Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Even John Fay Understands

Even John Fay Understands

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...or-a-shake-up/

Absolutely no reason why Alonso and Cozart aren't playing everyday at this point. Mesoraco should join them in due time. That way you can use the month of June to see if they can hold LF and SS down properly, or you have to make a significant move to acquire a major asset (Reyes, Beltran, etc.)
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Time is the Revelator.

Re: Even John Fay Understands

It's so obviously a good idea that the Reds just won't do it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Who do you send down if they were to bring up Alonso & Cozart? I'd guess a DL stint for Renteria, but when that's up...who's your sacrificial lamb?

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Who do you send down if they were to bring up Alonso & Cozart? I'd guess a DL stint for Renteria, but when that's up...who's your sacrificial lamb?
    What is the point of keeping him around? Trade or DFA him. He's been horrible on the field and with the bat. He's old. He's done.

DFA Edgar and Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Do what was rumored to be done last week when Herrera was waived:

Bring up Cozart, DL Renteria
    Bring up Alonso, DFA Gomes
    Assuming he has a decent start tonight, bring up Willis, DFA Reinke

When Renteria's DL stint is up, you can DFA him (if Cozart plays very well,) send Cozart down, or make a trade for a SS (like Reyes, Furcal, or Hardy.)

If Rolen's issues flare up, I would DL him and bring up Frazier. If we're ever going to start taking advantage of our AAA assets, now is the time. As Fay so astutely noted, "Now is the time for a shakeup."
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Do what was rumored to be done last week when Herrera was waived:

Bring up Cozart, DL Renteria
    Bring up Alonso, DFA Gomes
    Assuming he has a decent start tonight, bring up Willis, DFA Reinke

When Renteria's DL stint is up, you can DFA him (if Cozart plays very well,) send Cozart down, or make a trade for a SS (like Reyes, Furcal, or Hardy.)

If Rolen's issues flare up, I would DL him and bring up Frazier. If we're ever going to start taking advantage of our AAA assets, now is the time. As Fay so astutely noted, "Now is the time for a shakeup."
    I can see Cozart and Willis, but they might not want to bring Alonso up, see him flop, and then have his value sink before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    What is the point of keeping him around? Trade or DFA him. He's been horrible on the field and with the bat. He's old. He's done.

DFA Edgar and Gomes.
    But he's the World Series MVP....

I'm sorry, but I don't view Cozart as the answer. The kid hasn't had a single major league at-bat and is still inconsistent in the minors (and far from a sure thing). We don't even know he'd be an upgrade when he first got to the bigs. I think he has a good future as an average or above-average shortstop, but I'm not sure that time is now.

The LF situation doesn't necessitate bringing Alonso up yet IMHO. Chris Heisey is batting just a hair below .800 OPS and is providing above average defense. And since Gomes hasn't started but more than a few times in the past couple weeks, it's clear the Reds have decided he's not the answer there now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

-The Insider-

I'd rather have Frazier up than Alonso right now. For some reason I don't want to have three middle of the order power bats in Votto, Bruce, and Alonso. However, at this point I wouldn't be mad if they brought up Yonder instead.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I'd rather have Frazier up than Alonso right now. For some reason I don't want to have three middle of the order power bats in Votto, Bruce, and Alonso. However, at this point I wouldn't be mad if they brought up Yonder instead.
    I don't understand that logic.

Great ideas.

Here's another one. You won a 2-1 game on Friday, then lost Saturday and Sunday despite scoring 14 runs. And the focus of the article is adding bats?

Yep......more offense would have gotten them over the hump.

It's 2011, not 2004.

Pitching and defense were sexy last year....now we're back to building the 1927 Yankees lineup as the only way to success. I went through 10 years of that black hole, no thanks.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Great ideas.

Here's another one. You won a 2-1 game on Friday, then lost Saturday and Sunday despite scoring 14 runs. And the focus of the article is adding bats?

It's 2011, not 2004.

Pitching and defense were sexy last year....now we're back to building the 1927 Yankees lineup as the only way to success. I went through 10 years of that black hole, no thanks.
    Yep. This team will improve marginally if some new bats are introduced in the lineup...but its all moot until the starting pitching shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't view Cozart as the answer. The kid hasn't had a single major league at-bat and is still inconsistent in the minors (and far from a sure thing). We don't even know he'd be an upgrade when he first got to the bigs. I think he has a good future as an average or above-average shortstop, but I'm not sure that time is now.

The LF situation doesn't necessitate bringing Alonso up yet IMHO. Chris Heisey is batting just a hair below .800 OPS and is providing above average defense. And since Gomes hasn't started but more than a few times in the past couple weeks, it's clear the Reds have decided he's not the answer there now.

The reason why I think both Cozart and Alonso need to be up and playing right now is so the Reds can see what if any major league pieces they need to add via trades this season. Most major trades happen in July, when teams have decided definitively to waive the white flag. Unfortunately, it remains dubious as to whether there will be any frontline starters available via trade this year. Therefore, the most likely pieces the Reds could add to booster their current team are in LF or SS. Before dealing away a significant piece of the farm, I'd rather see if the Reds can plug those holes organically. It has become clear that neither Janish nor Heisey (despite his near .800 OPS) will likely be the long-term, starting answers to those positions. Therefore, see if the most likely next-in-line can handle the duties or not, and proceed from there.

I believe the Reds have correctly determined that Heisey's best use is as a 4th OF. Janish's best use is as a defensive replacement. Let's see if we can figure out where Alonso and Cozart figure into the occasion, and if they're not the answer, then we have to make a significant trade.
    Go BLUE!!!

Great ideas.

It's 2011, not 2004.

Did you read the entire article? He talks about pitching being the problem, but nothing really to do there right now (from within).

This team has generally been as good or as bad as its starting pithing. There’s not a lot they can do there — except wait for Homer Bailey to get well and hope that Edinson Volquez’s exile to Triple-A did the trick.

Here are some things they could do:

Great ideas.

It's 2011, not 2004.

Please tell me what reportedly available pitching the Reds could acquire. In the past, arms like Greinke, Lee, Oswalt, Halladay et al have been available. This year, all of those arms, and others like them, happen to be stashed on contending teams. You could take a chance on an injured arm like Santana or Liriano, but not sure that's realistic given cash or even likely to be an improvement. The only three names I can think of that could possibly be available, somewhat realistic, and would help the Reds are Billingsley, Guthrie and Danks, and I have gone on the record advocating the Reds make an attempt to go after them.

I agree that SP is the biggest problem that ails this team. However unfortunately due to the current landscape, the Reds' best hope to solve the SP conundrum at this point is hoping and wishing that Bailey and/or Volquez return to form/health. Therefore, I'm focused on the 2nd and 3rd biggest problems, which are LF and SS.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?