Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Reds season is over!!!

The Reds season is over!!!

Let's face it guys. The Reds season is over. The players are playing like they know it and this front office isn't going to make a move to improve this club. They have proved this the last 2 years. Hope I'm wrong but I'm not. They will finish at least 10 games out of first and under .500 watch and see. I'd love to have to eat crow but it won't happen this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reds season is over!!!

Tell me, Mr. Future Man, what are the lottery numbers for tonight? I could use some extra cash.

I think we are looking at an overall .500 team, I don't think we will finish way under or over that. I think we are looking at 80-85 total wins this season. I think there are a number of reasons why for the dropoff which can be claimed by both the players and mag't. I think overall mag't made some critically bad decisions in the offseason during ST and now over the first few months. I also think the other teams in the central have or are playing much better ball then they did last season.

Am I concerned? Kinda of, I think some key issues need to be addressed by mag't over the coming months. I think some very HARD decisions must be made and I am not sure if Walt or Dusty can or are willing to make them. So it goes back to the post I made a few days back, the direction of this franchise lays in the hands of 1 man, and if Bob isn't willing or can't make those choices then I don't see any real change happening.

7 19 27 34 49 - 17. Go get your ticket now.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I think we are looking at an overall .500 team, I don't think we will finish way under or over that. I think we are looking at 80-85 total wins this season. I think there are a number of reasons why for the dropoff which can be claimed by both the players and mag't. I think overall mag't made some critically bad decisions in the offseason during ST and now over the first few months. I also think the other teams in the central have or are playing much better ball then they did last season.

Am I concerned? Kinda of, I think some key issues need to be addressed by mag't over the coming months. I think some very HARD decisions must be made and I am not sure if Walt or Dusty can or are willing to make them. So it goes back to the post I made a few days back, the direction of this franchise lays in the hands of 1 man, and if Bob isn't willing or can't make those choices then I don't see any real change happening.
    I want to bring up my post from the season predictions thread. I think it is similar to what you are saying. I will continue to bring it up until the Reds prove me wrong (I did have to fix my numbers because it added up to 160 games - I predicted 79-81). The only thing I see that I have missed is that I predicted Stubbs would struggle. I do agree that the management needs to do something, but because of last year's success I don't think they feel backed in a corner yet enough to make changes.

My Preseason Prediction:
    80-82:
    Sorry I think the Reds over-performed last year.

1. I don't think the pitching will hold up.
    2. Bruce is being talked about as an MVP candidate. Remember around the All-Star break and for about a month later, some people were calling for him to be benched or sent down. I think he will have a good year, but I don't think he has a proven track record yet.
    3. Joey Votto had a career year. He is a legit superstar, but it is not a given he can do that 2 years in a row.
    4. The rest of the IF doesn't impress me as standout (I know most would disagree on Phillips).
    5. Sorry, I can't see the team winning as long as Johnny Gomes is in LF.
    6. Drew Stubbs still has a .330 OBP and hasn't shown much more in the spring.

Expect the Reds to start out slow. I think there will be (and their best hope is) some serious changes around May. I think Bruce will be good in the OF, but Stubbs and Gomes will struggle. Votto should still be solid.

Somebody in the pitching staff really needs to step up and be the ace and a second pitcher is going to need to be right behind him. The bullpen hopefully will be improved, and Chapman could be a major player if the Reds are to repeat or improve. You can't win a Championship without at least 2 standout top-notch pitchers.

I think the team as it is right now is a 80-82 team. If they make some good moves and a couple of guys step up, I could see them in the NLCS and after that, anything is possible. The nice thing for the Reds is they do have some good young talent.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

You dont go into the season on hope.Hope for a new SS to panout,hope ageing veterans will repeat their success from last year.Hope young starting rotation will succeed.The lack of aquiring a big stick in the middle of the order to protect Votto would come back to haunt us,question marks in the left side of the infield,with an injury prone aging 3rd baseman,an unproven SS as far as offense goes.
    If Walt and company stand still and refuse to wheel and deal,muchless give deserving young talent a chance to show what they can do,then it will be a long hot summer.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    You dont go into the season on hope.Hope for a new SS to panout,hope ageing veterans will repeat their success from last year.Hope young starting rotation will succeed.The lack of aquiring a big stick in the middle of the order to protect Votto would come back to haunt us,question marks in the left side of the infield,with an injury prone aging 3rd baseman,an unproven SS as far as offense goes.
    If Walt and company stand still and refuse to wheel and deal,muchless give deserving young talent a chance to show what they can do,then it will be a long hot summer.
    I would be shocked to see Walt make any major moves this season, i really believe both he and Dusty feel this team doesn't need change.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

The Reds' season is over? Did they make the playoffs?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    I used those numbers and they just did the drawing.

I WON!!!!!!
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AintlifeGrande View Post
    By no means do I think the season is over. I believe the Reds are playing the harder part of their schedule now. BUT.......

I agree with alot of what you say. I posted over the Winter offseason the glaring needs this team has, and I was disappointed they did nothing to fill them.

1. #1 Ace Starting pitcher - 2010 playoffs and slaughter by the Phillies showed that glaring weakness. If this team did make the playoffs, they stand no chance without a legit #1.
    2. Legit 4-hole hitter, preferably righthanded and an outfielder/left fielder who can protect Joey Votto like Matt Holliday protects Pujols, meaning helps get him pitches to hit. I think Bruce's hitting surge has helped, but how much would a Matt Kemp-type hitter do batting 4th between Votto and Bruce? Murderer's Row.
    3. Tablesetter/legit leadoff hitter who doesn't K alot, and has a high OBP. Need a guy like this for the Votto's, Kemp's?, Bruce's to knock in.
    4. I was guilty of believing Janish could do no worse than OCab offensively and was definitely a defensive upgrade (which he is). I was wrong about his offense. SS probably needs upgraded or they need to take a look at Cozart.
    5. Rolen should be batting 6th or 7th. My biggest problem with Scottie is how much he is being paid and what we could do with that money because I believe someone in triple A could duplicate him offensively if given a try, at a much cheaper cost.

Despite imploding the other night against the Dodgers, I think our bullpen is mostly in good shape.
    I think defensively this team is topnotch.
    I love our catching tandem. Love them.

But the above issues were pretty much there in the offseason and BC and WJ are more into bandaids than they are actually fixing the problem.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

26 of the next 31 are against winning teams. Hang around until after the break and anything can happen. We just won a series, that's the standard, and it needs to continue on the road.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Nothing like winning two out of three from the Cubs at home to get you ready to run that gauntlet. Reds' fans just might be looking forward to 2012 by the All-Star Break. Or the Reds could pull themselves back in it. It will be a little tougher than in 2010 because they will be battling both the Cardinals and the Brewers. Cross your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

1. #1 Ace Starting pitcher - 2010 playoffs and slaughter by the Phillies showed that glaring weakness. If this team did make the playoffs, they stand no chance without a legit #1.

Huh? How exactly did the Phils 'slaughter" our pitchers? I mean in game 1 wasnt it like 4 runs and in game 3 like 2? they scored some in game two but that was really more due to errors then bad pitching. Sorry but an ACE in that series for the Reds would not have changed the result, we held their mighty offense in check, we just couldn't get hits and score runs.

2. Legit 4-hole hitter, preferably righthanded and an outfielder/left fielder who can protect Joey Votto like Matt Holliday protects Pujols, meaning helps get him pitches to hit. I think Bruce's hitting surge has helped, but how much would a Matt Kemp-type hitter do batting 4th between Votto and Bruce? Murderer's Row.

Again we have a 4 hole hitter, his name is Jay Bruce, our issue is with our 5 hole hitter is hitting leadoff and our 6 adn 8 guys are doing zippo. We are fine at 4.

3. Tablesetter/legit leadoff hitter who doesn't K alot, and has a high OBP. Need a guy like this for the Votto's, Kemp's?, Bruce's to knock in.

I would agree with this

5. Rolen should be batting 6th or 7th. My biggest problem with Scottie is how much he is being paid and what we could do with that money because I believe someone in triple A could duplicate him offensively if given a try, at a much cheaper cost.

Scotty is here becasue the owner wanted him here and I really don't think his contract hurts us from getting other players. His play hurts us, his inability to stay healthy and his advancing age hurts us.

Despite imploding the other night against the Dodgers, I think our bullpen is mostly in good shape.
    I think defensively this team is topnotch.
    I love our catching tandem. Love them.

But the above issues were pretty much there in the offseason and BC and WJ are more into bandaids than they are actually fixing the problem.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I'm not going to worry until we dip under .500, I don't think anyone else in the division is going to win more than 92 games. If we lay an egg out west it would be a major blow, inter-league isn't usually a friend of Cincinnati.

Turn Off Ads?