Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gabriel Rosa

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gabriel Rosa

Please use this thread to compile scouting reports and other info on Reds 2011 2nd Rounder Puerto Rican HS OF Gabriel Rosa.
    Go BLUE!!!

Re: Gabriel Rosa

From BA:
    84. Reds: Puerto Rico OF Gabriel Rosa. Tall and rangy, he's raw but has intriguing speed and power potential.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wonder how he compares to Yorman Rodriguez?
    Go BLUE!!!

The description reminded me of Stubbs. Though I imagine this is not a rare profile.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The full scouting report on BA says that two scouts have compared him to Juan Encarnacion and that, while he has plus speed, he is "no burner".

He looks more like a guy who sells out for power. Likely does not have the defense/speed tools that Yorman does. Rosa has played a lot of infield, while Yorman has always been an OF.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He looks more like a guy who sells out for power. Likely does not have the defense/speed tools that Yorman does. Rosa has played a lot of infield, while Yorman has always been an OF.
    Agree with the selling out for power bit, so I don't think he has nearly the speed or defense of Stubbs, but much more so of Yorman. As I've said since Day 1 (ie yesterday ) I think his best comp could be to another OF that was also drafted in the 2nd round out of Puerto Rico, Carlos Beltran.

(I'm thinking more the 30+ HR 20 SB, average defensive New York Met Carlos Beltran rather than the 40+ SB plus-plus defense Kansas City Royal Carlos Beltran.)

It will be interesting to see who starts in CF for Dayton next year, Y-Rod, Rosa, or Kyle Waldrop. Seems like one of the OF (Duran?) will have to be promoted to High A next year to make room. Or maybe Waldrop mashes in Billings this year so much so that he skips Dayton in order to keep the Carribean OF of Y-Rod, Duran, and Rosa together in Dayton?
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-08-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Agree with the selling out for power bit, so I don't think he has nearly the speed or defense of Stubbs, but much more so of Yorman. As I've said since Day 1 (ie yesterday ) I think his best comp could be to another OF that was also drafted in the 2nd round out of Puerto Rico, Carlos Beltran.

(I'm thinking more the 30+ HR 20 SB, average defensive New York Met Carlos Beltran rather than the 40+ SB plus-plus defense Kansas City Royal Carlos Beltran.)
    The kid's got a ton of physical development left to go. His power could eclipse Beltran's, best case. His speed could become average, who knows. Generally speaking, I have to think the experienced scouts' well-trained eyes make the Juan Encarnacion comp a realistic one.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The kid's got a ton of physical development left to go. His power could eclipse Beltran's, best case. His speed could become average, who knows. Generally speaking, I have to think the experienced scouts' well-trained eyes make the Juan Encarnacion comp a realistic one.
    You're saying I'm not an experienced scout with a well-trained eye?

Kidding, I've never seen the kid play.
    Go BLUE!!!

He reminds me of a Nelson Cruz type player (If he fills out a little more) with plus power potential and can swipe a bag.
    Last edited by Grande Donkey; 06-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

As long as he turns out better than last year's second-round pick Ryan LaMarre (a college player who is struggling in high-A ball a year after getting drafted) I will be happy.

reminds me a little of Alex Rios with his build and scouting report.

Rosa looks way more filled out than the 185lbs he's listed at on mlb.com. I'm hoping he forgoes the 25 stolen bases a year and strives for hulking power left fielder.

Physically the kid reminds me of A-Rod at the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Physically the kid reminds me of A-Rod at the same age.
    Ain't nothin' 'roids can't fix.
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Turn Off Ads?