Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: Official Reds 2011 Draft Picks and signing update thread

If LeCure is a good comp for Green, $100,000 is a bargain. I wonder how much Green turned down to come back for his Sr. year. I'm sure it cost him a bit.

According to the The baseball cube:

Selected by Detroit Tigers in 4th Round (133rd overall) of 2010 amateur entry draft (June-Reg) (Signing Bonus: $299,000).

I think this guy is going to be the steal of the draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Nice. Given his age and development, I'd send him to Dayton to replace the hopefully-promoted Smith or Corcino.
    Agree. I'd replace Smith (Bakersfield) with Green and let Corcino dominate the rest of the year in Dayton. Then have Corcino start out at AA next spring.

What's the status on Covington? Any word?

Rosa and Wright will sign. Wright is said to be a Valaika type player.

With the college pitchers that have already accumulated over 100 innings, it is hard to send them to a full-season club because the Reds want to limit their innings to a point where you can't afford to carry them on a 12-man staff.

For those wanting Corcino in Bakersfield, won't happen. Smith, maybe. 350' to center. Not for 20 year old pitchers.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What is taking so long with a high school shortstop (Serrano) drafted in the 12th round? Is he considering going to college?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    What is taking so long with a high school shortstop (Serrano) drafted in the 12th round? Is he considering going to college?
    Probably.

Keep in mind that if a player signs for over slot, it is going to get held up by the Commissioner's Office for weeks in many cases before the contract is approved and announced.

From talking to players who were drafted in past years, it was not unusual for the agreement to be reached in June and the contract did not become official until August.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Probably.
    Is he committed to Arizona? (Just guessing that school since he's from Tuscon.)

Just looked it up ... Serrano actually signed with the University of Arkansas:

http://azstarnet.com/sports/baseball...cc4c03286.html

Hopefully the Reds can convince him to sign rather than play college ball. Although Billy Hamilton is an exciting player, I'm not sure he's a legit candidate to be the Reds' shortstop of the future. He seems destined for second base to me (if he actually makes it to the Majors). We need depth at SS in the low minors and Serrano sounds like an intriguing prospect.

Still can't believe Wright hasn't signed yet. Very strange. He should be getting valuable playing time at Billings right now ... instead he's at home doing nothing.

Also, has anyone else looked up Kyle McMyne's collegiate stats? I just did and was blown away how awful they were. I know he's got a good fastball, but this guy seems like he was one heck of a reach in the fourth round. And it's not like Villanova was exactly playing top competition on a consistent basis.

However, I do like the third-round pick Cingrani (6-4 lefty) and he's off to a good start at Billings. He might have been a nice steal. But I will be shocked if McMyne is ever a good pitcher at the pro level. He got consistently rocked throughout his college career, including this year. Fourth round? I don't get it. It's almost as confusing as a fifth-round second baseman not signing yet.

He got consistently rocked throughout his college career, including this year. Fourth round? I don't get it.
    I believe Baseball America had McMyne at around 150 on their top 200 list. By that standard, he was not a reach at all.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I believe Baseball America had McMyne at around 150 on their top 200 list. By that standard, he was not a reach at all.
    That's one source. We'll see. His collegiate numbers were awful all three years at a school that doesn't even play the top competition. What am I missing?

That's one source. We'll see. His collegiate numbers were awful all three years at a school that doesn't even play the top competition. What am I missing?
    Scouts look beyond results sometimes. BA relies on scouts. BA's take is that he's a power arm who can sustain 92-93 MPH late into games and touch 96. They suggest a possible bullpen role down the line. He's a guy who can throw hard. Now it's up to the development to see if they can refine him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    That professional scouts and coaches are much better than college scouts and coaches.

I think the bigger concern or question should be, why do the Reds keep taking (projected) relievers so early in the draft?

Turn Off Ads?