Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

mehh.... I'll wait for it on DVD.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Unless they're going to stay consistent with the original film (nuclear war = smart monkeys, forbidden zone, broken Statue of Liberty), I'll pass.

I enjoyed the Tim Burton remake a few years ago, but I don't think there's a lot more to mine from this franchise.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Saw the new trailer (not sure if that is it above yet) tonight when I went to see X-men: First Class (very good) but it was enough to probably entice me to see it, pending good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I enjoyed the Tim Burton remake a few years ago, but I don't think there's a lot more to mine from this franchise.
    That ending still confused the heck out of me. Couldn't figure it out.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Unless they're going to stay consistent with the original film (nuclear war = smart monkeys, forbidden zone, broken Statue of Liberty), I'll pass.

I don't really get how this movie fits with either the Tim Burton remake or the original franchise. It also seems ridiculous to have that many chimps, gorillas and orangutans running around in the US compared to the real numbers of great apes left today worldwide. Where do they call come from?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I don't really get how this movie fits with either the Tim Burton remake or the original franchise. It also seems ridiculous to have that many chimps, gorillas and orangutans running around in the US compared to the real numbers of great apes left today worldwide. Where do they call come from?
    Someone posted on another board I read:

"6 billion people, armed with tanks, fighter jets, and cruise missles vs. 150,000 smart primates. Unless this gas makes the chimps bulletproof, I think I'll bet on the humans winning this one."

We saw the trailer last night when we saw X-Men, and it made me think "wait for HBO" on this one.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This looks more like a re-imagining of the 3rd and 4th film in the series. It would probably be the second most interesting section of the Apes series to modern audiences, since the spectre of nuclear war doesn't loom nearly as large as it did in the 60s.

YouTube - ‪Ricardo Montalban in Escape from the Planet of the Apes‬‏YouTube - ‪CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - Trailer‬‏

Of course, the original Apes series was an allegory for the hot-button issues of that time. It would probably be off-topic for this forum to discuss what allegorical references there are in this new film.

Someone posted on another board I read:

"6 billion people, armed with tanks, fighter jets, and cruise missles vs. 150,000 smart primates. Unless this gas makes the chimps bulletproof, I think I'll bet on the humans winning this one."
    I saw the trailer last night when i watched X-Men and I thought the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I didn't realize what a phenomenon the 'Apes' series was back in the day until I saw a documentary about it the other day. Given that they call this ape 'Cesear' it sounds like Unassisted has it right. The fear of nuclear war is replaced with genetic engineering.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

i just watch it on the tv last week and i laugh when i watch Bill Ibrahim Linkin in the ape shape

My son has "rediscovered" those old movies and is enthralled with them. So I'll have to take him to see this one when it comes out. Inevitable. LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4759984.story

Looks like it might not be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4759984.story

Looks like it might not be that bad.
    Rotten Tomatoes has it at 80% (Top Critics 84%) positive -- this one actually might be worth seeing.

Turn Off Ads?