Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Stephenson

Re: Robert Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure on the comparisons to Homer's delivery. He is a lot quicker through his windup. The only comp I see is HS RH power pitcher.
    My sense is that Homer was quicker at this stage too, but I may be misremembering.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

All I want to know is whether or not his middle name is "Louis."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I'm not sure on the comparisons to Homer's delivery. He is a lot quicker through his windup. The only comp I see is HS RH power pitcher.
    The thing I noticed was the hands together low and then bringing them above his head in the windup.

I see Peavy's delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    For some reason he reminds me of a little of Homer Bailey. I think it's the way he holds his glove and the high leg kick.
    Thought the exact same thing when I saw him. If he twisted his body a little more before he came to the plate, he would look even more like Homer.

FTR, they didn't expand on the idea, but MLBN had his "MLB Player Comparison" listed as Matt Garza.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    How quickly do we expect this guy to be up?

By September of couse.

One thing he apparently has over Homer is makeup. Homer's development was probably delayed by his lack of coachability, although he also might not have been getting great coaching. Stephenson is apparently a smart kid and an incredibly hard worker. I also think the Reds' system is better equipped to coach him up than the system that Homer came into.

Apparently the Braves really coveted Stephenson and were set to take him with their pick just after our's.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-...ta_braves_blog

“The really good high school guys are gone, that we wanted,” DeMacio said. “We were on Stephenson right in front of us. We were really on him, and we thought we had him.”

He was referring to Robert Stephenson of Martinez Calif., the smooth throwing right-hander with the mid-90s fastball out of Alhambra High School. The Braves were primed to pick him in the first round, but the Reds nabbed him with the 27th pick, just before the Braves were announced as the next team on the clock.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

“The really good high school guys are gone, that we wanted,” DeMacio said. “We were on Stephenson right in front of us. We were really on him, and we thought we had him.”

He was referring to Robert Stephenson of Martinez Calif., the smooth throwing right-hander with the mid-90s fastball out of Alhambra High School. The Braves were primed to pick him in the first round, but the Reds nabbed him with the 27th pick, just before the Braves were announced as the next team on the clock.
    Payback for Heyward.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Kevin Goldstein had Stephenson picked to go 16th overall in his official mock draft. The Braves knew that he was a bargain with the lower picks, just like the Reds did.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Kevin Goldstein had Stephenson picked to go 16th overall in his official mock draft. The Braves knew that he was a bargain with the lower picks, just like the Reds did.
    It sounds like a lot of people thought he was headed to LA, due to him being a California guy and a potential easy, slot sign.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It sounds like a lot of people thought he was headed to LA, due to him being a California guy and a potential easy, slot sign.
    This was unclear to me Monday night. On the one hand he has been called very signable (for slot), but on the other Gammons spoke about the Dodgers passing on him due to signability reasons. Which is it?
    Go BLUE!!!

Oh dear Lord

Stephenson, a right-handed pitcher out of Martinez (Calif.) Alhambra High, has spent the past two years working with Thigpen at Gamespeed, a training center in Dublin, Calif. For three days a week during the offseason, Stephenson worked on building strength, balance, range of motion and durability.
    Thigpen, who also trained 2002 Reds first-round pick Chris Gruler, said Stephenson's level of focus was uncanny for a high school player. Each week during the season, the two would meet and Stephenson recalled minute details about his latest start: how many pitches he had thrown, how his torque was, what parts of his body felt tight.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_cin&c_id=cin

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Calm down. I am sure that EVERY pitching coach has worked with multiple guys who has blown elbows and shoulders. It is the nature of the beast.

Turn Off Ads?