Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce breaking into the top 7, with a vengeance!

Bruce breaking into the top 7, with a vengeance!

Has anyone played better than Bruce in the last month? I know that everyone has been talking about how well Bautista is playing for the Blue Jays, blah blah etc...But hasn't Bruce been playing that well for the Reds? And maybe even a little bit better?
    http://www.upperdeckreport.com/news_...rrer_id=290721

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bruce breaking into the top 7, with a vengeance!

Jay Bruce is one heck of a talent.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I heard an interview he did, and he finally said what I've been waiting to hear from him. They asked what did he change with his hitting approach, and he said he's not swinging at the pitches the pitcher wants him to swing at. He's making them throw a pitch he can hit.

He finally figured it out. Sweet.

I really think this is the difference in Jay Bruce.

The crazy thing with that list is 5 out of the 10 come from the Cards, Brewers and Reds, and the list doesn't include Votto or Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    The crazy thing with that list is 5 out of the 10 come from the Cards, Brewers and Reds, and the list doesn't include Votto or Pujols.
    You are completely correct.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    What's even crazier is that the NL Central doesn't have an elite World Series contending team despite all of those great players.

Also the team in the NL Central with the highest payroll (Cubs) don't have any players on that list.

Jay Bruce is more talented than Votto

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Whoooa, don't go all crazy, let Bruce do it for a year or two. Then I would agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Whoooa, don't go all crazy, let Bruce do it for a year or two. Then I would agree.
    he's definately not as good right, but his overall potential is higher and that's what i meant

he's definately not as good right, but his overall potential is higher and that's what i meant
    If Jay Bruce ever starts getting on base as much as Votto, then we can talk. Until then, it's easily Votto.

Jay Bruce is more talented than Votto. I'll say it too. And that's not a slight against Votto, either.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

I think, in regards to Bruce and Votto, that their talents are quite a bit different. Bruce was brought up and groomed to be our power hitting lefty, while Votto, although the power is nice, was brought up to hit for average, get on base, and lead this team. Am I wrong? Bruce's power/hitting talents are still a bit undiscovered, but Votto has qualities that Bruce just doesn't have in the clubhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by ntorvik View Post
    I think, in regards to Bruce and Votto, that their talents are quite a bit different. Bruce was brought up and groomed to be our power hitting lefty, while Votto, although the power is nice, was brought up to hit for average, get on base, and lead this team. Am I wrong? Bruce's power/hitting talents are still a bit undiscovered, but Votto has qualities that Bruce just doesn't have in the clubhouse.
    Votto has slugged better and gotten on base more than Bruce every year of his major league career except this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if Votto slugs better again by the end of the season. That, and their on base rates are not even close. Votto is way ahead and he's been so the entire time they've been in the majors together.

Would a rivalry ever come between these two? I doubt it, they are pretty professional. It crossed my mind the other day when I was thinking of the movie 61 about Mantle and Maris. Fans need to start chanting "MVP" when Bruce walks up to the plate.

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Was impressed with his approach against Kershaw today. That knock up the middle was a sweet swing. You wouldn't have seen that from him early last year or prior to that.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?