Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Don't The Reds Try and Get Jose Reyes??

Why Don't The Reds Try and Get Jose Reyes??

Okay, right now the New York Mets are 7 1/2 games back in the same division as one of the best teams in baseball so its obvious that they dont really have a chance in their division. The Reds are 5 games back in a division that obviously could be won with a little help. Our pitching needs a little help but I would love to see a dominant offense. Jose Reyes is a fantastic leadoff hitter and while he does have some injury problems he would really provide a spark at the leadoff spot.
    I like Drew Stubbs but I really feel like if the Reds moved him down in the line-up he could really become great.
    He is, as of June 6, hitting
    .263/.333/.413, 8 HR's, 25 RBI's, 11 2B's, 1 3B, 17 SB's, 25 BB's, and 78 K's.
    Jose Reyes as a leadoff is, as of June 6, hitting
    .337/.386/.506, 1 HR, 21 RBI's, 18 2B's, 10 3B's, 19 SB's, 20 BB's, and 21 K's.
    So looking at stats obviously Reyes is more of a prototypical leadoff hitter, just imagine having Reyes leading off with Phillips, Votto, and Bruce having the chance to drive him in. Stubbs obviously has more power so having him lower in the line-up could provide a lot of pop.
    Now here comes the hard part, how can the Reds get a trade for this guy?
    There are many things to look at when approaching this trade, obviously the prospects we would have to give up, Reyes and an extension, and maybe even taking Beltran off their hands? Whatever happens this is definantly something to think about.

A possible trade I thought of:

Mets acquire: Yonder Alonso, Jonny Gomes/Fred Lewis, Paul Janish, Mike Leake/Travis Wood

Reds acquire: Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, PTBN

Imagine this line-up:
    SS: Jose Reyes
    2B:Brandon Phillips
    1B: Joey Votto
    RF: Jay Bruce
    3B: Scott Rolen
    CF: Drew Stubbs
    LF: Carlos Beltran
    C: Ramon Hernandez/Ryan Hanigan
    Pitchers Spot
    twitter- @willrich_116

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why Don't The Reds Try and Get Jose Reyes??

why would the mets want fred lewis or johnny gomes?

why is beltran batting 7th, rolen batting 5th and stubbs batting 6th?

The only possible way I see Reyes as a Red this summer is if the club truly believes that Cozart and/or Frazier will be ready to assume the SS role in 2012. Reyes will not sign a long term deal in Cincinnati.....too much money to be had elsewhere.

Therefore, IMO, you give up too much too get what amounts to be a 2-3 month rental at SS.
    Last edited by Who Dey Time; 06-06-2011 at 11:29 PM.

It would take Alonso, Frazier, Wood/Leake, Janish and probably Heisey at minimum to get that done... I could see NY asking for a catcher as well...and not Hernandez or Hanigan.

Although I would love it if the Reds could swing a deal for Reyes and Beltran...but an expiring Reyes is not an attractive asset to the Reds management.

The Reds know they won't be able to afford him so they don't want to trade their best prospects for a rental. But I would take the chance and see if he is willing to take less to stay in Cincinnati. Which he probably won't because he thinks he will het Crawford money.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    why would the mets want fred lewis or johnny gomes?

why is beltran batting 7th, rolen batting 5th and stubbs batting 6th?
    Well they would still want to be competitive and Jonny Gomes is an inexpensive conract that can help a ball club. And I just threw together something I was having trouble with that part of the order
    twitter- @willrich_116

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanwill View Post
    Well they would still want to be competitive and Jonny Gomes is an inexpensive conract that can Hurt a ball club. And I just threw together something I was having trouble with that part of the order
    fyp

I like Reyes
    Last edited by Austin_Rich19; 06-07-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    fyp
    Ahh so you're quote me then change it?? BTW Jonny Gomes I'm pretty sure he lead us to a victory tonight...yepp hes KILLING us
    twitter- @willrich_116

BAKER12

Mets have Tejada, Janish would not play for them
    Why would the Mets want Fred Lewis?
    We would have to trade 2 of our young starters to get it done
    I am not opposed to it, winning now is what is fun

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanwill View Post
    A possible trade I thought of:

Mets acquire: Yonder Alonso, Jonny Gomes/Fred Lewis, Paul Janish, Mike Leake/Travis Wood

Reds acquire: Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran, PTBN

Pitchers Spot
    Last time I checked the Mets GM isn't an idiot. Why in god's green earth would he do that deal? Also why in Gods' green earth would we part with two good young pitchers for 2 couple of month's rentals? No chance I would deal leake/Wood and no chance the Mets would take Gomes and Lewis.

$$$

If the Mets franchise is folding they might make this deal.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Last time I checked the Mets GM isn't an idiot. Why in god's green earth would he do that deal? Also why in Gods' green earth would we part with two good young pitchers for 2 couple of month's rentals? No chance I would deal leake/Wood and no chance the Mets would take Gomes and Lewis.
    I think "Leake/Wood" means Leake OR Wood, not Leake AND Wood.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    I think "Leake/Wood" means Leake OR Wood, not Leake AND Wood.
    And I don't give up both or either, you don't give away good young pitching for a rental...

Turn Off Ads?