Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Robert Stephenson

Re: Robert Stephenson

Interesting that both the Braves and now Giants have come out and said they would've taken Stephenson in the two picks immediately after the Reds.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interesting that both the Braves and now Giants have come out and said they would've taken Stephenson in the two picks immediately after the Reds.
    Teams that have a good track record for drafting quality pitching. Sounds like we need to get this guy signed.

Fun Video featuring Robert.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/baseb...lip?id=6593296

If he's at Dayton this year I'll be at his first start and I'll give you all a full report.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That's a good indication when two teams who know starting pitching say that. Good stuff.

Hal thinks Robert is going to be in Dayton this year
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

IT APPEARS THAT the Reds No. 1 draft pick last June, right-handed pitcher Robert Stephenson, will skip rookie ball and play at Class A Dayton this year.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Hal thinks Robert is going to be in Dayton this year
    http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot
    Nice, exactly what I was hoping for.

I'm not sure I like that move personally. He's got a ways to go.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I'm not sure I like that move personally. He's got a ways to go.
    I have been of the "feeling" that he would start in Dayton, but it wouldn't be in April, but more likely mid May. I haven't heard a lot, but what I have heard isn't leading me to believe he will be in Dayton when their season begins.

He pitched 64 innings in HS last year. He just turned 19. How many innings should he be permitted to pitch this year? Holding him back in extended ST until late May makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    He pitched 64 innings in HS last year. He just turned 19. How many innings should he be permitted to pitch this year? Holding him back in extended ST until late May makes sense to me.
    I would imagine that they try to keep him in the 100-125 range. That seems to be where they have kept guys at with the same type of background. When he actually starts pitching would obviously put that number in a fluctuating state.

Would they count time spent throwing in instructional league? I was thinking, if they held him back in instructional league until the weather warmed up, he could debut in Dayton in early may and pick up abput 100-120 innings if everything went well. Is that reasonable for starting that late in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Would they count time spent throwing in instructional league? I was thinking, if they held him back in instructional league until the weather warmed up, he could debut in Dayton in early may and pick up abput 100-120 innings if everything went well. Is that reasonable for starting that late in the season?
    I imagine that what he throws in extended spring training would be counted towards their "goal" for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I imagine that what he throws in extended spring training would be counted towards their "goal" for him.
    Yes, it definitely would count. I'd be shocked if he wasn't held back in extended. Then like you guys are saying, a mid-May arrival to Dayton if all goes well in Ext. Spring.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/2012/03/16...son-interview/

I'm sure most on here's seen this, but, I wonder if the comment he made a little over two minutes into the interview sheds some light on why he turned out to be a tough, last minute sign?
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

He seems like a really smart, down-to-earth guy. Will be fun to root for him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?