Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Stubbs and the called third strike

  1. #1
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,941

    Stubbs and the called third strike

    Just wondering, is there another player in MLB that is called out on strikes as much as Stubbs, especially on 0-2 and 1-2 counts?

    With his speed, just getting the ball in play could easily mean a hit.

    Not protecting the plate on those counts constitutes a major failing, IMO, on his part and on the part of the coaching staff.

    Add that to his outright refusal to attempt more than one bunt every 50 games, and somebody isn't doing his job.
    Last edited by malcontent; 06-01-2011 at 04:01 AM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    1,174

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Stubbs is going to K a lot, it's just the way he hits. I agree the bunt is a good option/idea, but he has a hard enough time hitting soft ground balls. He could up his OBP by 20 points if he could just chop a few per week up the left field line.

    Stubbs either smokes the ball or misses it. It is what it is. And he's good, don't get me wrong.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    you can say you cant bunt but if you would just try every so often in a game im sure you could improve.

  5. #4
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Just wondering, is there another player in MLB that is called out on strikes as much as Stubbs, especially on 0-2 and 1-2 counts?

    With his speed, just getting the ball in play could easily mean a hit.

    Not protecting the plate on those counts constitutes a major failing, IMO, on his part and on the part of the coaching staff.

    Add that to his outright refusal to attempt more than one bunt every 50 games, and somebody isn't doing his job.
    According to baseball-reference.com Stubbs numbers on 0-2 count are staggeringly pitiful. In 83 PA when Stubbs has put the ball in play, and I say that in the loosest terms possible, he has garnered just five hits for an .061 batting average. He has struck out 58 times in that situation. 70% of the time when something happens on an 0-2 count, that something is Drew grabbing some pine.
    His number after an 0-2 count are not much better. The bottom line is if the pitcher gets up 0-2 on Drew, good things aren't gonna happen for the Reds.
    Maybe every time the count reaches 0-2 he should just bunt. How could it be any worse?
    Last edited by texasdave; 06-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.

  6. #5
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,941

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to baseball-reference.com Stubbs numbers on 0-2 count are staggeringly pitiful. In 83 PA when Stubbs has put the ball in play, and I say that in the loosest terms possible, he has garnered just five hits for an .061 batting average. He has struck out 58 times in that situation. 70% of the time when something happens on an 0-2 count, that something is Drew grabbing some pine.
    His number after an 0-2 count are not much better. The bottom line is if the pitcher gets up 0-2 on Drew, good things aren't gonna happen for the Reds.
    Maybe every time the count reaches 0-2 he should just bunt. How could it be any worse?
    It really couldn't.

    But would he take strike three waiting for the best possible pitch to bunt?

    Stubbs seems smarter than he's playing in this regard. But again, I fault Baker and the staff for not getting through to him.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grantham, PA
    Posts
    281

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It really couldn't.

    But would he take strike three waiting for the best possible pitch to bunt?

    Stubbs seems smarter than he's playing in this regard. But again, I fault Baker and the staff for not getting through to him.
    Baker has been busy spending 1 on 1 time coaching Gomes (no joke).

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Grantham, PA
    Posts
    281

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Stubbs leads the league in K's. Two more than Adam Dunn.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Stubbs leads the league in K's. Two more than Adam Dunn.
    and every other stat he beat him

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,508

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by mu4103 View Post
    Stubbs leads the league in K's. Two more than Adam Dunn.
    61 more ab also

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    369

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Stubbs has been awful at the plate lately. I can understand a strikeout rate between 25-30% but what he's been doing recently has been abysmal. He needs something to turn him around.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    way-east of cincinnati
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    He's not a lead-off hitter. But then there is no lead-off on this team currently. If he were to bat in a more insulated spot in the order, his numbers would be more to our liking. All the way through his journey to the Bigs, the Organization tried him as Lead-off, and he floundered. He hit when he was moved down in the Line-up. You would think certain someones paid attention in History Class. The only other current regular to see extensive lead-off is Phillips, who is a natural #2, whose avg. drops significantly as #1. Sappelt in LF can't get happen soon enough.......

  13. #12
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Stubbs is going to K a lot, it's just the way he hits..
    An absolutely unacceptable approach, IMHO. K a lot in Cedar Rapids, not Cincinnati.

    (Yeah, yeah. I know CR isn't a Reds affiliate anymore. Just a saying me the friends have held onto.)
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  14. #13
    5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South of Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    and every other stat he beat him
    That ain't sayin' much in the year 2011.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    871

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    According to baseball-reference.com Stubbs numbers on 0-2 count are staggeringly pitiful. In 83 PA when Stubbs has put the ball in play, and I say that in the loosest terms possible, he has garnered just five hits for an .061 batting average. He has struck out 58 times in that situation. 70% of the time when something happens on an 0-2 count, that something is Drew grabbing some pine.
    His number after an 0-2 count are not much better. The bottom line is if the pitcher gets up 0-2 on Drew, good things aren't gonna happen for the Reds.
    Maybe every time the count reaches 0-2 he should just bunt. How could it be any worse?
    That's true for just about everyone. Jay Bruce, for example, this year his hitting .130 and OPS .391 on 0-2 counts. Votto is the best on the team on 0-2, with a .204 BA and .474 OPS.

    You go 0-2 on any hitter, and you own him. It's why it is so important for pitchers to get ahead early in the count.

  16. #15
    BAKER12
    Guest

    Re: Stubbs and the called third strike

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    It really couldn't.

    But would he take strike three waiting for the best possible pitch to bunt?

    Stubbs seems smarter than he's playing in this regard. But again, I fault Baker and the staff for not getting through to him.
    A shock that you are blaming Dusty for something
    Then you need to applaud Dusty and Jacoby for their work with Bruce


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25