Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN Franchise Player Draft

ESPN Franchise Player Draft

Joey went 4th. Interesting to watch.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?pa...franchisedraft

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: ESPN Franchise Player Draft

It's cool. Been watching the whole thing. They're seemingly just selecting guys who have been good the last decade, not guys who will be good for the next 10-15 years, but whatever. Joe Mauer? He might never be the same and he's soon to be past his prime.

Tulo number 1 overall? That's a reach. Mike Trout and Bryce Harper are at least with the concept but to take them before Upton/Kemp/or Bruce is just totally a mess by these guys.

The best part of it all is watching Ol' Leatherpants dominate the chat log. These other guys can't get a word in edgewise. Makes you wonder what Jimbo was really like on REAL MLB draft day in the war room.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Tulo would be my #1. The only other guy who would come close would be Han Ram. You have a GG defensive SS who may just be one of the best offensive hitters in the NL.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Tulo would be my #1. The only other guy who would come close would be Han Ram. You have a GG defensive SS who may just be one of the best offensive hitters in the NL.
    HanRam went #20.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    HanRam went #20.
    There is no way I am taking a starting pitcher as high as they are going. Give me a player who can impact the outcome of a game every day of the week instead of one who can impact the game once every 5 days. Starlin Castro ahead of HanRam?!?!?!

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Love how they took Halladay and Bautista... have fun with your 'franchise' when those guys are 35 and 37 in a few years. I hate ESPN.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Love how they took Halladay and Bautista... have fun with your 'franchise' when those guys are 35 and 37 in a few years. I hate ESPN.
    You gotta take Bautista.

Interesting that 8 of the top 10 and 18 of the top 30 are National Leaguers. I suspect that wouldn't have been the case a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    There is no way I am taking a starting pitcher as high as they are going. Give me a player who can impact the outcome of a game every day of the week instead of one who can impact the game once every 5 days. Starlin Castro ahead of HanRam?!?!?!
    Yeah but a pitcher only has to face 20-25 hitters to match the "impact" of your every day player. I suppose you could argue the every day player plays defense every play, but even then, he makes a play on what 3 or 4 balls per night?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Yeah but a pitcher only has to face 20-25 hitters to match the "impact" of your every day player. I suppose you could argue the every day player plays defense every play, but even then, he makes a play on what 3 or 4 balls per night?
    Yea and if a pitcher wins every start he wins what 35 games? A position player has the chance to effect 162 games. I know the argument being brought up, but I don't buy it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Given how easily it is for a pitcher to get hurt and never be the same, I wouldn't have drafted one at all. I was wondering where Bryce Harper was going to go, I was guessing around 15, but wasn't surprised when he went a little earlier. I would have certainly drafted Jay Bruce in the first round, even ahead of a few other outfielders that went before him (Justin Upton for example).

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For what it's worth, focusing on the core confrontation of Batter vs. Pitcher: Rickie Weeks led the major leagues last season with 754 plate appearances. Meanwhile, Felix Hernandez faced 1,001 batters.

I suppose I'd give a slight edge to the hitter anyway because of the defense factor (presuming he's actually good), but it's splitting hairs. The position player can affect the game every day, but most days he's not the difference between winning and losing. The starting pitcher goes only every five days, but his performance almost always matters greatly to whether the team wins or loses that day. Six of one, half dozen of the other.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Turn Off Ads?