Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i would almost have to say

i would almost have to say

that it's too late for Walt to make a deal. 5.5 games back with alot of injuries and the team playing awful, 1 or 2 moves would not be enough to salvage this season. There should have been something done in the offseason

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: i would almost have to say

At one point in the season the Reds were 14-15, then they proceeded to go on a rampage ending up 8 games above .500. Those guys that led the rampage are the same guys on the team right now. We will have another hot streak sometime and catch and pass the Cardinals. They have been a streaky bunch all season.

This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out. I just don't see the Cards keeping this pace up. Lohse won't pitch this way all year. Their defense is awful Berkman is bound to breakdown at some point. I just dont' see them putting it together for a full season.

NL Central champs

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out.
    I completely agree, the Reds will be fine and they will have another hot streak, rebound, and IMO they WILL make the playoffs in some capacity weather they win the division or get the wild card.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    This is all long ways from being over. They'll get things straightened out. I just don't see the Cards keeping this pace up. Lohse won't pitch this way all year. Their defense is awful Berkman is bound to breakdown at some point. I just dont' see them putting it together for a full season.
    That's funny. I'm sure that's what Cardinal fans and players were saying last year about the Reds........that the Reds are playing above their heads, yadda, yadda, yadda. And interesting how it's the Reds, this year, who have broken down, fallen apart, etc.

Meanwhile, Berkman is having a great season. So is Lohse. So is Holliday. And Pujols is finding his groove now. Their pitching has been better than the Reds starting pitching.

It's looking like it's the Reds that have all the problems. Cardinals management made a move (Berkman) to bolster that lineup. Reds stood pat. Look which team is in first place.

Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    That's funny. I'm sure that's what Cardinal fans and players were saying last year about the Reds........that the Reds are playing above their heads, yadda, yadda, yadda. And interesting how it's the Reds, this year, who have broken down, fallen apart, etc.

Meanwhile, Berkman is having a great season. So is Lohse. So is Holliday. And Pujols is finding his groove now. Their pitching has been better than the Reds starting pitching.

It's looking like it's the Reds that have all the problems. Cardinals management made a move (Berkman) to bolster that lineup. Reds stood pat. Look which team is in first place.

Hmmmm.
    Yep, what you said...

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Hmmmm.
    couldn't have been said any better

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Still makes me mad that Holliday is over there to begin with. He's kind of symbolic of the difference in approach between the two organizations.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

That being said, I don't believe for a second that 5 1/2 games is "too late" for anything. That can swing to 2 1/2 in an heartbeat. I'm discouraged about this team, but not to the point where I think about writing off the season. I just hope the front office shares the same optimism.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    That being said, I don't believe for a second that 5 1/2 games is "too late" for anything. That can swing to 2 1/2 in an heartbeat. I'm discouraged about this team, but not to the point where I think about writing off the season. I just hope the front office shares the same optimism.
    Don't kid yourself, they don't. The offseason was evident of that. Lets be honest, what does it take to win in the 21st Century? The answer is big time players that make big time cash, something the Reds ARE TOO DAMN CHEAP to bring into Cincinnati, other teams do it, why can't we? I'll never buy from those rich bastards that "we can't afford it."

well maybe if the reds drew 3 million people like the cards do the reds would spend more money let us be honest the st louis fans are better then the reds are as far as putting butts in the stands

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Don't kid yourself, they don't. The offseason was evident of that. Lets be honest, what does it take to win in the 21st Century? The answer is big time players that make big time cash, something the Reds ARE TOO DAMN CHEAP to bring into Cincinnati, other teams do it, why can't we? I'll never buy from those rich bastards that "we can't afford it."
    We have them, they are Bruce, Votto, Phillips, Co-Co, Bronson and such. Given the size of our market we have the talent, just give them a chance in some cases to mature.

On August 28, 2010, the San Francisco Giants were 6 games behind the Padres with 32 games left. They're season turned out all right.

Way too early still to give up.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Ace pitcher or no trade PLZ

LOL at giving up. This season is not even half over. So far the Cardinals have had a lot more go right that the Reds have. Berkman has been better than expected, and Holliday is having a good season. They are getting good production from some role players. The SP has been better than expected. If all that continues they will probably win the division.

On the other hand the Reds have more young talent than the Cardinals and more upside. It is possible that eventually you have Cueto and/or Bailey as dominant starters, with Volquez getting his control together, Leake continuing to surpise everyone and Arroyo doing what he does every year. Throw in Wood as the stopgap and that could still be a great rotation. Cueto has looked great. Bailey is the big ???

To me, as a long time Reds fan, more than 30 years, there is more to a season than winning, or making the playoffs. If Bruce leads the NL in HR or RBI, that would be huge for a guy who is 23 and signed to the Reds long term.
    These are the things that also matter.

It is easy to blame Walt or Dusty if the Reds wind up being a 84-86 win team and miss the playoffs. But to me it would be stupid. They have doe a great job of putting together a team with a lot of young talent and that is competitive. If some of the starting pitching winds up being crap that is the way it goes. That is why they play the games. Every team does their best to put together a winning team, but it is the players who win and lose games. Any team would have stuck with Volquez and given him a chance. He was 2nd in the Cy Young two years ago. Hindsight is 20/20 and everyone can be an armchair quarterback. I hope Volquez comes back and has a great 2nd half to shut up all the critics.

Turn Off Ads?