Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Baseball America had him projected in the 4-6 range, so it's a legit pick.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Baseball America had him projected in the 4-6 range, so it's a legit pick.
    Okay, just making sure there wasn't a serious lapse in judgement somewhere, lol.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Okay, just making sure there wasn't a serious lapse in judgement somewhere, lol.

Buckley actually didn't want to draft him because of that reason, but Jocketty said he told him to do it because the scouts kept telling him that he was the best guy there.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I just don't get waiting all the way until the 35th round to take a catcher. One would think we were well-stocked there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I just don't get waiting all the way until the 35th round to take a catcher. One would think we were well-stocked there or something.
    The catching situation in Dayton could get pretty ugly next year. I'm not saying more depth is necessarily needed, but if you're of the belief that your affiliates should win, it could be a major black hole next year.

The Stallings kid from UNC will be solid. Maybe not a great prospect, but he'll do a good job with the pitchers down there, and that's important.

20th rounder RHP Dan Jensen has signed according to Jamie Ramsey.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The catching situation in Dayton could get pretty ugly next year. I'm not saying more depth is necessarily needed, but if you're of the belief that your affiliates should win, it could be a major black hole next year.
    They may have a catcher (or two) that is coming up through the DR/Venezuelan route they like or worst comes to worst, they can always find a filler in FA or from an Independant League.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 06-10-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    They may have a catcher (or two) that is coming up through the DR/Venezuelan route they like or worst comes to worst, they can always find a filler in FA or from an Independant League.
    The only guy I could think of who has been impressive at all is a kid in the VSL, Jose Duarte. The other options haven't been good so far:
    Yovan Gonzalez
    Danny Vicioso
    Wagner Gomez
    Fray Sosa
    Jorge Ariza
    Ponceano Flores
    Jose Raga
    Henderson Peralta
    Junior Soto
    Juan Carlos Peraza

Looks like you can make O'Shea bold...

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=205159059

Chris Joyce should be bolded as well

http://presidiosports.com/2011/06/jo...gns-with-reds/

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Looks like you can make O'Shea bold...

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=205159059
    Too bad his first name isn't Rick.

50th rounder Austin Robichaux looks unlikely to sign. Would have been drafted much higher according to this article, except for the signability issue.
    Perfect Game USA rated Robichaux as the No. 6 draft-eligible prospect in the state of Louisiana this year and projected him to go between the fourth and 10th round. Many experts didn't think he would sign given his commitment to the Cajuns, which resulted in him staying on the draft board until going to the Reds.
    Austin said he plans to be on campus for the Cajuns in the fall unless the Reds give him an offer he can't refuse. He is pitching this summer for the Marucci Elite 18-and-under travel team and will work to gain as much weight as possible to his 6-5, 170-pound frame.

"As of now I am a Cajun," he said. "All I know so far is that the Reds are going to follow me over the summer. If they come to me with a great offer after watching me play I'm going to be all ears, but it's going to have to be something big."

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    50th rounder Austin Robichaux looks unlikely to sign. Would have been drafted much higher according to this article, except for the signability issue.

How big is big for these guys near the bottom? For me...I guess I would be easy. Enough money to pay for my college tuition + room and board and all the coffee I can drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    How big is big for these guys near the bottom? For me...I guess I would be easy. Enough money to pay for my college tuition + room and board and all the coffee I can drink.
    Well considering he was projected to go rounds 4-10, I'd expect he would want fourth or fifth round cash.

Turn Off Ads?