Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where (or who) are they?

Where (or who) are they?

As the rosters get sorted out, I thought it might be handy to have a repository for all the questions concerning various guys who are missing, unknown, etc.

In other threads, it has already been noted that Juan Duran is not on a roster. It's assumed he might be injured, but there has been no word.

What about Bill Rhinehart? As of now he's not listed on either the Pensacola or Louisville roster.

Is Andrew Means still in the organization? No sign of him.

The Bakersfield thread discusses John Holdzkom, who looks like an interesting reclamation project. Along with Wilkin de la Rosa.

Anybody know anything about Pensacola's Yordanys Perez, signed off the McAllen Thunder of the North American League, for whom he did little?

Who else?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Where (or who) are they?

Also . . .

Jaren Matthews
    Blaine Howell
    Dayne Read
    Drew Poulk
    Robert Maddox
    Mace Thurman
    Jordan Hotchkiss

We have to assume that injuries are involved in many cases. Which is why Jacob Johnson, Drew Cisco and Mitch Clarke are not on rosters yet.

You are correct mace... Mitch Clarke is hurt

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Also . . .

Jaren Matthews
    Blaine Howell
    Dayne Read
    Drew Poulk
    Robert Maddox
    Mace Thurman
    Jordan Hotchkiss

We have to assume that injuries are involved in many cases. Which is why Jacob Johnson, Drew Cisco and Mitch Clarke are not on rosters yet.
    If it's not injury, I'm guessing Jaren Matthews and Drew Poulk just didn't make Dayton's roster out of spring training. I'm also wondering about these guys (I'm surprised a few of them weren't cut by now):

Drew Bowman
    Aguido Gonzalez
    Tim Gustafson
    Wirfin Obispo
    Jordan Wideman
    Welinton Ramirez
    Dominic D'Anna
    Frank Pfister
    Adam Muenster

Quote Originally Posted by billy bob View Post
    You are correct mace... Mitch Clarke is hurt
    billy bob, anything additional on the nature and timetable of his injury? I'm looking forward to watching him progress.

camis, didn't D'Anna have winter surgery of some kind? It's easy to forget that he was an all-star last year, and actually kept Donald Lutz on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    billy bob, anything additional on the nature and timetable of his injury? I'm looking forward to watching him progress.

camis, didn't D'Anna have winter surgery of some kind? It's easy to forget that he was an all-star last year, and actually kept Donald Lutz on the bench.
    Oh, right. Wrist surgery. I figured he would've been back by now, but I guess not.

I was hoping Ismail Guillen would get (earn) a nod in Dayton, but don't see him listed anywhere. After coming out very strong 2 seasons ago, he struggled big time last year in billings, but seeminly was putting it together at season's end. haven't heard much of him since, perhaps the struggles have continued and he's heading back to extend spring training.

Filling in a few blanks: Duran is hurt. Not sure of the severity. He was set to go to Bakersfield. Means is also hurt. Maddox is coming back from surgery and is in extended. D'Anna out with wrist surgery. Howell is hurt. Some releases: Poulk, Thurman, Pfister, Braun. Retirements: Coddington (injury-related), Dayne Read.

Thanks, 72. The two biggest surprises there (to me): Mace Thurman released and Dayne Read retiring.

Thurman must have sustained an injury that he couldn't come back from. He was dynamite through 2009, but pitched very little in 2010. Last year, in Bakersfield, he was clearly off his game.

Read jumped from Billings to Bakersfield last year; from hot to cold. But there must have been some personal considerations.

It's been said that Pfister would very possibly become a coach when he hung 'em up. Wouldn't be surprised to see him remain in the organization in some capacity.

So . . . guys who will start the season hurt or not ready yet: Johnson, Cisco, Clarke, Howell, Duran, D'Anna, Maddox, Means . . . Buckley and Henry Rodriguez, maybe? I suspect there are more.

Buckley is ready to go.

-The Insider-

72, how did you hear this? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

As for Coddi, I somewhat hinted at it a week or so ago when I posted about his injury, so I'm not too surprised about that.

I'm surprised that Drew Poulk was released. Old for the leagues, but nevertheless .909 OPS last year.

There are very few players in the minor leagues that can honestly say that they never got a chance, but Poulk is one who can say that. An undrafted free agent, no money invested in him, no scout put his reputation on the line to convince anyone to draft and sign him, no one was going to put up a big fight to keep him from getting released, easy player to release even though he was one of the better players on every team he was on in the Reds organization. An example of how the business side of the game pops up even in the low minors. I would like to have seen what he could have done over a full season. Certainly, of all the guys who played right field in Dayton last season, and there were many, Poulk was the best player. Maybe not the best prospect, but the best player. Hopefully he will hook on with someone if he is not too fed up with the whole thing.
    Last edited by redsof72; 04-04-2012 at 08:52 PM.

-The Insider-

Tim Gustafson has been added to Pensacola's roster.

http://twitter.com/#!/Jamieblog
    Jamie Ramsey ‏ @Jamieblog
    RHP Drew Cisco (2011 Baseball America 12th-best prospect in Reds system) pitched 2.0 scoreless innings yesterday in Extended Spring (1h, 4k)

Turn Off Ads?