20 42.55%
  • Jose Reyes/SS

4 8.51%
  • Matt Kemp/LF

23 48.94%
  • fill other need

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One move to make.What do you do?

One move to make.What do you do?

Simple question.If it's up to you who do you go get?Felix Hernandez/TOR starter,Jose Reyes/stud SS or Matt Kemp/stud LF.These seem to be the popular names being thrown around but if there's someone else you like let us know.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: One move to make.What do you do?

Matt Kemp. As much as we need pitching at the moment, Kemp would raise our offense from extremely good to terrifying.

Going to the playoffs is nice and all, but if you want to win a championship, you're going to need atleast one legitimate hurler that can shutdown a good team on any given night. Felix Hernandez would be a great pickup, but I can only imagine what it'd cost to land him.
    That hit was plenty fair. Atleast by a quarter of an inch.
    -Steve Stone

Felix would cost too much in talent, although he's clearly the best of the three. Pitchers are by definition riskier acquisitions too.

Reyes would just be a rental and very pricey too.

Kemp is at the beginning of the peak of his career, and wouldn't cost as much as the other two in terms of players. He's also real good.

I voted Kemp.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Felix would cost too much in talent, although he's clearly the best of the three. Pitchers are by definition riskier acquisitions too.

Reyes would just be a rental and very pricey too.

Kemp is at the beginning of the peak of his career, and wouldn't cost as much as the other two in terms of players. He's also real good.

I voted Kemp.
    I picked Kemp also.He wouldn't be a half season rental and I'm just sick of getting bad defense on most nights and almost no offensive production every night from LF.

I want the Reds to contend for the World Series Championship. IMO to do this they need two TOR starters. Bailey could be one someday if he could stay healthy. Cueto looks to me like a nice MOR arm. Arroyo is what he is. One night won't make me a Volquez believer. Leake & Wood could be #2 starters someday but I'd be happy if they became MOR arms. Chapman isn't going to be a TOR arm anytime soon.

Hence, my vote goes to Felix.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I voted for Kemp because, I think it's the most likely move. He is what we'd have if we took Gomes' hitting vs. lefties, Lewis' hitting vs. righties, and Heisey's fielding and put them in one body. The Dodgers are in upheaval and they've hired John Allen to help with their fire sale...(we might get him for a handful of failed prospects )
    I would really prefer a shutdown TOR starter like King Felix, but I think he (or any REAL TOR guy) will cost more than we can ever afford.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

If the Reds could get King Felix, that's a no brainer.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If the Reds could get King Felix, that's a no brainer.
    For free, yeah.

But for what it will likely take to get him, I'd have to use my brain alot.

I'm guessing at least one of the following...

Votto
    Bruce
    Chapman
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

If we could get Beltran and Reyes then I am going that way. But if it is just Reyes I don't want him. Rental, expensive, I would use my chips to get Kemp. But if we could work out a deal with the Mets for those two, then I would make the move.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I could more easily live with Janish at SS if the Reds acquired a LF than live with what they have in LF if they acquired a SS. That said, I've advocated for Reyes in the past. I think him at the top of the lineup, with Stubbs in the #2 hole would be amazing. Stubbs would see a load of fastballs when Reyes was on base, and that could only help him.

But if I was going for a LF I'd kick the tires on Beltran and Justin Upton along with Kemp. Beltran and Reyes in a package would be interesting, but giving up what? I guess that would depend on how much salary the Reds were willing to pick up.

As for pitching, I still have faith it will come around. The talent is there, but these guys just need to be more consistent. That will happen. But if we have to go for a pitcher, King Felix isn't a bad target. Like someone said above, though, how much in talent is that going to cost? Maybe Ian Kennedy would be a better option.
    Sabermetrics is this: A batter's goal is to extend the inning. Extend enough innings and you're going to score runs. Extend more innings than your opponent and you're going to score more runs than him.

Forget the rain. It's never an official game until the Reds piss away a run between third base and home plate. - Bluegrass Redleg

If Hernandez is available you get him. You always get pitching first. But I don't think he is available. The easy 2nd choice and most likely will be available is Kemp. Put him into the middle of an already good lineup and it gets scary good. I would love to see Kemp hit in 82 games at GABP. I think it would be an easy 40-45 home runs for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

As far as this poll goes, King Felix. To go deep into the playoffs, you need those TOR stud starters.

But this poll is also unrealistic. I'd fill LF with someone decent. Votto and now Bruce are getting pitched around because once they are past Bruce, there ain't nuthin'.

Pay attention to the open sky

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Love to have Felix. But a guy like Matt Garza, with a reasonable cost, as a half year rental, would be realistic and positive, IMO.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    As far as this poll goes, King Felix. To go deep into the playoffs, you need those TOR stud starters.

But this poll is also unrealistic. I'd fill LF with someone decent. Votto and now Bruce are getting pitched around because once they are past Bruce, there ain't nuthin'.
    Oh we have one of those believe it or not. His name is Mike Leake #stirthepot
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Turn Off Ads?