Turn Off Ads?

Thread: muddie's Chattanooga Roadie

muddie's Chattanooga Roadie

My wife and I just got in from a roadie to Chattanooga. We saw the Saturday and Sunday games. Without repeating what the boxscore already states, I'll go on a few highlights from memory. This could be risky.

On Saturday night we saw one hell'uva third baseman. Saying that, this was one game only but I have never been so impressed with a guy's effort in one game. Eric Campbell went to the ground and made an across the body stab at a sinking line drive down the line, got up and righted himself, and threw the guy out at first. Latter part of the game, same thing, opposite side of the body. In addition to those plays, he charged a bunt and fielded it on the full run and threw across his body to nail the runner. And yes, one more time he nailed a guy trying to bunt for a hit. As good as he was with the bat Saturday night, he was better with the glove. Shame this kind of stuff doesn't show up in the box.

Kahaulileo and Perez were bad but the fans in Chattanooga let them know it so I'll leave it at that.

Villarreal was not as good as his first start but he battled. It is obvious that the Mudcats pen is a have and have nots situation for Bell. On Saturday night Bell played his haves. Webb, Joseph, and Boxberger were all you could ask for after Villarreal. Boxberger started slow in the ninth by allowing a guy to get into scoring position with none out due to a BB. Boxberger was saved from his sins when Castro made and awesome throw to Campbell as the runner on second base tried to advance to third on a ball hit to the SS with nobody out. That made Boxberger's situation a lot better and he closed it.

Sunday was pretty much over before it started even though the Mudcats had an early 2-0 lead. Lee Tabor, the 'back to the rotation' reclamation project, struggled out of the gate. He was sharp last time out but not yesterday. He was free with the passes and it was all down hill from there. When he left Shunick threw BP for a couple of innings. I have to tip the hat to James Skelton who hit two ropes to right field, one off the wall.

Costanzo started at third and Campbell at SS. Soto is a regular at first so I think this situation will be initeresting to watch going forward. In spite of the game being bad early, we stayed to the end and enjoyed the weekend there.

If any of you guys are ever in Chattanooga, please do yourself a favor and go by the Big River Brewery and Grill located a few blocks from the park. On my recommendation, try the Vienna Lager...excellent. Great food and good brew. Great place to get out of the heat and I mean, it was brutal both days!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: muddie's Chattanooga Roadie

Nice report, mud. I don't believe I had read anything on Campbell's defense at 3B, but you painted a compelling picture. Whether or not he is able to sustain it at the higher levels, his acquisition seems to have brought some value to the organization. He just moved up a notch or two on my prospect list. (Well, he would have if I actually had a prospect list).

Turn Off Ads?