a Jose Reyes unless we truly compromise our future. We're a small market team who relies heavily on our farm system to help us along. I'm pretty proud of the fact that we have guys like Votto/Bruce/Stubbs/Volquez/Cueto/Hanigan/Heisey . . etc starting and playing a lot for this team. I think a lot of people in Cincy underestimate that we can't just go out and make big splashes like a lot of other teams.

If we want to go out and trade for someone who'll not only be a rental player, but has 2-3 years left on contract, then I'd probably feel better about it. But Reyes is a guy who we'd have to give up Alonso/one of our top catchers/top arm JUST to start talking to them. We can't just go out and give up our future just so we get to see Jose Reyes in a Reds uniform for 3 months.
    At what point is the evaluation of talent over for this team, and when do they start deciding who to keep and who to trade for better parts?

There are some guys I'm not sold on and some big holes to fill on this team in a few areas.

I agree with Walt.

Through the losing slump they did play extremely hard.

That's all one can ask of a player and team.

There's nothing negative I can think of when it comes to these players.

They play like Champions and, as Walt said, they just have to keep playing like this and they will be Champions again.

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    How do you know? Are you in the locker room and travel with the team?
    Excellent point!
    The "experts" on here that know everything Dusty does is wrong because he is Dusty are humorous, yet annoying.
    Takes the fun out of message boards and talking baseball when the same idiots blast everything Dusty does.
    There are some who hate Dusty more than they love the team.
    A very sad thing

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

After watching so many Reds teams dog it for the greater part of the last 20 years, I don't see how anyone would take issue with a comment about playing hard. I appreciate the way these guys battle, win or lose.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?