Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You wonder how true this is...would you do it?

Re: You wonder how true this is...would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    the difference is I believe Dusty would play Ryan and we know he won't play Chris....to me that reason alone I would do the deal.
    This. And maybe Ludwick comes to GABP, gets reenergized and has a big second half.
    But if Dusty isn't going to give Heisey consistent playing time, then it really is not much of a loss.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm not convinced that the Reds wouldn't acquire Ludwick, and Dusty wouldn't still be writing Gomes name in the lineup everyday for LF.

Only way I do the deal is if upper management mandates that they traded for Ludwick, are paying him more money than Gomes, and that HE WILL BE IN THE LINEUP EVERYDAY, barring injury.

I say do it!

Ludwick would flat out rake here in Cincinnati. He would be a nice addition to our lineup.
    Follow us on Twitter! @Redlegs_Review
    Link to my Reds blog http://redlegsreview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'm not convinced that the Reds wouldn't acquire Ludwick, and Dusty wouldn't still be writing Gomes name in the lineup everyday for LF.

Only way I do the deal is if upper management mandates that they traded for Ludwick, are paying him more money than Gomes, and that HE WILL BE IN THE LINEUP EVERYDAY, barring injury.
    to me "if" and that is a huge "IF" the deal was done, it would be Walt telling Dusty basically that the LF position isn't producing and here is the player to do it. I don't think it will happen because I really believe both feel Gomes will come out of his inability to hit and find that magic that he had for months 1 and 2 of last year.....but then again I think both are so out of touch with reality it's not funny.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

On the ORG, someone said that Ludwick is OPSing .822 outside of Petco park.

Heisey is OPSing less than .800 overall.

I don't like the idea of trading Heisey before he has been give a legitimate chance to play and show what he can do. I would hate to see Heisey make good somewhere else. I just don't know why Dusty won't let him play.

By now Dusty has seen plenty of Gomes and Lewis. He knows what they are and aren't going to do. It's time to let Heisey play. If you want Ludwick, trade someone from the minors. Besides, Ludwick is already 33. We already have Rolen and Renteria showing their age.

True two lower prospects would get it done, but three if they pay some of contract and they take Gomes or Lewis.

I say pull the trigger, what does it hurt. Right now Joey is getting nothing to swing at. I also don't think Heisey is the long term answer. Ludwick has played in pennant races and knows how to win. If it doesn't work out, or Alonso proves in AAA that he can play left field then you let him walk. This also allows you to take some pressure off Rolen and allowing him to hit in the 6th spot.

My question is where did McCoy get this info. He uses no citations. He doesn't even say "a source within the organization." Where did he get the info? Kind of bad reporting it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    On the ORG, someone said that Ludwick is OPSing .822 outside of Petco park.

Heisey is OPSing less than .800 overall.
    That's not even a meaningful difference. Heisey is six years younger and playing roughly just as well right now. I don't see the point in making this trade.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    That's not even a meaningful difference. Heisey is six years younger and playing roughly just as well right now. I don't see the point in making this trade.
    If Dusty played Heisey then I dont see the point in the trade either but Dusty would play Ludwick so thats where the improvement comes from.

Pretty much in agreement with the consensus...Either 1) make the trade (if the info is credible and the trade could be done at all) or 2) Play Heisey.
    The status quo just ain't workin'.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Real simple...Dusty doesn't like Heisey, won't play him, maybe with Ryan he will like him and play him.

For a minute lets ignore Ryan Ludwick's 2008 season which I think was a fluke, an anomally, a statical outlier, whatever you want to call it. What do you have?

What I see is a pretty mediocre guy who turns 33 in a month. Does anybody honestly believe that Joey Votto is suddenly going to see better pitches because the ominous presence of Ryan Ludwick on deck?

He is a marginal upgrade plus a rental. He does not fix anything long term and hardly provides the offense necessary to out slug our pitching problems.

People throw out names like Kemp or Beltran which I am not sure are realistic financially, but I get it. They are significant upgrades and would have a ripple effect up a down the lineup and those I can get behind. I have no interest in dabbling on the margins which is what Ludwick is.
    Last edited by krm1580; 06-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Turn Off Ads?