Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Of the 25 players drafted in front of Stephenson who signed, 11 of them signed for less money. The Reds have really set a trend for paying above slot. In addition to paying over slot for several late-round draft picks over the past few years, the they have paid above slot for their first round picks in 3 out of the last 4 drafts. How could you possibly question their commitment to the future?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Of the 25 players drafted in front of Stephenson who signed, 11 of them signed for less money. The Reds have really set a trend for paying above slot. In addition to paying over slot for several late-round draft picks over the past few years, the they have paid above slot for their first round picks in 3 out of the last 4 drafts. How could you possibly question their commitment to the future?
    If you are committed to the future you sign those guys a month before the deadline duh! Good thing Walt barely woke up in time!

/sarcasm
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I'm irritated he didn't sign them before he actually drafted them. Any halfway decent GM that's awake and, y'know, good, would have signed them then. It's the mark of a bad franchise to wait until the deadline to pay millions of dollars to kids above slot.

And another thing: these kids should already be in the major leagues! I can't believe Walt has failed this badly! Geez, a half-trained monkey could do better. I expect more, Walt!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'm irritated he didn't sign them before he actually drafted them. Any halfway decent GM that's awake and, y'know, good, would have signed them then. It's the mark of a bad franchise to wait until the deadline to pay millions of dollars to kids above slot.

And another thing: these kids should already be in the major leagues! I can't believe Walt has failed this badly! Geez, a half-trained monkey could do better. I expect more, Walt!
    Yeah, they really messed up with the pick of Leake. Any time you need to demote a guy to pitch two games in the minors, you know you made a bad pick.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am hoping for Garrett, Phillips, Baranick, Carson and Radke. I will be glad with one of the first four listed for sure, but hope we can get at least two of the five.
    So it looks you only got 1 of the 5, eh? Why do you think the Reds couldn't squeeze out another?

Just stumbled across this. If this is old news, my apologies.

http://baseballdraftreport.com/

While I know nothing about this site, this was encouraging:

If I had to pick one such arm to compare Stephenson to, I’d go with the high school version of Shelby Miller: similar quality fastball and curve, frame, smooth mechanics, and ability to hold velocity late. More plainly, like Miller, Stephenson is a stud prospect with top of the rotation upside.

The Reds did not sign Amlung. Supposedly he flew to Cincinnati to sign, and the Reds weren't offering as much as had been talked about before he came into town.

The Reds did not sign Amlung. Supposedly he flew to Cincinnati to sign, and the Reds weren't offering as much as had been talked about before he came into town.
    That sounds like a big "supposedly." Maybe agent damage control speaking there.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Does this really need to be a stickied post still?

Turn Off Ads?