Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expect to see the Reds all over the next wave of rumors

Expect to see the Reds all over the next wave of rumors

San Jose Mercury News (via MLB Trade Rumors) says the Giants are ramping up efforts to get a receiver.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/0...-catchers.html

Sounds like they want the trade target to be a good pitch caller/defender as much as a good bat.

Talks have to involve Ramon, right?

And mid June has to be a good date to hopefully avoid Mes' super two status, right?

Anyone know the Giants organization well enough to suggest a fair or hopeful return on such a deal?
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Expect to see the Reds all over the next wave of rumors

Giants need a receiver? I thought, with the emergence of Manningham, they were fairly deep there?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Giants need a receiver? I thought, with the emergence of Manningham, they were fairly deep there?

Ramon for Eric Surkamp?

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Ramon for Eric Surkamp?
    Haha. Exact same guy I was going to suggest. Cincinnati kid, lefty starting pitcher, putting up pretty darn good numbers in AA.

Eric Surkamp makes a lot of sense as a Reds trade target from the Giants. Check out his Twitter channel. He's "here to drop some knowledge on you."

http://twitter.com/#!/esurkamp

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Haha. Exact same guy I was going to suggest. Cincinnati kid, lefty starting pitcher, putting up pretty darn good numbers in AA.
    GCL kid. Nice.

Adding a pitcher deepens the system a little more for a bigger-splash deadline deal too. I don't think I'd be opposed to this idea at all.

Seems like this is exactly the Reds' long-term plan. Wait until a prospect is truly MLB-ready, trade the vet that's blocking him, add system depth and call up the prospect*. Lather, rinse and repeat.

EDIT: * Noted exception includes Votto, Joey.
    Last edited by I(heart)Freel; 06-08-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Jose Cassila and Jorge Bucardo are two power arms with good sinkers. Either one would fit GAPB.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think the Reds are HIGHLY unlikely to deal a catcher during the season if still in the race. It makes sense if you're running a stratomatic team, but catchers are so involved with the pitching staff, that it's pretty disruptive to make a change there. And you're talking about trading the guy who has handled our young, Spanish-speaking pitchers and who would leave us without a Spanish-speaking catcher. I know a trade is Jocketty's call, but he seems to value being on the same page as Dusty and I don't think Dusty would dare risk rocking the boat that much.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the Reds are HIGHLY unlikely to deal a catcher during the season if still in the race. It makes sense if you're running a stratomatic team, but catchers are so involved with the pitching staff, that it's pretty disruptive to make a change there. And you're talking about trading the guy who has handled our young, Spanish-speaking pitchers and who would leave us without a Spanish-speaking catcher. I know a trade is Jocketty's call, but he seems to value being on the same page as Dusty and I don't think Dusty would dare risk rocking the boat that much.
    Agree 100%.

The Giants traded their everyday starting catcher midway through the season last year, brought up an inexperienced rookie and, well ... won the World Series.

It can be done.

What about dealing Hanigan?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    The Giants traded their everyday starting catcher midway through the season last year, brought up an inexperienced rookie and, well ... won the World Series.

It can be done.
    A.) Their starting catcher was hitting .257/.312/.332
    B.) Their starting rotation was not full of guys who barely spoke English

Can it be done? Sure. I never suggested it couldn't. I suggested it wouldn't. Apples and Oranges.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    What about dealing Hanigan?
    I think it's more likely than Hernandez. But I also think the Reds want to keep him around as the 2nd catcher given his defensive skills and friendly contract.

I don't think they see using Hernandez as the backup to Mes as an option. And I don't think they want to bring up Mes as the 2nd catcher.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Would any of you have any interest in Tejada? or the Brandon Crawford kid?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Turn Off Ads?