Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Looks like he's dealing with an slight injury of some sorts, according to this Billings Gazette article; plus his innings are being watched since he pitched 80 innings at 'Nova.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...b0ddadeb1.html
    They are also being extremely cautious with Cingrani's innings and he has been very impressive at Billings:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=571561

That's called a third-round steal, folks. A big lefty with a good K rate and control? I like. I expect Cingrani to get a cup of coffee at Dayton before the season is over.

But the steal of the whole draft has to be Sean Buckley. Our scouting director really did a fine job there. Ha. But seriously, Buckley is raking and then some. Not bad for a sixth-rounder:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=542987

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    They are also being extremely cautious with Cingrani's innings and he has been very impressive at Billings:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=571561

That's called a third-round steal, folks. A big lefty with a good K rate and control? I like. I expect Cingrani to get a cup of coffee at Dayton before the season is over.

But the steal of the whole draft has to be Sean Buckley. Our scouting director really did a fine job there. Ha. But seriously, Buckley is raking and then some. Not bad for a sixth-rounder:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=542987

No offense, but it's a little early to be proclaiming anyone a true steal at this point. I'm as excited as anyone to see early success from guys like Cingrani and Buckley, but you have to remember they are college (in Cingrani's case, big time college) players in Rookie League- and it hasn't even been two months.

Early success is great. But let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves in proclaiming "third round steals" and "the steal of the whole draft" based off of six weeks of results. Remember that it's so early that three-quarters of the first round picks haven't even signed yet.

That said between Vidal, Buckley, Arias, and Rosa, 3B is quickly becoming an interesting position in the Reds' lower minors.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-03-2011 at 11:02 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    No offense, but it's a little early to be proclaiming anyone a true steal at this point. I'm as excited as anyone to see early success from guys like Cingrani and Buckley, but you have to remember they are college (in Cingrani's case, big time college) players in Billings- and it hasn't even been two months.

Early success is great. But let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves in proclaiming "third round steals" and "the steal of the draft" based off of six weeks of results. Remember that it's so early that three-quarters of the first round picks haven't even signed yet.

That said between Vidal, Buckley, Arias, and Rosa, 3B is quickly becoming an interesting position in the Reds' lower minors.
    Agreed, the break kneck reaction time is unbelieveable. I guess for the first half of the season this year Billy Hamilton was a complete and utter waste of a pick and now he is a bigger steal then Sir Albert?
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Someone is a steal of the draft when they prove they can play major league baseball at an aceptable level.

A pitcher who's pitched 20 good or bad innings has proven squat.

No offense, but it's a little early to be proclaiming anyone a true steal at this point. I'm as excited as anyone to see early success from guys like Cingrani and Buckley, but you have to remember they are college (in Cingrani's case, big time college) players in Rookie League- and it hasn't even been two months.

Early success is great. But let's just not get too far ahead of ourselves in proclaiming "third round steals" and "the steal of the whole draft" based off of six weeks of results. Remember that it's so early that three-quarters of the first round picks haven't even signed yet.

None taken at all. I fully agree that no one drafted less than 2 months ago can be considered a definite steal. I should have classified my statement by saying something to the effect of: "Cingrani and Buckley sure look like steals at this point."

And the beat goes on for Cingrani. 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 8 K tonight. Gotta love it.

Please keep this thread for its intended purpose. You're more than welcome to start a new thread if you'd like to discuss the performance of the draft picks to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Please keep this thread for its intended purpose. You're more than welcome to start a new thread if you'd like to discuss the performance of the draft picks to date.
    I didn't realize the intended purpose. I thought this would be a good "catch-all" thread where we could discuss all the players drafted this summer and how they're progressing. But point taken. If I want to talk about Cingrani's development or something, I'll start a separate thread.

From Kendall Rogers of Perfect Game:

Didn't expect this, but was told today greater than 50% chance #Reds first-round pick Robert Stephenson goes to #Washington. #mlbdraft #MLB
    Sounds like Stephenson will need to get a ton of love from the #Reds at the deadline to spurn the #Huskies. He's an academic type.
    Stephenson the only 1st-rdr I've heard legit smoke on, #KentState P Andrew Chafin could surprise as a supp pick.
    http://twitter.com/#!/KendallRogersPG
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Smart move by his agent. I wouldn't get too nervous yet. We're going to hear a lot more about this stuff in the next week or two.

This would be the icing on the cake for a masterful season from the Reds FO. My guess is he ends up signing, but still...
    Go BLUE!!!

This would be the icing on the cake for a masterful season from the Reds FO. My guess is he ends up signing, but still...
    Yep, makes you wonder what the guys were actually doing, besides planning concerts for geriatric ex members, of bands named after insects.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

The hand wringing is absurd, hold off on the complaining until there is an actual final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    The hand wringing is absurd, hold off on the complaining until there is an actual final decision.
    This front office has yet to prove the naysayers wrong. Just saying, NAY
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    This front office has yet to prove the naysayers wrong. Just saying, NAY
    Have they punted on a pick yet? No
    Have they drafted guys and paid them over slot to get them to sign? Yes
    Have they invested heavily in the international market? Yes

The FO has shown they will bring talent in, you must have a very short memory sir.

Turn Off Ads?