Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Phillips

Brandon Phillips

BP is going to be a free agent after this season and he turns 30 this month. Should the Reds sign him to another contract and if so what do you feel is fair value in terms of years and dollars to offer him in another contract?

I think 3yrs 24million is fair. What say you?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Phillips

yes id keep it.

That would probably be fair. Brandon will never take it though. He's making 11 or 12 mil this year. Isn't there an option already for 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    That would probably be fair. Brandon will never take it though. He's making 11 or 12 mil this year. Isn't there an option already for 2012?
    His last contract was 4 years for 27 million, and you are right he made 11 million this year. Also you are correct that there is a team option for 12 million for next year. My guess is they let him test the free agent waters before taking on the 12 million. I'd let him test FA and then offer him a front loaded contract.

2012 10 million
    2013 8
    2014 6

With a team option in 2015 for 4 million. I have no idea if he'd take this deal or not, but I think it's fair based on his age and that he's on the downside of his playing career.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 06-06-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Most don't know this, but I really like the Phillips kid myself. I've always thought he'd make a great right fielder or left handed relief pitcher.

Always using this giant, genius-sized head here. ABC, Always be closing!

First place gets a new Cadillac.

Second place gets a set of steak knives.

Third place hasn't won a world series since like 1808 and something about a goat! Knowwudimean! (and they better not have mistreated that goat either)

Posted via iphone from the wine aisle at Dierbergs.

He can not test the FA market, the option has to be picked up before the FA period starts

Only way he can test the FA market is if the Reds decline the option

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    He can not test the FA market, the option has to be picked up before the FA period starts

Only way he can test the FA market is if the Reds decline the option
    I'm pretty sure they will.

I think a more likely scenario is the club actually picking up the option and offering 3 year contract of 10.5/10/8.5. Thinking that the best 2B in the NL is going to take a contract that only offers him 6 million at age 32 is wishful thinking. Free agency isn't cheap, and even factoring in a discount, the above contract is pretty unreasonably club-friendly.

They will do what they did with Arroyo...extend him for 3 years back loaded so next year's salary will only be around 9 or 10 mil

I think Phillips is the kind of player that will do what he can to stay with the club. I truly think he loves playing on this team and would never want to go anywhere. I guess I don't know the guy, but he just seems to me, through watching interviews and reading about him, like he is a loyal player and wants what is best for his team.

Quote Originally Posted by SABID View Post
    Most don't know this, but I really like the Phillips kid myself. I've always thought he'd make a great right fielder or left handed relief pitcher.

Always using this giant, genius-sized head here. ABC, Always be closing!

First place gets a new Cadillac.

Second place gets a set of steak knives.

Third place hasn't won a world series since like 1808 and something about a goat! Knowwudimean! (and they better not have mistreated that goat either)

Good lord I hate fake parody posters like this (because your not funny), saw him on his whatever thread and hoped he had gone away already.

Posted via iphone from the wine aisle at Dierbergs.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 06-06-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I'm pretty sure they will.
    it will be picked up

Why would Phillips take ANY three year contract?

This is his contract where he cashes in big time. It's his one big career contract....

As much as I hate the guy he's a great player and will be one of the biggest free agents next off season unless the Reds give him a nice five or six year deal

He's one of the best, if not the best, second basemen in baseball. He's going to command some dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    Why would Phillips take ANY three year contract?

This is his contract where he cashes in big time. It's his one big career contract....

As much as I hate the guy he's a great player and will be one of the biggest free agents next off season unless the Reds give him a nice five or six year deal

He's one of the best, if not the best, second basemen in baseball. He's going to command some dollars.
    Don't worry.. He'll be a Cardinal in a few years, so, you won't have to put up with his antics for too much longer...

I agree, there is NO way he signs for as little as is suggested in this thread. He probably has about 3-4 solid years left in him before he starts his decline. Why would he sign for less than he's making now?!
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

BAKER12

statistically proven (Bill James did a study and others can verify it) that 29-34 are the prime years for production for a ballplayer. He likes Cincy, he is the best defensive 2B in the game and that is a hard spot to fill. I say sign him sooner than later. I will get bashed for saying this, but he (if he stays at his current level of excellence) will be the best Reds 2B of my lifetime (including Morgan) and yes, even better than the great Jeff Treadway.

Turn Off Ads?