Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Amazing offensive stats for the Reds' AAA prospects as of 6/8/11

Amazing offensive stats for the Reds' AAA prospects as of 6/8/11

Probably nowhere to go but down, but I don't know that I can think of a time in my 40 years of following this franchise that I remember a core of prospects at AAA with this collective kind of slash lines:

Yondor Alonso LF/1b:

.323/.381/.509 for an .890 OPS

Devin Mesaraco C:

.330/.415/.553 for an .968 OPS

Juan Francisco 3b:

.319/.342/.491 for an .833 OPS

Todd Frazier 3b/OF:

.284/.365/.515 for an .880 OPS

Zack Cozart SS:

.315/.353/.500 for an .853 OPS

The organization clearly doesn't view Dorn as a prospect, but he is at .874 OPS and Hermida, no prospect, is at a .958 OPS.

And Sappelt before getting hurt was at .341/.417/.588 in 85 at-bats.

That's just completely crazy in terms of productivity.

I guess I would hate to see the Reds waste this collection of talent. I would like to see the Reds identify and advance some of these bats to Cincy, and do so soon, and those that they don't want to bring up, move for pitching help. The last thing I want to see is the Reds to hang onto the prospects so long that they end up draining them of value (the Brandon Wood corrollary if you will).

At any rate, it just seems appropriate to pause for a moment and drink in how good a collection of talent the Reds have developed and apparently made ready to not just contribute in the major leagues but make an impact.
    Last edited by membengal; 06-08-2011 at 06:56 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Amazing offensive stats for the Reds' AAA prospects as of 6/8/11

You've left out the Rodney Dangerfield of the Reds org.

Dorn OF/1B:

.302/.351/.523 for an .874 OPS

And the amazing disappearing bat guy

Jeremy Hermida OF:

.356/.438/.521 for a .959 OPS

Read closer goya...I included both.

I've often wondered about the Reds' plans for these guys. The clock is ticking. Will they be promoted, traded, or what?

Some of these guys - in terms of age and skill - seem ready to move on to the major leagues with the Reds or someone else:

Cozart will be 26 on 8/12/11
    Dorn will be 27 or 7/20/11
    Francisco will be 24 on 6/24/11
    Valaika will be 26 on 8/14/11
    Alonso turned 24 on 4/8/11
    Frazier turned 25 on 2/12/11
    Sappelt turned 24 on 1/2/11
    Mesoraco will be 23 on 6/19/11

Can't leave these guys hanging around AAA forever. They are too good for that. Some are clearly ripe to be promoted -- somewhere.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-08-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Full agreement kc. Been a fan of your take on this on ORG for awhile now. If it were me I would call up cozart immediately. Deal Ramon in next month and get mes up, and decide on who to put in lf between frazier and alonso. Deal the other. Would bring back juan as well and start him three times a week for rolen.

But completely agree these particular prospects are vine-ripened fruit. Time to pick the harvest or watch it whither on the vine (hence my brandon wood analogy).

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Full agreement kc. Been a fan of your take on this on ORG for awhile now. If it were me I would call up cozart immediately. Deal Ramon in next month and get mes up, and decide on who to put in lf between frazier and alonso. Deal the other. Would bring back juan as well and start him three times a week for rolen.

But completely agree these particular prospects are vine-ripened fruit. Time to pick the harvest or watch it whither on the vine (hence my brandon wood analogy).

It's so odd that they are all just sitting at AAA with an occasional short-term call up for injury.

It must be obvious to the FO that these guys have to be in the majors soon or they will begin to lose value.

Cozart, I think, is the most compelling example. He is nearing 26, is playing great at AAA, the Reds need an all-around shortstop, he needs to be called up to team with Janish.

I have to think that Walt is planning a major deal which ships out a number of them for the trade deadline.

I hope he doesn't trade Mesoraco, though. Kid looks like a future all-star, IMO.

Mesaraco's numbers are indeed eye-popping. Whatever light came on last year...it is still on.

Mes is a top-10 prospect in all of baseball right now. 23 year old catchers that play solid defense that you can bat in the middle of the lineup are very rare. He is a better prospect than Jesus Montero, who is currently OPSing .750 in AAA and still struggling with his defense. Although in his defense he is 2 years younger than Mes.

I can't remember a time when a prospect went from "bust" to "stud" so quickly as Mes. Syre, his .381 BABIP is a bit high this year, but the BB% and K% seem quite sustainable and as least anecdotally, it sounds like the BABIP may be as much a function as just smoking a ton of line drives as opposed to getting lucky on bloopers and seeing-eye grounders.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

From another perspective, the Bats have the #1, #3, #5, #7 and #15 hitters in the IL, rated by AVG.

Also #1 and #2 hitters based on OPS.

Team OPS is .805 with team AVG at .285.

Never noticed until today, but Mesoraco's hometown newspaper keeps tabs on him with a weekly "Mesoraco Watch".

http://www.punxsutawneyspirit.com/co...soraco-watch-4

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    From another perspective, the Bats have the #1, #3, #5, #7 and #15 hitters in the IL, rated by AVG.

Also #1 and #2 hitters based on OPS.

Team OPS is .805 with team AVG at .285.
    The craziest part it all is that none of these players are having a particularly "breakout" season. They're just all ready for the big time.

I'd love to see these Reds starting lineups next year:

Cozart
    Phillips
    Votto
    Alonso
    Bruce
    Rolen/Frazier
    Stubbs
    Mesoraco

OR

Sappelt
    Phillips
    Votto
    Mesoraco
    Bruce
    Rolen/Frazier
    Stubbs
    Janish/Cozart

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

It's funny you started this thread because I was just thinking the same thing. What an incredible mix of offensive talent at Louisville this year. I love following their box scores each game -- especially over the last month when all the key players I follow seem to be on fire. People try to get me to go to Columbus Clippers game sometimes and I tell them "Heck no, unless they're playing Louisville. And BTW, I'll be rooting for the Bats."

I actually know a few Reds fans who go to some Clippers games and root for the Clippers! Screw rooting for anything associated with Cleveland. I'm still very salty that Columbus is the home of the Indians' AAA affiliate. I liked it much better when the Yankees' AAA team was here -- made the city not feel like as much of an "Indians town." There are a ton of Reds fans in Columbus ... I wonder how many of them completely boycott Clippers games like me unless the Bats are in town. I only care about the Reds. I have no civic pride when it comes to the Clippers. I used to, but now I actually root against them. Ha.

If you live in Cincinnati, you probably don't think there really is a Reds-Indians "rivalry." But you would feel different if you lived in Columbus because it's so split. There is a lot of jabbering back-and-forth with Tribe fans around these parts.

Turn Off Ads?