Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2011 Draft Day Thread - Day 1

Official 2011 Draft Day Thread - Day 1

Let the fun begin!
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-06-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Official 2011 Draft Day Thread - Day 1

Everyone says the Pirates are absolutely 100% taking Gerrit Cole.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Everyone says the Pirates are absolutely 100% taking Gerrit Cole.
    I won't be looking fwd to the Reds facing him, but good for them taking a top talent.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I won't be looking fwd to the Reds facing him, but good for them taking a top talent.
    Pirates are beginning to look like the next Royals, who are looking like the next D-Rays.

Cole, Tallion, Heredia, Allie, Sanchez, Alvarez, McCutchen, Tabata. They are building a pretty strong system. Of course it helps when you pick in the Top 5 every year.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Pirates are beginning to look like the next Royals, who are looking like the next D-Rays.

Cole, Tallion, Heredia, Allie, Sanchez, Alvarez, McCutchen, Tabata. They are building a pretty strong system. Of course it helps when you pick in the Top 5 every year.
    I would be concerned if I didn't like what we have so much. Wasn't it just last year we were "the next Rays"?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

Sure but Alvarez, Cole, Tallion and McCutchen look better than the days of Neil Walker, Bryan Bullington and John Van Benschoten.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Sure but Alvarez, Cole, Tallion and McCutchen look better than the days of Neil Walker, Bryan Bullington and John Van Benschoten.
    That is because the more recent group was actually the best players available (or really close to it) when they were drafted, as opposed to the older group who were more signability picks.

That is because the more recent group was actually the best players available (or really close to it) when they were drafted, as opposed to the older group who were more signability picks.
    Kind of my original point, good for them to be in the spot where they have been over the past few years. Baseball is better when there aren't complete doormats. I like to see the downtrodden running their franchises the right way. As a fan it is nice to see TB, KC and Pitt on the way up.

Along with Cincy, that is.

Lots of rumors that the M's will take Lindor over Rendon at 2. That would disgust me if I was an M's fan, but it should keep things interesting!
    Go BLUE!!!

Lots of rumors that the M's will take Lindor over Rendon at 2. That would disgust me if I was an M's fan, but it should keep things interesting!
    I'm all for position players going off the board earlier than anticipated in that it could push more pitching down.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I'm all for position players going off the board earlier than anticipated in that it could push more pitching down.
    Generally agree, although in this particular scenario both players were unanimously expected to go before the Reds pick, so it doesn't really matter.
    Go BLUE!!!

I would be concerned if I didn't like what we have so much. Wasn't it just last year we were "the next Rays"?
    Doug, do you like our top 1-5 of Chapman, Hamilton, Mesoraco, Alonso, and Yorman, better than when Cueto, Homer, Bruce, Votto, and Stubbs were our top five?

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    Doug, do you like our top 1-5 of Chapman, Hamilton, Mesoraco, Alonso, and Yorman, better than when Cueto, Homer, Bruce, Votto, and Stubbs were our top five?
    My name is not Doug, but I don't (and this may be the wrong thread for that discussion.)

Back on topic, BA is reporting there is a 23 year old Cuban defector LHP that throws 95 and has come out of nowhere and now may get selected as high as #9 overall. Seems to be a guy that comes from nowhere every year, such as Hayden Simpson last year. Could be an interesting candidate for the Reds at 27 given the Chapman connection...

Also sounds like Cole-Rendon-Bauer is starting to get locked in as the top 3...
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    No. That group of Cueto/Bailey/Bruce/Votto was incredibly special. Plus, when those guys were all at their top they were all in AA/AAA except Bruce. Tons of questions still surrounding Hamilton/Yorman/Chapman. And Chapman is no longer considered a prospect.

I still consider Chapman a prospect.

Turn Off Ads?