12. B.A. Vollmuth 3B
    13. Anthony Meo RHP
    14. Williams Jerez OF
    15. Derek Fisher OF

Fun starts at Noon
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official 2011 Draft Day 2 Thread

Unless they are willing to really open up the checkbook, I think Bell and Norris might be punts. If Purke's medicals are favorable, he would be a sweet Day 2 pick.

Interestingly, arguably the draft's two best catchers (Hedges and Susac) are still on the board.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Unless they are willing to really open up the checkbook, I think Bell and Norris might be punts. If Purke's medicals are favorable, he would be a sweet Day 2 pick.
    I'd open up the checkbook for Bell. IMO he is Jason Heyward redux.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interestingly, arguably the draft's two best catchers (Hedges and Susac) are still on the board.
    I was just going to say this...I would have to think about Hedges in the 2nd if available. Sure they are stocked at the position, but if he is available and they pony up for him, catcher is one of the spots I wouldn't mind being stocked at. Especially a HS guy. Look at Mes, it is 4 years since he was drafted and he is in AAA.

Obviously depends on who else is available, but I wouldn't knock him down just b/c of Mes and Grandal.

I'd open up the checkbook for Bell. IMO he is Jason Heyward redux.
    If they are committed to him and think they can get him, then I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I don't follow the draft as closely as most on here, but how is Purke available? I saw him pitch last year in Omaha for TCU and thought he was a freshman?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    I don't follow the draft as closely as most on here, but how is Purke available? I saw him pitch last year in Omaha for TCU and thought he was a freshman?
    I think he is eligible due to his age.

Ok so haven't gotten into the prospects at all this year (at least not for several months) so who is falling who has high upside and for what reasons? I see some have mentioned Bell, what is his story and why has Purke not been taken, too early because he has the leverage with the option to stay in school? Also Esposito and Dickerson ring a bell, is Dickerson the kid out of Indiana with the big raw power and is Esposito the best 3B available, is he a quick mover?

I'll try to do a little catching up on my own but what are your guys thoughts on the above and our next pick? I don't suspect any of the guys I have mentioned will be there, what do you guys think?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

What makes Bell/Norris tough signings? Is it that they both want to finish school (or go to college, I don't know if they're college guys or HS guys) similar to a Jeremy Sowers in that unless they're blown away by money they're pretty set on that route, or are they tough signings because they're demanding top of the draft money?

It would seem that if its the later case, it may be easier to sign them for less if theyre not really all that into school. Offer them something like mid to late 1st round money and they may eventually bite at the deadline rather than going thru school.

Some names still on the board I'd like to see the Reds call today:

1. Josh Bell OF
    2. Daniel Norris LHP
    3. Matt Purke LHP
    4. Dillon Howard RHP
    5. Jorge Lopez RHP
    6. Jason Esposito 3B
    7. Alex Dickerson 1B/OF
    8. Aaron Westlake 1B
    9. Dillon Maples RHP
    10. Matt Dean 3B
    11. Nick Delmonico 3B
    12. B.A. Vollmuth 3B
    13. Anthony Meo RHP
    14. Williams Jerez OF
    15. Derek Fisher OF

Fun starts at Noon
    What about Johnny Eierman SS (won't stay at SS according to Law probably a CF) and Josh Osich LHP (who has been coming back from TJ surgery but at one point profiled as a top 10 pick)? Both guys seemingly have nice ceilings.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I wouldn't get too worked up if the Reds don't pick according to any major media list. From day 1:

Player / Picked at / Ranked by BA / Picked by

Jacob Anderson 35 157 TOR
    Jake Hager 32 122 TB
    Kevin Matthews 33 105 TEX
    Jeff Ames 42 119 TB
    Blake Snell 52 187 TB
    Dante Bichette Jr 51 108 NYY

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I wouldn't get too worked up if the Reds don't pick according to any major media list. From day 1:

Player / Picked at / Ranked by BA / Picked by

Jacob Anderson 35 157 TOR
    Jake Hager 32 122 TB
    Kevin Matthews 33 105 TEX
    Jeff Ames 42 119 TB
    Blake Snell 52 187 TB
    Dante Bichette Jr 51 108 NYY
    Take TB out of it, they went for a few easier signs due to the amount of money they will be spending.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Ok so haven't gotten into the prospects at all this year (at least not for several months) so who is falling who has high upside and for what reasons? I see some have mentioned Bell, what is his story and why has Purke not been taken, too early because he has the leverage with the option to stay in school? Also Esposito and Dickerson ring a bell, is Dickerson the kid out of Indiana with the big raw power and is Esposito the best 3B available, is he a quick mover?

I'll try to do a little catching up on my own but what are your guys thoughts on the above and our next pick? I don't suspect any of the guys I have mentioned will be there, what do you guys think?
    I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, but I will give a stab at this.

Bell- Signability. Two words: Scott Boras
    Purke- He has had some recent shoulder problems.
    Esposito- Some question his ability to hit at the next level.
    I have no idea about Dickerson.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Take TB out of it, they went for a few easier signs due to the amount of money they will be spending.
    Are you sure that applies? 2 of the 3 are high schoolers, and Ames is a JC guy.

Turn Off Ads?