Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grande Donkey View Post
    Well considering he was projected to go rounds 4-10, I'd expect he would want fourth or fifth round cash.
    I understand he was projected to do that but when you put out info out there that you will be a tough sign, if at all....what do you expect or where do you expect to be taken? Unless you guarantee someone you would sign if drafted within the first 6 rounds.... why would anyone draft you within those rounds?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I understand he was projected to do that but when you put out info out there that you will be a tough sign, if at all....what do you expect or where do you expect to be taken? Unless you guarantee someone you would sign if drafted within the first 6 rounds.... why would anyone draft you within those rounds?
    Theoretically, if you were making a big signining and didn't have the cash to spend on a #1 or a #2, you could draft a kid like this and punt on the pick to get a comp pick the enxt year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He is pitching this summer for the Marucci Elite 18-and-under travel team and will work to gain as much weight as possible to his 6-5, 170-pound frame.
    This is a win-win situation for the Reds. They get to watch him over the summer. Maybe his stock rises to where if the draft was held a few months later he'd be a shoo-in for going in the top 2 rounds. The Reds offer him 4th round money. He takes it, the Reds have a potential steal. If not, oh well, he's a 50th round pick and those are generally wasted picks anyway.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You expect to get paid (well) or to go to college. The reason someone would take him within the rounds he was expected to go is that maybe they were willing to pay him to bypass college.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You expect to get paid (well) or to go to college. The reason someone would take him within the rounds he was expected to go is that maybe they were willing to pay him to bypass college.

Thanks.

3rd rounder LHP Tony Cingrani has signed.

Rice LHP Tony Cingrani (#Reds) and LHP Abe Gonzales (#Royals) signed professional baseball contracts today #mlbdraft

http://twitter.com/Chronicle_Owls

I'm actually surprised more of these guys haven't signed already. Of course the top few picks and most of the high schoolers nothwithstanding, I remember teams signing at least 8 or 9 guys in the week immediately following the draft.
    Go BLUE!!!

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

The Reds have signed 13 of their recent draftees and also a non-drafted free agent, the team announced.

The highest pick to sign is No. 4 choice Kyle McMyne, a right-handed pitcher from Villanova University. Signees also include No. 6 pick Sean Buckley, son of Reds senior director of amateur scouting Chris Buckley. Sean Buckley is a third baseman from St. Petersburg Junior College.
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...draftees-sign/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Ah ha!
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Now if only there were an actual list of who the 13 were instead of giving us 2 names and a guy that wasn't even drafted who signed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

Reds ink 14 Draft picks, including third-rounder
    LOS ANGELES -- The Reds announced Monday the signing of third-round pick Tony Cingrani, a left-handed reliever out of Rice University. Cingrani had 12 saves in 32 relief appearances this season while posting a 1.74 ERA.

Cingrani was the highest pick out of 14 signings from the 2011 First-Year Player Draft the Reds announced Monday, including fourth-round right-handed pitcher Kyle McMyne out of Villanova. McMyne was a starting pitcher in college but is projected to be a reliever.

Also signed was third baseman Sean Buckley (sixth round), the son of Reds amateur scouting director Chris Buckley. After Buckley, the organization inked pitcher James Allen (seventh round), outfielder Jon Matthews (eighth round), pitchers Ronald Pinckard (10th round), James Moran (18th round), Chris Joyce (19th round), Daniel Jensen (20th round) and Carlos Gonzalez (21st round), first baseman Nicholas O'Shea (24th round), pitcher Justice French (25th round), second baseman Juan Perez (26th round), pitcher Eric Alessio (49th round) and undrafted free agent and shortstop Phillips Bauer.
    THANKS MARK!
    ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40

Strange, almost 48 hrs w/o a post. I thought there would be two or three a day with the start of short-season rookie leagues fast approaching.

Any word on our first rounder yet?

[moved my post to the Stephenson thread]
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-16-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Ryan Wright, when does this guy get signed. I am more excited about him than maybe anyone else the Reds selected this year. Not sure why, but I like his game.

Turn Off Ads?