Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cozart's defense

Re: Cozart's defense

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Constantly ignoring it would leave us all void of anything to complain about.
    Nope, there's always pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    Nope, there's always pitching.
    We would still have batting order, Drew Stubbs' strikeouts, we haven't complained about Francisco Cordero in a while, and the Cardinals.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I have lost count how many times I've seen "and ____ has not been called up yet?" I know it's frustrating but you guys are gonna go crazy obsessing over why Cozy or Yonder or Mes or Frazier have not been called up yet. It'll happen when it'll happen. I know everyone is mad at Gomes and Soft-J's lack of production, so am I. But there's nothing we can do about it. Constantly thinking about this is gonna do more harm to you guys than good.
    Thanks for your profound advice in this situation. I would heed it if I didn't already know better. If I want to say Cozart > Janish ... I will do so all day. If you don't like it, that's fine. That's what makes this country great!

But seriously, I know what you're saying. However, it's getting to the point where it's ridiculous to not call up Cozart and sit Janish down for a while. Can't they invent an injury for Janish like they did with Chapman? That would give Cozart a nice 15-day window to show what he's got. Then Janish could always go on a "rehab assignment" to give Cozart even more time. And if Cozart proves he's ready over that time, he's got the job. If he doesn't, you could always go back to Janish ... or give the job to Renteria for the rest of the year.
    Last edited by Blitz Dorsey; 06-11-2011 at 11:03 PM.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Thanks for your profound advice in this situation. I would heed it if I didn't already know better. If I want to say Cozart > Janish ... I will do so all day. If you don't like it, that's fine. That's what makes this country great!

But seriously, I know what you're saying. However, it's getting to the point where it's ridiculous to not call up Cozart and sit Janish down for a while. Can't they invent an injury for Janish like they did with Chapman? That would give Cozart a nice 15-day window to show what he's got. Then Janish could always go on a "rehab assignment" to give Cozart even more time. And if Cozart proves he's ready over that time, he's got the job. If he doesn't, you could always go back to Janish ... or give the job to Renteria for the rest of the year.
    Sorry, I think I was just in an ill mood and was frustrated with all those posts. My bad for the mini rant.
    As for your idea, it's not that simple, unfortunately. Sitting a player down who isn't somewhat injured and is still providing great defense and telling him they are going to phantom him and give Cozy a try is somewhat of a slap in the face. Yes he is in a horrible rut to say he least, but they are going to give him every chance they can until the ultimately feel they have to move on. Just the big question is, when is enough? With Chappy there was a big problem; he was giving up runs and had a lack of control therefore they had reason to DL him. He wasn't "injured" per say, but he needed a break physically (and maybe mentally, I don't know)
    Cozart will be here soon, by the All-Star break I would guess. But once that does happen, one of Janish or Renteria will be gone.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 06-12-2011 at 12:38 AM.

For those who haven't read Cozart's "biography" lately:

Selected by the Reds in the second round of the 2007 First-Year Player Draft .... graduated from Collierville High School (Collierville, TN), where he was a three-sport star (baseball, basketball, football) ... played collegiately at the University of Mississippi ... in 2008 was a Midwest League All-Star and a Baseball America Class A All-Star ... in 2009 was a Southern League All-Star, the organization's Minor League Player of the Month for June and the SL's Player of the Week for 6/1-6/7 ... in 2010 received the Mary E. Barney Award as Louisville's Most Valuable Player and was a Baseball America Class AAA All-Star ... entered the 2011 season rated the eighth-best prospect in the organization.

Looks like he's on his way to a number of 2011 honors as he's currently batting .491 in June.

Since May 1, Zack's BA: .396.
    Since May 1, Paul Janish's SLG%: .236!

Fun Reds Fact: During the months of June and July, the Reds SS's have batted to a tune of .179/.240/.220. Over that same time, Cozart has swung .396/.434/.611.

Does Cozart have any experience at 3B? Janish's versatility may be one reason he hasn't gotten the call yet, in case Rolen/Cairo gets injured.

Meanwhile, Renteria can't exactly be optioned, and it would seem like a mighty waste of a couple million dollars to give up on him now. As frustrating as it is to see Zack tearing it up in AAA instead of the majors, it's not exactly good business for a small market team to spend $2.1 million on a stopgap who doesn't last us to the All-Star break. Players have ups and downs... perhaps Janish could do with a little AAA if he keeps it up, but there's no reason to shut Renteria out of the organization until he's proven that he isn't any more than what he's been so far.
    Last edited by The DARK; 06-14-2011 at 03:56 PM.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoilerBC11 View Post
    Fun Reds Fact: During the months of June and July, the Reds SS's have batted to a tune of .179/.240/.220. Over that same time, Cozart has swung .396/.434/.611.
    It's July already? I slept a lonnnnggg time.

Turn Off Ads?