Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minor League Transactions

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Minor League Transactions

Hamulack is 34 years old and spent 2010 pitching in independent ball. He's made the bigs before, but doesn't have a win- maybe that's why he came back. Situational lefty put up some videogame numbers at high levels a few years ago.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/profi...P=Tim-Hamulack

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dave Sappelt has rejoined the Bats team in Syracuse and should be activated within the next couple of days.

-The Insider-

Yay!

Carolina Mudcats...

Henry Rodriguez up from Bakersfield.
    Matt Klinker back from Louisville.
    Jose Castro goes on DL with left knee hyperextension.
    Clayton Schunick is headed to Bakersfield.

-The Insider-

It starts.

Does Walt have to sign off on all minor league transactions or are lower-level transactions at the discretion of the farm director? Does anyone know the answer to that?

-The Insider-

I think it's mostly the latter.

Major decisions are going to go through Bavasi. A promotion/demotion of a top prospect or player who got big money is going to be viewed as major. Sometimes a player might have gotten big money and there comes a point where pretty much everyone agrees that he is not playing well but influences at the top would need to give their blessing and that is usually not something that anyone is looking forward to discussing.

As far as daily changes, there could be some direction given by Jockety/Bavasi (Bavasi is a very powerful person in this organization, of course). Example might be, this year, they may say we are going to try to keep our clubs together for the first half and let them stay competitive and when needs arise at a higher level, we will fill in through free agency rather than just stripping the rosters of the teams below. That would be a philosophical thing and as you have seen, that is pretty much what they have done this year.

The Carolina club would not agree on that second paragraph in my last post.

Unfortunately, the Mudcats are feeling the talent void in the system that the A-clubs have felt over the last couple years.

Generally speaking, you don't improve your clubs within a season by doing a ton of promoting from within the system. When you run into what Carolina has hit this year, the only quick-fix is to go out a sign a bunch of guys released out of Triple-A. That is certainly not an ideal position to have to be in and no one would want that, but that is what you have to do (and they have tried to do that, to their credit. It just has not worked well because there was so little production from the guys who came up through the system).

Following up on this a bit more, I am sure some are reading this and saying, "outside of the Carolina fans, why does it really matter if the affiliate wins?"

Many reasons. Reds have lost several affiliations in recent years for one. But my real point is, you are developing a culture of what is ok, what is acceptable. When your prospects get to the majors and they are down 5-3 after seven innings, do you want them calling it quits, or believing they are going to come back and win? The Dayton club over the last three years is 7-159 when trailing after seven innings (2-66 in '09; 3-66 in '10; 2-27 in '11). You can see the losing attitude as soon as they fall behind.

Torii Hunter once told me after he made a diving catch to end a game with the bases loaded, "I just was not going to accept losing as an option." Losing was unacceptable to him. You want to develop that attitude. That is what you have to have at the big league level, and it forms on the way up.

Three of our four full season affiliates all finished last in 2010, and that is why they have tried to keep teams together this year, I am sure.

The Dayton club over the last three years is 7-159 when trailing after seven innings (2-66 in '09; 3-66 in '10; 2-27 in '11). You can see the losing attitude as soon as they fall behind.
    72, you seem to lump this year's club with the previous ones. Don't you think this crew is a different breed, what with the quality prospects and solid pitching?

Pitching is much better, absolutely. Postion players: I like Barnhart and Hamilton as prospects. Some others could emerge.

One thing about prospects that I would maybe see differently: There is nowhere near the consensus on prospects, coaches, managers, rovers, etc. as what is portrayed through media outlets. Once Baseball America jumps on something, and I do respect J.J. Cooper very much, the others all follow the leader. The consensus on prospects becomes almost universal among those people.

Scouts and baseball people couldn't care less what Baseball America says and they are far less in agreement on prospects than you would ever think. So while it might seem universally accepted because it is out there so much that, for example, Yorman, is a top 10 prospect in the organization, but for many scouts, they have their own opinion and they might not see that at all.

We need to see more of Yorman. He could take off in the second half and start showng something at the plate. For now, he is just a bad player with tools who got a lot of money.

I agree completely, '72. Fortunately, things are looking much better in 2012 (and 2013 and beyond). With the exception of weak pitching in AA again (that bullpen will be looking desperate) and weak hitting in A+ (then again, they could surprise you again like they did this year), the affiliates should be strong across the board.

Pitching is much better, absolutely. Postion players: I like Barnhart and Hamilton as prospects. Some others could emerge.

One thing about prospects that I would maybe see differently: There is nowhere near the consensus on prospects, coaches, managers, rovers, etc. as what is portrayed through media outlets. Once Baseball America jumps on something, and I do respect J.J. Cooper very much, the others all follow the leader. The consensus on prospects becomes almost universal among those people.

Scouts and baseball people couldn't care less what Baseball America says and they are far less in agreement on prospects than you would ever think. So while it might seem universally accepted because it is out there so much that, for example, Yorman, is a top 10 prospect in the organization, but for many scouts, they have their own opinion and they might not see that at all.

We need to see more of Yorman. He could take off in the second half and start showng something at the plate. For now, he is just a bad player with tools who got a lot of money.
    I agree 100% re: the sway BA holds over the fans' perceptions of prospects. Re: Yorman, I have a hard time believing he has been vastly overvalued as a prospect. Tony Arias has been a very good scout for the Reds, and I have to think Yorman had strong backing from Arias, opening the door for him to get that giant bonus. Yorman had some stellar numbers in Billings last summer, too. I could well be wrong, but you may be coming down a little too hard on him as a player. You were pretty tough on Mesoraco, too.

I am not speaking to Yorman's future and not trying to break down what kind of prospect he is or how he should be rated. I am commenting on what I see now. I can tell you there are scouts who have watched him this season and commented that he is not a prospect for them. If he goes on a hot streak and starts showing some skills that we have not seen yet, I am sure they are going to start changing their tunes.

As far as Mesoraco, when he was in Dayton he was a very poor defensive player. He held his own as a hitter. As you know, even Baseball America, which bases a lot on reputation since they do not have scouts, dropped him to the #30 position entering last season. He has really improved his game from what we saw in 2008 and I am really happy for him. Good kid. Always worked hard. A guy you pull for. I never said anything but good things about Mesoraco when it comes to character and work ethic. My issues with him were all based on the fact that he was so bad defensively at that time that it was hard to imagine him making enough improvement to be a major leaguer. But I also said to let him play and see if he can improve.

Huge, huge difference between Mesoraco and Yorman. One kid worked hard, tried to learn, busted his butt all the time and even when things were not going well and he had a ton of pressure as a number one pick, he never stopped working or never quit.

You are comparing two players there that could not possibly be any more different. Now, does that mean I am looking into a crystal ball and saying Yorman will never make it? No. Who knows what happens if the maturity light comes on. Some of the worst attitudes in sports made it (see Albert Belle).

One point I want to clarify is the difference between saying a guy has tools and a guy has talent. Yorman has some tools that we see. Michael Jordan as a baseball player had tools. If you took an Olympic sprinter and put him on a baseball field, he would have some tools.

Talent, I think, is a different matter. Yorman might have good speed if you asked him to run a 60 yard dash on a field at a workout. But when he is chasing a fly ball in the outfield, that same speed is not there, either because of a lack of effort or because he just doesn't have the instincts to go after the ball and catch it. He has not turned tools into baseball skills or baseball talent. His scouts saw those tools. I look at the player and I see a lack of baseball skills and then I see this prima donna attitude.

Turn Off Ads?