Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Playoffs or No Playoffs

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this team makes the playoffs - NO MATTER WHAT

8 21.62%
  • Makes the playoffs - IF a trade is made to significantly upgrade Starting Pitching, LF, and/or SS

13 35.14%
  • No, this team fails to make the playoffs - NO MATTER WHAT

16 43.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Playoffs or No Playoffs for the Reds?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Poll: Playoffs or No Playoffs for the Reds?

It's June 5th and the Reds are currently losing 7-4 in the 5th inning to the Dodgers. You've seen enough of this team to make a prediction of playoffs or no playoffs. They are currently in third place, but not that far out of it. So, this thing COULD go either way. It's not like they're comfortably in first place or 10 games out where it's pretty clearcut what will happen.

So..........time for predictions.

1. Yes, they make the playoffs - NO MATTER WHAT.
    2. Yes, they make the playoffs - BUT ONLY IF a significant trade upgrade is made to improve starting pitching, LF, or SS.
    3. No, they don't make the playoffs NO MATTER WHAT.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poll: Playoffs or No Playoffs for the Reds?

i think without question from what weve seen so far this year that the reds are gonna make the playoffs in some capacity.

yes if they make a trade for a shortstop or leftfielder

BAKER12

Preference in this order
    LF
    SP
    SS

BAKER12

The reason I say SP, is we have not one guy better than a # 3 or 4 starter on most teams
    Amazing that with the terrible starting pitching and pitiful production from LF and SS that we are .500

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    The reason I say SP, is we have not one guy better than a # 3 or 4 starter on most teams
    Amazing that with the terrible starting pitching and pitiful production from LF and SS that we are .500
    I disagree. I think Cueto is atleast a #2 and sometimes a #1 when he's on.

Arroyo is a #3 or 4.
    Bailey is a #3, sometimes a #2.
    Wood is really fallen off. He trains with Cliff Lee, and based on him dominating sometimes last year, I really thought he was going to be a dominant control pitcher, but something has gone wrong.
    Leake is a #4 or 5. Could improve over time.
    Volquez is a #3 with higher potential.

no way this team makes the playoffs, way too many needs and Walt doesn't have the money

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I disagree. I think Cueto is atleast a #2 and sometimes a #1 when he's on.

Arroyo is a #3 or 4.
    Bailey is a #3, sometimes a #2.
    Wood is really fallen off. He trains with Cliff Lee, and based on him dominating sometimes last year, I really thought he was going to be a dominant control pitcher, but something has gone wrong.
    Leake is a #4 or 5. Could improve over time.
    Volquez is a #3 with higher potential.
    Of the guys currently on Roster, only Cueto has performed up that potential
    The rest are # 5's at best based on this season

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I don't see it happening.

We need too much starting pitching. I'm not worried about SS or LF this season because our offense can overcome the deficiencies there and we have guys in Louisville who I think will come up and contribute.

Starting pitching is the key. I have no idea how SP depth went from the strength of the team to the total crap fest it's been lately. Cueto and Home are our only rotation guys with an ERA under 400 (2.27 and 3.00...everyone else is above 5.0). We need to trade for solid pitching, but it's not cheap. I would trade some prospects for Charlie Morton. He is the perfect pitcher for GABP and could be cheap. And we all know the Pirates front office doesn't hesitate to drop players.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    I would trade some prospects for Charlie Morton. He is the perfect pitcher for GABP and could be cheap. And we all know the Pirates front office doesn't hesitate to drop players.
    Pirates are about to pass the Reds in the standings. I doubt they trade Morton when they could finish above .500 for the first time in a gazilion years.

This team will NOT make the playoffs. Poor (at best) pitching (starting and relief both) except for Cueto, Bailey (not healthy) and Cordero. The acquisition of Renteria and Lewis were worthless. Cards and Brewers made offseason acquisitions that have helped immensely. Berkman, Marcum etc. Just too much to overcome. Last year we won by beating up on the poor teams. This year, we can't seem to beat them....example Pirates, Dodgers....Third place at best finish. We need $$$$$. Team playing poorly at home equals lower attendance, which means we can't afford to get
    expensive players. How do you win?

I believe that when Votto signed his contract for three years instead of a longer term, it was so he could go to a contender at the end of it if the Reds weren't contending.

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    Of the guys currently on Roster, only Cueto has performed up that potential
    The rest are # 5's at best based on this season
    Bailey has pitched much better than a #5, albeit in a limited number of games.

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    I believe that when Votto signed his contract for three years instead of a longer term, it was so he could go to a contender at the end of it if the Reds weren't contending.
    BINGO! The so called long term deal the Reds gave Votto was a joke, where was a 5-7 year deal like they inked Bruce to? Lets face it, if changes aren't made in terms of a salary cap in MLB the Reds are NEVER going to win a World Series again let alone be successful.

Turn Off Ads?