Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another day, another Brandon Phillips life lesson

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another day, another Brandon Phillips life lesson

Here is your "Cardinals' are whiny *****es" moment for today (thanks to the alert Sun Deckers who saw this over on St. Louis Today)...

Quote Originally Posted by STL Today
    Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, more or less, has put behind him Cincinnati Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman's criticisms of the Cardinals as "whiners" and the "most hated team in baseball." But what nettles him more, he said, is what he hasn't heard from the Cincinnati organization.

"There are people in that organization, from the top - (Bob) Castellini, Walt (general manager Walt Jocketty), Jerry Walker, to the players who were here - they know how we compete," La Russa said. "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it. When you lose, you tip your cap.

"The guys who are in the best position (to say anything) are the owner (Castellini) and the general manager. I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...b60e51d29.html

Really, Tony? You need the Reds' brass to come out and tell you what you already know -- that it was Marty's opinion?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Re: Another day, another Brandon Phillips life lesson

Cardinals manager Tony La Russa, more or less, has put behind him Cincinnati Hall of Fame broadcaster Marty Brennaman's criticisms of the Cardinals as "whiners" and the "most hated team in baseball."
    I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."
    You just can't make this stuff up. Well, at least he's put it behind him. Sort of. But not really. At all.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Senor Votto

This came out of no where

Tony LaRussa is absolutely right, class organizations quietly enjoy when they win and when they lose they tip their caps and get ready for tomorrow.

When the Cardinals do that, then he can be upset, until then....shut up Tony.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I suspect Marty would point his venom in their direction if someone in the Reds FO distanced themselves from anything he said on the air. Nobody up there wants to be awarded a new nickname in the tradition of "Ol' Leatherpants."

I really can't stand the St. Louis Cardinals.

McAlister had this on his site today, and I was dumbfounded. What a moron.

Hey Tony: When Pooholes hit his walkoff the other day against the Cubs and then stood posing like a statue watching it go out, then hopped like a little girl down the third-base line to home plate ... was that "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it"???

Was that "acting like you've been there before"???

The hypocracy that comes out of St. Louis is nothing short of mind-numbing.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 06-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    Hey Tony: When Pooholes hit his walkoff the other day against the Cubs and then stood posing like a statue watching it go out, then hopped like a little girl down the third-base line to home plate ... was that "If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it"???

Was that "acting like you've been there before"???

The hypocracy that comes out of St. Louis is nothing short of mind-numbing.
    Could you imagine the outrage if one of the Reds players did this to end a Reds/Cards game?I suppose that's your point but I'm just trying to imagine the headlines in St. Louis the next day.

Well, to be fair, Pujols had pretty much stunk up until this past weekend, so maybe he was surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Well, to be fair, Pujols had pretty much stunk up until this past weekend, so maybe he was surprised?
    Good for AP.I don't think anyone here cares that he admired a game winning shot.It just seems that it's the kind of thing that TRL is whining about.

Busch league team.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whiny LaRussa
    "The guys who are in the best position (to say anything) are the owner (Castellini) and the general manager. I'm really disappointed they've been so mute - that they didn't say, ‘That's (Brennaman's) opinion. We don't necessarily agree with it.' It really bothers me."
    Hey Tony, have you ever heard the saying, "Sometimes no answer is an answer."? I'm pretty sure it applies here.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

The whining just never ends. Brandon Phillips looks like the smartest guy on earth every time somebody from that organization opens their mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

"If you win, you shut your mouth and enjoy it. When you lose, you tip your cap.

It's really too bad that we now have an entire generation (+?) of fans who weren't around / old enough to enjoy the 1990 WS. Eckersley pumping his fist and shouting after a K or a save, the prima donna Bash Brothers, Rickey Henderson running his mouth, etc etc etc.

And the Reds absolutely kicked their butts on the sport's biggest stage. One of the supposedly all-time greatest teams in the history of the game, and they got swept.

I think when the Reds play the Cards, Billy Hatcher should coach whatever base is closest to the Cardinals dugout.

Just so LaRussa has to look at him up close all game long.

Turn Off Ads?