Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Top Prospects - June 2011 Edition

Re: Reds Top Prospects - June 2011 Edition

HRod is an underrated guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    HRod is an underrated guy.
    He's another that fits into the 12-15 range, although apparently he has other issues which are impeding his progress.
    Go BLUE!!!

I like to think of Stephenson and Corcino as the new Bailey and Cueto of the Reds farm system, respectively. Stephenson/Bailey as the projectable righty drafted in the first round, and Corcino/Cueto as the shorter, stockier, less hearlded Dominican who has dominated the lower minors. Those two arms are actually pretty good comps for the Reds' top two pitching prospects (including their stuff), and like Bailey and Cueto, their development time and respective ceilings should compete all the way up the ladder.

Guillon could be the new Travis Wood, the lefty who lags those two in development but could blossom into the third in the trio of pitching prospects.

Garrett could be the new Chapman (with less upside of course), although I'd like to see the original Chapman pan out first.
    Go BLUE!!!

Agreed with the Stephenson/Corcino comps. They may be a bit cruder and have a longer path than Bailey/Cueto, but I'd love to have them put up that kind of production once those two are gone. Hopefully Stephenson will live up to Bailey's immense potential... it's been far too long since the Cincinnati has had an ace (in the past 20 years, only Rijo comes close, in my eyes).

Hearing about Gullion's stuff, he seems to have a higher upside than Travis Wood. Perhaps not TOR, but enough to be the best arm in the current rotation, Cueto aside. He's still young and raw, and has a long way to go before we really find out what we have with him.

While we're at it, Rosa reminds me a good bit of Juan Duran. Tall and raw with prodigious power potential and good speed, though trending more towards a speedier player than Duran's mostly power bat (of course, he plays SS and CF, but the tools seem similar).

In other words, our system is stacked at the lower levels with extremely raw talent (didn't even mention Rodriguez and Hamilton), but they've all got a long way to go. Even if only 2 of those 7 guys reach their full potential, it's a win for the Reds system.

hi guys, whats the story with Donnie Joseph? I have seen him really high on some lists and not ranked at all on others?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRoseBelongs View Post
    hi guys, whats the story with Donnie Joseph? I have seen him really high on some lists and not ranked at all on others?
    Most of the lists you've seen him high on are from last year, most likely. He was absolutely destroyed to start out the year, and despite a number of consecutive scoreless innings recently, his ERA remains above 8.

There's still a very good chance that he'll be the stud reliever we all expect him to be (Boxberger had similar struggles in AA last year), and he still has the best slider in the system, but he doesn't have the fast track to the majors that many of us thought he did last year.

Turn Off Ads?