Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brandon Phillips

Re: Brandon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BAKER12 View Post
    statistically proven (Bill James did a study and others can verify it) that 29-34 are the prime years for production for a ballplayer. He likes Cincy, he is the best defensive 2B in the game and that is a hard spot to fill. I say sign him sooner than later. I will get bashed for saying this, but he (if he stays at his current level of excellence) will be the best Reds 2B of my lifetime (including Morgan) and yes, even better than the great Jeff Treadway.
    Joe Morgan won back to back MVP awards for 2 World Series winning teams.

Try again

2. Turn Off Ads?

And could have won the MVP every year from 72-76, as he was the best player in the league every one of those years.

BAKER12

Quote Originally Posted by 5TimeWSChamps View Post

Try again
    Phillips is a better defensive 2B than Joe was, Morgan played on better teams.

BAKER12

Keep Phillips or the Reds will regret it

Phillips is a better defensive 2B than Joe was, Morgan played on better teams.
    True, and true. Morgan was still far greater (and won 5 straight gold gloves).

Brandon Phillips is an overall, league average bat. Joe Morgan led the league in OPS and OPS+ twice, and was among the league leaders 6 times.

Brandon Phillips has 7.3 career WAR. Joe Morgan has 12 WAR... in 1975 alone.

Joe Morgan was a 1st ballot HOF'er, Brandon will probably not even make it to 5% on his first ballot and will be done.

Earlier this year MLBTR posted that Brandon was interested in staying with the Reds and that he would be willing to take a contract similar to the Dan Uggla contract. That sounds fair to me
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

BP will stay in Cincinnati, I have to believe. With Cordero's contract expiring we will have that extra (is it $12 million) to play with and Hernandez will probably be gone too. Why wouldn't you want to do whatever you could to resign him?

Turn Off Ads?