Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cozart's defense

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Cozart's defense

I've always thought of him as an above-average/good defensive shortstop. For those that have seen him play a lot, is that accurate? Not as good as Janish defensively, but still pretty good? Who would you compare him to defensively?

And considering Cozart is far better offensively than Janish, hopefully the Reds call up Cozart ASAP and make him the starting SS. As long as Cozart is above-average defensively for a Major League shortstop, I don't know what the Reds are waiting for. Cozart is now batting .320 on the year at Louisville. I don't think Janish is even OPS'ing .320 (I kid, I kid).

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Cozart's defense

He's not as good as Soft-J, nor is he as good as Rojas (I think). However, he isn't bad there. It wouldn't hurt to have him there.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    He's not as good as Soft-J, nor is he as good as Rojas (I think). However, he isn't bad there. It wouldn't hurt to have him there.
    I'd agree, but say he is still above avg in the field.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I'd agree, but say he is still above avg in the field.
    That's what I meant to put but for some reason I couldn't think of how to say it lol. Thank you.

Good range, arm, footwork, and instincts.

When he enters the major leagues, he'll be among the top five to ten SS with the glove.

Janish is number two (behind Escobar)-- and no one is really close to those two, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

When he enters the major leagues, he'll be among the top five to ten SS with the glove.

Janish is number two (behind Escobar)-- and no one is really close to those two, IMO.
    Where do you put Alex Gonzalez, someone who I always thought was overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Agon is not overrated, although he does have the knack for losing the easy one every so often.

I am more impressed by Tulo than Janish to be frank.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    AUGUST 20, 7:15 PM ET @ Busch Stadium
    MORTAL COMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Agon is not overrated, although he does have the knack for losing the easy one every so often.

Tulo is very good obviously. I'm sort of jaded with his range because the grass is so tall at Coors Field. Tulo has a cannon too, so he makes more plays in shallow left than basically anyone. I'd say he is defenitely in their class as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post

Well, I agree he's not "overrated" if you don't have him ranked as one of the top-two defensive shortstops in the game like Scrap. But I've heard a lot of people say Alex Gonzalez is "the best defensive SS in MLB." That's what I'm talking about when I say I think Gonzalez is overrated. Like I said many times while he played for the Reds, "He's the worst 'best SS in MLB' of any era if he's in fact the best in MLB."

I agree Gonzalez is good -- top 5 in MLB good -- but not top 2. A lot of people would put him 1 or 2 and that's just tomfoolery. It's even bobfoolery.

So, Cozart will be at least an above-average defensive shortstop at the Major League level (and perhaps better than that), he's hitting extremely well at the AAA level, he's 25, the Reds have a big hole at SS right now ...

Remind me why he hasn't been called up yet? (I don't use the misnomer "recalled" if a player has never been called up to the Majors in the first place.)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    So, Cozart will be at least an above-average defensive shortstop at the Major League level (and perhaps better than that), he's hitting extremely well at the AAA level, he's 25, the Reds have a big hole at SS right now ...

Remind me why he hasn't been called up yet? (I don't use the misnomer "recalled" if a player has never been called up to the Majors in the first place.)
    Because the offense isn't the reason we are losing, or so says Dusty. Who cares about improvement on the side that is doing well overall?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because the offense isn't the reason we are losing, or so says Dusty. Who cares about improvement on the side that is doing well overall?
    Ha. And occasionally, why not bat Janish in the two-hole just to really frustrate us.

-The Insider-

I have lost count how many times I've seen "and ____ has not been called up yet?" I know it's frustrating but you guys are gonna go crazy obsessing over why Cozy or Yonder or Mes or Frazier have not been called up yet. It'll happen when it'll happen. I know everyone is mad at Gomes and Soft-J's lack of production, so am I. But there's nothing we can do about it. Constantly thinking about this is gonna do more harm to you guys than good.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I have lost count how many times I've seen "and ____ has not been called up yet?" I know it's frustrating but you guys are gonna go crazy obsessing over why Cozy or Yonder or Mes or Frazier have not been called up yet. It'll happen when it'll happen. I know everyone is mad at Gomes and Soft-J's lack of production, so am I. But there's nothing we can do about it. Constantly thinking about this is gonna do more harm to you guys than good.
    Constantly ignoring it would leave us all void of anything to complain about. I don't have to explain why that would be a very cold, sad day on RedsZone.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I remember Cozart was considered close to big-league ready defensively the day the Reds drafted him. It was his bat that was supposed to be suspect. He is the rare college shortstop that has been able to stay at the position all the way up the ladder.

Turn Off Ads?