Re: Monday June 6, 2011 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Look who won 6-5. It was the Mudcats.
    lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Very quietly--mostly because the Mudcats are so bad--Travis Webb has become a nice little item. With his five strikeouts tonight in two innings, he now has 32 in 20 innings since he became a reliever four weeks ago. Over his eight outings, he has given up three earned runs.

In fact, aside from Joseph's much-discussed troubles, most of the Carolina bullpen has been pretty darn good, even since losing Christiani to Louisville. Tonight the pen gave up one run (Webb) in five innings, with 9 K. Webb was followed by Joseph, Freeman and Hamulack.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

If Soto is fully healthy (and not just playing at 80 percent or something) that will really help Carolina. Also, why haven't they moved Grandal to Carolina yet? Denove was supposed to be Carolina's catcher, but he's been hurt all year and hasn't played. Grandal has proven IMO he's ready for AA. Plus, the Reds have another serviceable catcher at Bakersfield with Fleury.

Speaking of catchers, anyone notice the year Tucker Barnhart is having at Dayton? He's a little dude for a catcher (5-8, 170) but I like his offensive numbers. How is he defensively for those that have watched him? Reds drafted him out of high school in 2009 in the 10th round. Man is the Reds system stockpiled with catching prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    If Soto is fully healthy (and not just playing at 80 percent or something) that will really help Carolina. Also, why haven't they moved Grandal to Carolina yet? Denove was supposed to be Carolina's catcher, but he's been hurt all year and hasn't played. Grandal has proven IMO he's ready for AA. Plus, the Reds have another serviceable catcher at Bakersfield with Fleury.

Speaking of catchers, anyone notice the year Tucker Barnhart is having at Dayton? He's a little dude for a catcher (5-8, 170) but I like his offensive numbers. How is he defensively for those that have watched him? Reds drafted him out of high school in 2009 in the 10th round. Man is the Reds system stockpiled with catching prospects.

Very polished for his age and level. 1 E in 40 games. I keep hearing a comparison to Hanigan. There will be a ML viable catcher at every level once Grandal is moved to AA. Amazing statement.
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

I've never seen so much hitting by so many people at a REDS' AAA club, especially the way they've been hitting their last 10 games, individually, with the exception of Valaika, of course, who seems to have his eyes closed when he's up to bat.

-The Insider-

Hopefully the Reds' injuries will subside and the Mudcats' own injuries will do the same and the Mudcats can make a second half run. I've seen flashes of what they can do. If Serrano, Fairel and Hotchkiss can return healthy in the next few months, that could be a big boost. If everyone can settle in at one time I think they very well could be a lot better than what they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Hopefully the Reds' injuries will subside and the Mudcats' own injuries will do the same and the Mudcats can make a second half run. I've seen flashes of what they can do. If Serrano, Fairel and Hotchkiss can return healthy in the next few months, that could be a big boost. If everyone can settle in at one time I think they very well could be a lot better than what they are now.
    Agree. Injuries have wreaked havoc on them. They've already used 24 pitchers with half of them having pitched at least in two different Minor League levels, not counting those who've also pitched at the Major League level. A little stability could work wonders.

Nice. I knew after the ride back I would never make it through the game. Glad to see the guys won. Who knows, they may win a series.

So Willis went 4 2/3 with 7 strikeouts, 3 walks and 3 hits.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    After going 3-for-4 in game one, Cozart led off game two with his 6th HR of the season. He's now hitting .306 with an .835 OPS. Seriously, why not give him a shot in Cincinnati?
    “Hitting ain’t been our problem,” Baker said. “We’re second in the league or third in almost every offensive category. Do we go from five runs a game to seven or eight? In many cases, it hasn’t been enough.

“As you’ve seen, there’s bigger gap now between Triple-A and the big league than there used to be."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...news|text|Reds

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    For those unaware, Sappelt is in AZ getting back into baseball shape.
    Thanks for the update. He is one of my favorites and have been waiting to hear the news. I think he has the opportunity to be a legitimate big time leadoff hitter. I know he spent only a little time in Buffalo, but my wife is from there so I follow him pretty closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I've never seen so much hitting by so many people at a REDS' AAA club, especially the way they've been hitting their last 10 games, individually, with the exception of Valaika, of course, who seems to have his eyes closed when he's up to bat.
    Went to the game last night to see the doubleheader in Columbus. That lineup is so stacked and keep in mind they are missing Dave Sappelt. You had to get to the seventh hitter before you ran into an OPS under .800. When they can go Sappelt, Cozart, Alonso, Frazier, Francisco, Hermida, Mesoraco, Dorn, Valakia that is a pretty sick lineup. Any news on Yonder, he ran into the wall and had to be helped up but he stayed in the game. I could tell he would not come back out. While he was in the outfield he kept rubbing his neck and touching his head.

Turn Off Ads?