Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Return of Edinson Volquez

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

The Return of Edinson Volquez

Well, since my Leake thread is going so well, , I thought I throw this one out as well. Is it really that hard to imagine this guy going out and dominating the rest of the season? If it has been said once its been said a million times, if he can get his stuff over the plate, he will be great.

So what do you think? Have you given up on Edinson Volquez, for at least this season, or are you excited to see what this guy can do coming back from Triple A Louisville.

I have to admit, I can see this guy come in a dominate the Cubs and go from there.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Return of Edinson Volquez

I haven't given up but my expectations for EV have always been tempered. I enevr got caught up in all the TOR "stuff" and all that. He can be an asset, hopefully he is for the rest of the season.

Need him to be a solid #3 starter at this point. I'm disappointed every time he's thrown into the limelight as an ace.....I'm lowering expecations for EV with hopes that a rotation of Homer/Cueto/EV/Wood/Leake will carry us through the long summer.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I have zero faith in Volquez. Zero. I believe that he is only back because Homer went down. I would have liked to see him pitch for 30 days in AAA with a walk rate less than 3 per 9 innings prior to bringing him back. Didn't happen. I think we will see the same Edinson we did prior to his demotion.

Yuck! I hope for 5IP and < 4ER.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I don't think he'll be anything more than wildly inconsistent as a Cincinnati Red and I think we've seen the best that's never to return as a Major Leaguer period.

The one positive is that he'll be cheaper and low-risk to bring back next year. But if he continues to be mis-cast as a #1, TOR starter, is that a positive for a team?

I just hope he gets us some wins in the short term. I cringed when he got to start game 1 at Philly in the playoffs and I cringe when he takes the mound in a must-win game now.

Best case, I think he's a shot in the arm until Homer gets back and Arroyo beats mono. Worst case he becomes more a part of why we free-fall and what we look back on and continue to be able to say "what if" about.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-0

If he gets through the first inning without giving up a run it will be a major accomplishment. I really don't have much faith that he turned it around in the short amount of time he was in AAA. But I thought the same about Leake and he's been better since coming back to the big leagues. Maybe Volquez will help me eat a little crow on this one too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I find it hard to believe a pitcher who struggles to throw strikes will emerge from a couple of weeks in "time out" at AAA as an effective pitcher.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Usually, the last thing that a TJ surgery recipient recovers is his control. Volquez's velocity is fine. He just can't find the plate and that's what's getting him in trouble right now.

I'm not saying that there might not be some 'mind-games' bouncing around in his 'block' but, if he ever harnesses his talent, he'll be TOR. I'd like to see him do it with the Reds.

Rem

At this point, if he can solidify the #5 slot it the rotation, I will be thrilled.
    I was expecting a .500 season out of him this year, but I am not sure that is realistic. I didn't want to see him recalled this soon, but I understand he's really the only option (don't want to see Reinike start again).

I guess the Cubs are probably the best team for a guy like him to start over with.. I hope he can give us 5 IP or more.. That might be too much to ask.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Usually, the last thing that a TJ surgery recipient recovers is his control. Volquez's velocity is fine. He just can't find the plate and that's what's getting him in trouble right now.

Rem
    Very true but us fans know that control was an issue before his surgery. I don't know what control there is to "recover".

I agree that if he solidifies the #5 spot in the rotation, that'd be great

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Very true but us fans know that control was an issue before his surgery. I don't know what control there is to "recover".

I agree that if he solidifies the #5 spot in the rotation, that'd be great
    Well, it wasn't as bad as it has been this year.

I am guessing he will have a satisfactory performance this evening against the Cubs - most likely because they are the Cubs. However, what happens if he is back to his ineffectual self in his next start or the start after that? Does he keep going out there, go on the DL or go back to the minors?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

In the name of "could Volquez do any worse than other starters not named Leake or Cueto," I think it makes sense to bring him back up. The rotation is a mess, prob. do or die for Volquez' career as a Red.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I have zero faith that EV will amount to anything more than the train wreck we've witnessed on the mound since he came back from his TJ surgery/suspension. I'll go further and say I absolutely hate watching him pitch - his laziness, his lack of emotion and his ridiculous appearance.

I hate that he pitches for my favorite team.

Always a treat.

Turn Off Ads?