Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Robert Stephenson

Re: Robert Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if anyone really thought he was going to AZL. High School picks from the year prior rarely stay back in AZL/GCL unless he really isn't ready.
    I don't know that I'd say it's rare, but it's certainly rare for the earlier high school draft picks to not go to Billings or Dayton following their first season in the organization.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Jamie Ramsey posted something on Twitter that Stephenson will start this season at Billings and it's a surprise because he was slated to begin with the AZL Reds.

Uh, no he wasn't. He was always "slated" for Billings. It's amazing how some of these guys can cover the team and have no idea what they're talking about. (See, it's not just Fay who is bad. Sheldon leaves a lot to be desired too.)
    You do realize that Jamie Ramsey doesn't cover the team....he's actually WITH the team.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    You do realize that Jamie Ramsey doesn't cover the team....he's actually WITH the team.
    Well, that makes it even worse that he thought Stephenson -- a first-round pick last year -- was going to start the season with the AZL Reds. It was always Billings for Stephenson.

Well, that makes it even worse that he thought Stephenson -- a first-round pick last year -- was going to start the season with the AZL Reds. It was always Billings for Stephenson.
    First, it wasn't always Billings. Unless you work for the team, you don't know. Second, Jamie's position has nothing to do with the baseball side, so his speculation of where a 19 yo kid goes to start his pro ball means very little. Though he should probably refrain from aome of his "expectations" on twitter if he is going to use that as a Reds information soirce.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Does it really matter where he starts at?

The Royals took Bubba Starling #5 overall last year. He is also starting his career in rookie ball. He was the Royals #2 prospect coming into the year and was the #24 prospect in the entire game (BA) coming into the year.

It matters about where these guys end up, not where they start.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Does it really matter where he starts at?

The Royals took Bubba Starling #5 overall last year. He is also starting his career in rookie ball. He was the Royals #2 prospect coming into the year and was the #24 prospect in the entire game (BA) coming into the year.

It matters about where these guys end up, not where they start.
    Does it matter in the grand scheme? No. Does it matter for those of us that follow it for fun and want to see Stephenson challenged a bit? Yes.

It really doesn't matter, he'll be in Dayton next year and this is what matters.

He's a young kid with lots of time on his hands, you almost hope he's going to a few classes since he's not playing much baseball. Maybe he is, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    He's a young kid with lots of time on his hands, you almost hope he's going to a few classes since he's not playing much baseball. Maybe he is, I don't know.
    He's working out and throwing every day in extended spring training. They may get some afternoons off, but it's likely a 6 day per week job. They also have games he's been pitching in all spring against CLE and other teams in the area, they just aren't advertised at all.

He's working out and throwing every day in extended spring training. They may get some afternoons off, but it's likely a 6 day per week job. They also have games he's been pitching in all spring against CLE and other teams in the area, they just aren't advertised at all.
    Have you heard anything about how he's progressing?

But that's my point. He's not going to speculate on something like that without clearly qualifying it as a guess. Him saying it means someone in the organization told him that.

The success record for 1st round pitchers that amount to anything after being assigned to a SS team the season after being drafted is low. I think I got that from Kevin Goldstein chat but dont hold me to it. I think he could only find 2 in the last 10 years. Its rare and says a lot.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    The success record for 1st round pitchers that amount to anything after being assigned to a SS team the season after being drafted is low. I think I got that from Kevin Goldstein chat but dont hold me to it. I think he could only find 2 in the last 10 years. Its rare and says a lot.
    I wonder if you need to factor in that this is the player's first actual season of playing. I wonder how many of those factored in signed so late and didn't play the year they were drafted. Perhaps the number is the same, but I do see a distinction.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Well, lets assume it was only over the last 10 years, well, you are already really limiting yourself because anyone drafted in the most recent 6 years is, at best, only 24 years old right now (I am guessing that all of these players are high schoolers since college guys are clearly more advanced). So really, you need to toss out just about anyone from 5 years or less back. So now you are talking about what, a handful of players? I wouldn't put much stock into something like that.

If Stephenson comes out this year for Billings and walks a whole bunch of guys, then I will think that maybe they held him back because his control isn't what they thought. But if he holds his own (4.50 ERA or lower in that league is easily holding his own - with solid peripherals of course), I wouldn't worry much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Well, lets assume it was only over the last 10 years, well, you are already really limiting yourself because anyone drafted in the most recent 6 years is, at best, only 24 years old right now (I am guessing that all of these players are high schoolers since college guys are clearly more advanced). So really, you need to toss out just about anyone from 5 years or less back. So now you are talking about what, a handful of players? I wouldn't put much stock into something like that.

If Stephenson comes out this year for Billings and walks a whole bunch of guys, then I will think that maybe they held him back because his control isn't what they thought. But if he holds his own (4.50 ERA or lower in that league is easily holding his own - with solid peripherals of course), I wouldn't worry much at all.
    The point he was trying to make is that you don't do that with first round draft picks. The Cubs didn't even to that with Mark Pawelek who was considered an overdraft in 2005.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Turn Off Ads?