Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OSU vs. UC (Yahoo sports)

Re: OSU vs. UC (Yahoo sports)

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    UC fans already view this series as a David and Golliath type battle. It's not as if they are saying that a victory over OSU would make UC the perennial powerhouse. However, much of the anger on the UC side comes from the way Ohio State has seemingly been afraid of UC when UC is good. The 1990's were a time when a series between the schools could have benefited both parties involved. Instead, OSU waited until after the program was in pieces to play UC on national television, and embarrass the "little brother." Even now, OSU won't schedule a game because they wouldn't want the embarrassment of the little brother beating them.

Ohio State never has a problem scheduling games against the smaller scchools in Ohio. They take advantage of teams like Akron and Youngstown State. It's fair to say that if Youngstown State became a national power, Ohio State would do their best either not to schedule them, or schedule them on a drastically lopsided basis.

OSU and UC should play on a yearly basis in a home-and-home situation. The excuses that both parties have used over the years as to why a series is not scheduled are getting old.
    Being from Cincinnati but an OSU grad there really isn't much animosity towards UC up in Columbus. I don't really mean this to sound like an insult but they are an after thought when it comes to basketball or football. In football there are obviously more bitter rivals and in basketball you have the likes of MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and a slew of other national powers they play every season.

For years OSU has tried to spread the wealth around in football. They have played pretty much every in state D1 football school on a rotation and even given a home date to some of the schools. It was more a financial move by OSU to benefit the other state universities than it was a competitive issue. Before UC moved to the Big East there was no incentive to play a CUSA team over a MAC team.

I don't really know if there is a big brother little brother issue going on in Columbus. I know a few years ago when UC went undefeated in the regular season UC fans sure had a fun time playing that up. The bUCkeye State was in good fun until UF came along. I root for UC sports in every game except when they would play OSU. I would like to see a rivalry renewed in Basketball and even football for that matter. But as a UC fan I would also like to see UK and UC begin to play more often than once every 25 years.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Being from Cincinnati but an OSU grad there really isn't much animosity towards UC up in Columbus. I don't really mean this to sound like an insult but they are an after thought when it comes to basketball or football. In football there are obviously more bitter rivals and in basketball you have the likes of MSU, Purdue, Wisconsin, and a slew of other national powers they play every season.

For years OSU has tried to spread the wealth around in football. They have played pretty much every in state D1 football school on a rotation and even given a home date to some of the schools. It was more a financial move by OSU to benefit the other state universities than it was a competitive issue. Before UC moved to the Big East there was no incentive to play a CUSA team over a MAC team.

I don't really know if there is a big brother little brother issue going on in Columbus. I know a few years ago when UC went undefeated in the regular season UC fans sure had a fun time playing that up. The bUCkeye State was in good fun until UF came along. I root for UC sports in every game except when they would play OSU. I would like to see a rivalry renewed in Basketball and even football for that matter. But as a UC fan I would also like to see UK and UC begin to play more often than once every 25 years.
    I just don't see how it's fair for OSU to have a scheduled game against UC, only to pay a million dollars to get out of it once they realized that UC football wasn't awful for once. Obviously OSU was still the better team, but they wouldn't give UC the chance is what I'm saying.

It's ridiculous to think that OSU and UC shouldn't be playing yearly atleast in basketball. There are a number of open schedule spots for each team every year. The rivalry would be spirited in that it's the only major sport that UC can compete with OSU in on a yearly basis.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

It just doesn't make sense, in football, to do a home and home with UC. Home football games at osu pay for almost every other sport. So to give up another home game doesn't make sense. Especially when osu knows that the game will be played at Paul brown and osu will have more then half the crowd, yet not reap the money from it.

In basketball, I don't see why they can't play. Osu losing wouldn't hurt them in recruiting much either. Matta recruits nationally now more then ever.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I just don't see how it's fair for OSU to have a scheduled game against UC, only to pay a million dollars to get out of it once they realized that UC football wasn't awful for once. Obviously OSU was still the better team, but they wouldn't give UC the chance is what I'm saying
    I don't think it had much to do with UC getting good. They paid $1M to get out of the game because of the amount of money a home football game brings in to Columbus. The program is budgeted on certain number of home games per year. This was also at the same time when UC was selling their home and home back to Virgina Tech for money and playing UT in a one and done for money. Yet for some reason OSU gets all of the UC's fans backlash for "ducking UC".

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't think it had much to do with UC getting good. They paid $1M to get out of the game because of the amount of money a home football game brings in to Columbus. The program is budgeted on certain number of home games per year. This was also at the same time when UC was selling their home and home back to Virgina Tech for money and playing UT in a one and done for money. Yet for some reason OSU gets all of the UC's fans backlash for "ducking UC".
    The reason OSU gets the backlash is because OSU approached UC, not the other way around. OSU didn't even want to buy out the game, they wanted to pull out all together. UC had to negotiate to get the game moved to Columbus to keep from losing the game. It was not the same as Virginia Tech or UT. Thats not to say that OSU only wanted out of the game to "duck" UC, but it was likely a contributing issue.

Yes, OSU opted out of the 2012 return to Paul Brown. UC then approached OSU to play the game anyways, and that's when they came to terms on the $1M payout to have the game in Columbus. This, combined with OSU only playing UC in basketball when UC had one-letter winner on the roster to play leaves a very bad taste in the mouth of UC fans.

As for Va Tech, the return game was to occur this season, but Va Tech delayed the game a year (UC didn't purposely schedule them and OSU in the same non-conference schedule). UC moved the game to DC because they needed the money, plain and simple.

Tennesse was a case of both teams had to fill a hole in their schedule (courtesy of Va Tech moving from 2011 to 2012).
    Last edited by paintmered; 06-06-2011 at 06:26 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?