Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74

    Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    I agree with everything Fay wrote in this article. What do you all think?

    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...or-a-shake-up/

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hamersville
    Posts
    588

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    100% Right on

    What have you go to lose, I agree I would be getting Yonder some LF time for the next week, he was on it except you have to say bye to Gomes, thanks for the memories!!
    Lewis hitting .238 - c ya
    Hemida .111 - cya, time for the young guns to take over this team.

    Our pitching is 13th in the NL while St. Louis is 1st and the Brewers are 6th??

    Biggest holes are the left side, need a Shortstop that can hit and field (keep Janish for back-up day off purposes)

    Scotty Rolen, thanks for the memories, time to go? but then again who for?
    Gomes - BYE,

    Phillips leading off Stubbs back to 6th-7th




    Love Hernandez, but when Johnny Bench says Mesarasco is a stud and is ready, then he is ready, Hernandez with a Pitcher should = ss or lf?

    tired of ranting!
    Bowled 9 300 games, semi-retired!

    Nothing like bowling a 300 game

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer View Post
    100% Right on

    What have you go to lose, I agree I would be getting Yonder some LF time for the next week, he was on it except you have to say bye to Gomes, thanks for the memories!!
    Lewis hitting .238 - c ya
    Hemida .111 - cya, time for the young guns to take over this team.

    Our pitching is 13th in the NL while St. Louis is 1st and the Brewers are 6th??

    Biggest holes are the left side, need a Shortstop that can hit and field (keep Janish for back-up day off purposes)

    Scotty Rolen, thanks for the memories, time to go? but then again who for?
    Gomes - BYE,

    Phillips leading off Stubbs back to 6th-7th




    Love Hernandez, but when Johnny Bench says Mesarasco is a stud and is ready, then he is ready, Hernandez with a Pitcher should = ss or lf?

    tired of ranting!
    I'd be more inclined to move Hernandez for a pitcher if Cozart shows that he can hit at the ML level. I agree with all your points though.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Yes all interesting ideas and 0% chance of happening because Dusty is manager and Walt is GM. Both feel the team can win with what they have...

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Yes all interesting ideas and 0% chance of happening because Dusty is manager and Walt is GM. Both feel the team can win with what they have...
    I think that the farther down in the rankings we slide, the more open to moves Dusty and Walt will be. People constantly argue that we shouldn't sell our farm system, but what is the point in having a farm system if we don't use the talent that is there?

    Cozart HAS to be called up ASAP. Janish and Renteria are awful. I would also get Alonso or Frazier up here to be the everyday LF--and I am partial to Alonso at this point. I would also love to see a move involving one of our catchers so that Mes could get the call. IF we made all of these moves, we risk going with the inexperience factor, but it is better than the aging vets out there now. I'd rather lose while getting guys experience, than lose with old men on the field.

    I'd love to see a lineup of...

    4-Phillips
    6-Cozart
    3-Votto
    9-Bruce
    2-Mesoraco
    7-Alonso
    8-Stubbs
    5-Rolen

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. red View Post
    I think that the farther down in the rankings we slide, the more open to moves Dusty and Walt will be. People constantly argue that we shouldn't sell our farm system, but what is the point in having a farm system if we don't use the talent that is there?

    Cozart HAS to be called up ASAP. Janish and Renteria are awful. I would also get Alonso or Frazier up here to be the everyday LF--and I am partial to Alonso at this point. I would also love to see a move involving one of our catchers so that Mes could get the call. IF we made all of these moves, we risk going with the inexperience factor, but it is better than the aging vets out there now. I'd rather lose while getting guys experience, than lose with old men on the field.

    I'd love to see a lineup of...

    4-Phillips
    6-Cozart
    3-Votto
    9-Bruce
    2-Mesoraco
    7-Alonso
    8-Stubbs
    5-Rolen
    I would hope you are right, but Dusty is stubborn, how else do you explain Gomes, Edgar and such? Unless Walt forces his hand I just don't see the AAA guys getting a shot. I mean I would also move Rolen to "bench/role" and give Frazier the starts at 3rd.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I would hope you are right, but Dusty is stubborn, how else do you explain Gomes, Edgar and such? Unless Walt forces his hand I just don't see the AAA guys getting a shot. I mean I would also move Rolen to "bench/role" and give Frazier the starts at 3rd.
    I wouldn't mind Frazier at 3rd, but I would be hesitant about removing Rolen's glove. I think that if Scott Rolen is the 8 hitter, then our offense wouldn't be too bad.

    Oh and I would also bring up Willis when he gets healthy.
    Last edited by mr. red; 06-06-2011 at 03:07 PM.

  9. #8
    Mr. Underhill signalhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Manchester, KY
    Posts
    441

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. red View Post
    I'd love to see a lineup of...

    4-Phillips
    6-Cozart
    3-Votto
    9-Bruce
    2-Mesoraco
    7-Alonso
    8-Stubbs
    5-Rolen
    I very much doubt that Cozart will be proficient enough at the plate to warrant hitting second.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    349

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Trade for Harang and only let him pitch away (and big ballparks)

    Seriously though, what will it take to get some arms like Guthrie, Billingsly, Danks or a Marrow?

    I doubt it would take much. We need arms badly and can trade some prospects for them. No need to use many real major league ready or current guys on the big league roster, unless it includes Gomes, Renteria, Janish etc.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nothern Kentucky
    Posts
    283

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    I saw Cozart play a little earlier this year in Louisville...it sounds like he's improved quite a bit, which he would have to. What I saw was Janish-style hitting, without the amazing defense to balance the act. If he's really improved that much, I say we give him a try.

    I agree with some of the comments on the article, though. Our offense isn't the problem right now. It's abysmal SP. Trade Hernandez and see what else the market wants for a SP, and bring up Mezzy.

  12. #11
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,733

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    I would rather trade Alonso + someone for pitching than bring him up. If he falls on his face again at the ML level his stock drops off a cliff

    This teams does not need more bats it needs more arms

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    74

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I would rather trade Alonso + someone for pitching than bring him up. If he falls on his face again at the ML level his stock drops off a cliff

    This teams does not need more bats it needs more arms
    If they can't get more arms, they are going to need more bats to outhit the opponent.

  14. #13
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    I think it was a good article.

    And I also think that we will see those guys come July because I see the Reds about 10 games out by then.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    553

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    Here is my thought on the article. This quote pretty much covers everything you need to know.

    "This team has generally been as good or as bad as its starting pithing. There’s not a lot they can do there..."

    I think Fay could have put a period on the end of this sentence and just ended the article. Unless this team starts getting at a minimum, league average pitching, they are going nowhere regardless of who they get in the everyday lineup.

    As far as bringing guys up here is my take:

    Cozart: He is the only guy I would think of bringing up. I don't think he is great, but he would not hurt you defensively and with Paul Janish currently OPSing well below the basement standard set by 2009 Willy Taveras, it is nearly impossible for him to do worse.

    Mesoraco: No. For 3 reasons. 1.) We are currently getting very good production from our catching tandem. 2.) With our pitchers currently struggling the last thing I want is them trying to work out comfort levels with a new catcher. 3.) It goes without saying that AAA numbers to not always translate to the majors. I think he is a big part of the Reds future and I do not want him brought up with the pressure of being the savior and then not getting the job done. Now if we get down to August and we are out of the race I think it would be a great scenario to move Hernandez for some prospects and bringing up Mesoraco to get acclimated to the majors in the last 2 months.

    Alonso: It is very unlikely he puts up his AAA offense and very likely he puts up his AAA defense. From everything I have read he is still figuring it out in the outfield and will not help much.
    Last edited by krm1580; 06-06-2011 at 05:03 PM.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Great Article from Fay--100% right on

    I would be interested to see what a straight true platoon of Lewis/Heisey would do, bring up Frazier and start him 4 out of 7 starts at 3rd, playing Rolen the other 3. Bring up Cozart and pair him with Janish at SS and release Edgar.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25