Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Isn't Jay Bruce the NL MVP at this point?

Isn't Jay Bruce the NL MVP at this point?

Not to put pressure on him, but the simple move Dusty made to bat him behind Joey might become legend. It has been a factor in every game since. This team has looked different from precisely the moment that decision was made.

Just sayin'.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Isn't Jay Bruce the NL MVP at this point?

Your thread title brings up an interesting question. Who is the NL MVP at this point?

Votto's OBP/OPS makes him my choice today, despite not having as "glamourous" a season as Bruce. The guy gets on base like a champ.

Hard to believe there is a legitimate question as to which of 2 players on the Reds should be MVP. (Granted a couple guys from other teams are in the running as well)

Cruisin' for trouble

Here's a fairly reasoned assessment of the NL MVP race to date - it's still Votto.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...s-2011-nl-mvp/

Not sure where I read it, but there was a comment made that Bruce's recent hot streak has not necessarily correlated to Reds wins. In all fairness, that's hardly Jay's fault. If he consistently demonstrates his May abilities, the MVP will be a shoe-in.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Here's a fairly reasoned assessment of the NL MVP race to date - it's still Votto.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...s-2011-nl-mvp/

Not sure where I read it, but there was a comment made that Bruce's recent hot streak has not necessarily correlated to Reds wins. In all fairness, that's hardly Jay's fault. If he consistently demonstrates his May abilities, the MVP will be a shoe-in.
    Article makes a really good point about Votto's RBI's. He'd probably have 60 with some better OBP ahead of him and protection in the 4 spot.

Interesting to see this link below the MVP discussion. Didn't realize he'd been scuffling so bad.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...aw-last-night/
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Article makes a really good point about Votto's RBI's. He'd probably have 60 with some better OBP ahead of him and protection in the 4 spot.
    I'm not sure that's the case right now just because even with someone good behind him, teams would still rather pitch to the someone good than him. We've already seen Votto walk several times in the games that Bruce has been hitting fourth. Teams aren't exactly going after Bruce either, but they're still avoiding Votto quite a bit.

You're absolutely correct, though, that his RBI total would probably be higher than it is now. I just wonder if it would be too much greater. They really don't want much to do with him (understandably).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

IMO the MVP is not a Cincinnati Red at this point. I believe we have two Albert Pujols' from a year ago on our team. The only reason I say this is because the MVP usually comes from a winner. Right now we are in 3rd place. The way I see it, if these two are so valuable, the team should be in 1st place. Right now they are just two sets of good stats. The MVP is supposed to be the guy that his team could not win without and with the lack of wins, it looks like their efforts are not enough. The day this team takes over the division lead and these guys are still leading the way, is when we need to start arguing about how they will take votes away from each other and a third party will win by default.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

20 years ago I'd say he's the clear favorite. But if the voting took place today, I'd put my money on Braun or Berkman, probably Berkman. The voters will want to reward the story of him going back to the outfield and getting his offensive game back for a division leading squad.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    The way I see it, if these two are so valuable, the team should be in 1st place.
    What more could they do? Pitch?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I think the winner of the MVP this year will be on the team that manages to win the central. Logical arguments could be made for Votto, Berkman, Holliday, or Braun.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I think the winner of the MVP this year will be on the team that manages to win the central. Logical arguments could be made for Votto, Berkman, Holliday, or Braun.
    Berkman? That would be a joke. Though right now he is hot.

Holliday or Votto would make much more sense.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

No Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Berkman? That would be a joke. Though right now he is hot.

Holliday or Votto would make much more sense.
    I don't know why Berkman would be a joke. He has been a huge reason why the Cards are in 1st place.

Kal, this might sound crazy, but Bruce needs to raise that average a bit before I consider him an MVP candidate. Right now, it seems that he is doing the best impression of Ryan Howard in 2006. Howard won the MVP in 2006 but many feel, including me, that he was a product more of the lineup he was in. There was no way he should have won the MVP over Pujols that year. Right now, if Bruce were to receive the MVP over Votto, it would truely be a shame.

I also believe that at the end of the year, Pujols is still going to be a factor in this discussion. The way he has been swinging the bat lately, by the end of the year he could be up to his traditional numbers.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

I don't know why Berkman would be a joke. He has been a huge reason why the Cards are in 1st place.

Kal, this might sound crazy, but Bruce needs to raise that average a bit before I consider him an MVP candidate. Right now, it seems that he is doing the best impression of Ryan Howard in 2006. Howard won the MVP in 2006 but many feel, including me, that he was a product more of the lineup he was in. There was no way he should have won the MVP over Pujols that year. Right now, if Bruce were to receive the MVP over Votto, it would truely be a shame.

I also believe that at the end of the year, Pujols is still going to be a factor in this discussion. The way he has been swinging the bat lately, by the end of the year he could be up to his traditional numbers.
    Bruce isn't a product of his line up. He isn't the MVP right now, but his numbers aren't from the line up at all.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Votto or Bruce...MVP.

This is not a bad thing

Turn Off Ads?