Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Notre Dame Football Thread

Re: 2011 Notre Dame Football Thread

The Irish will be much better by the end of the year than they are now. It's only Kelly's second season, and I think people were expecting a little bit too much out of this current team. It can still win 9-10 games and have a very good season, but I never thought national title or an undefeated run was possible. Let's not kid ourselves, South Florida could very well be a BCS team this year in the BCS. And ND outgained them by twice as many yards, they just made stupid mistakes. I have to believe that will be corrected going forward.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

At Cincinnati, against a Big East schedule, Brian Kelly could play to score 40+ points a game and dare you to score 1 more than his offense could.

He clearly hasn't changed that philosophy at ND, and he's going to lose a lot of football games playing that style against the Michigans, MSUs, USCs, and BCs of the world.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    At Cincinnati, against a Big East schedule, Brian Kelly could play to score 40+ points a game and dare you to score 1 more than his offense could.

He clearly hasn't changed that philosophy at ND, and he's going to lose a lot of football games playing that style against the Michigans, MSUs, USCs, and BCs of the world.
    Maybe, but I have to think that they would be 2-0 if they would have not turned the ball over in the red zone the past two weeks. Against South Florida, it may have been obvious because it lead to a touchdown, but they have done that at least 4 times in the past two games. That's not the defense's fault. That's just playing sloppy.

Yea, I don't think the last 2 losses have really had much to do with coaching philosophy. It's been mostly sloppy play, which is strange because his UC teams were great at avoiding turnovers.

The only way he can't play that philosophy is to have a good defense. It's not a matter of changing a philosophy. It will take some time for him to build a defense (if he can do it at all). Weis left him at least some talent on offense. He was left very little on defense from what I understand.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Defensive stigma of UC aside, Kelly won more games in 2008 with his defense and special teams than with his offense. The 2008 game against Rutgers would have made Tressel blush by the way he let Kevin Huber win the game for them. Yes, the punter.

Bottom line, he tailors his game plans to the strengths of his personnel, like any good coach. The 2009 UC team didn't have the talent to replace the outgoing 2008 defense (that had four players drafted), so he had to outscore teams the following season (leading to the stigma that UC now has, in many thanks to his lack of recruiting defensive players). That UC team, by the way, had one of the more impressive road wins in college football with a double-digit win in Corvallis. In other words, it worked against teams beyond the Big East.

The big difference between Kelly winning then and losing now is all in the execution. Why his UC teams executed and his Notre Dame teams aren't is anyone's guess. However, I'd guess that if he feels the need to outscore opponents, then he doesn't trust his defensive personnel. He'd play field position and time possession much more if he did, as hard as that is to believe.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-12-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

The first loss was to USF. They're in the Big East, you know.

And BC is horrible this year (lost 30-3 to UCF and lost to Northwestern), and is generally very average.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    The first loss was to USF. They're in the Big East, you know.

And BC is horrible this year (lost 30-3 to UCF and lost to Northwestern), and is generally very average.
    The second loss was to Michigan. They're not in the Big East.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yup, this ND team just hasn't been very good. Nothing to do with Big East vs. non-Big East. They're obviously capable of losing to Big East and non-Big East teams alike.

it's safe to say they're back. finally. very happy for the Irish. Brian Kelly looks to be the best hire the Irish have had since Holtz.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I witnessed the Miami/ND blowout in person. When you combine an offense that rarely makes mistakes with a defense that has shut down powerful offense after powerful offense, you are capable of beating anyone. Yes, Alabama, that means you.

I don't see a loss on their remaining schedule, even against Boy Wonder Barkley and the weak defense at USC.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

They're going to need some help to get a shot at Alabama. It's not likely that ND can pass K-State or Oregon without those two losing.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

They're going to need some help to get a shot at Alabama. It's not likely that ND can pass K-State or Oregon without those two losing.
    Absolutely true. It's going to be interesting to see just how many teams from major BCS conferences wind up undefeated and Bowl eligible.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I witnessed the Miami/ND blowout in person. When you combine an offense that rarely makes mistakes with a defense that has shut down powerful offense after powerful offense, you are capable of beating anyone. Yes, Alabama, that means you.

I don't see a loss on their remaining schedule, even against Boy Wonder Barkley and the weak defense at USC.
    I don't think USC in LA is a cakewalk. I think they can win, but not easily.

I think if Notre Dame wins out, they'll play in the title game. Oregon's schedule is rather uninspiring and even though K-State is awesome, the BCS bias will put ND in the game, fair or not.

Turn Off Ads?