Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Notre Dame Football Thread

Re: 2011 Notre Dame Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Notre Dame being in the NC game would be good for business. Don't under estimate that.
    Last time Notre Dame was in a BcS game the result was the media creation of a national nightmare for this Raider fan. Them making the national championship while good ratings to start I'm sure will end up in a farce that will keep the most diehard Domers and haters out there. I like last years national title joke of a game will not watch.

As a WVU fan I hope KSU gets a chance to avenge the crap of last year (2 ACC teams I mean seriously they are BY FAR the WORST conference in BcS) but as a fan I want to see Oregon vs Alabama. The most prolific offense vs the most prolific defense in what should have been the storyline last year (LSU vs OK St). All this IMO.
    Last edited by Slyder; 10-29-2012 at 08:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?

Notre Dame being in the NC game would be good for business. Don't under estimate that.
    No one that has any say in the algorithm has any vested interest in this "business" you speak of. Voters don't care about it being good for "business" nor do the computers that have algorithms that rank teams. TV networks and universities certainly have a business interest, but they don't have any say in the algorithm. This business isn't going to get them more votes nor is it going to artificially inflate their strength of schedule when playing Pittsburgh, Boston College or Wake Forest. The whole "Notre Dame draws ratings" card is a fictional narrative as far as the BCS formula is concerned.
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-29-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It certainly will depend on how close the scores are of each game. Notre Dame has a very good shot of playing in the national title game if they win out.
    I'll ask you for the fourth time, what technical reason do you have for thinking that? I am getting the impression, no offense, that you don't understand how the system is structured. I keep asking why you think Notre Dame's score would be higher than Oregon's and you haven't answered that question.

The scores have nothing to do with it, by the way. Margin of victory is not a component in this system and voters are certainly not going to reward Notre Dame because they blew out three of the worst teams in college football. If they wanted to bump Notre Dame, they would have done it this week after beating Oklahoma.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    I'll ask you for the fourth time, what technical reason do you have for thinking that? I am getting the impression, no offense, that you don't understand how the system is structured. I keep asking why you think Notre Dame's score would be higher than Oregon's and you haven't answered that question.

The scores have nothing to do with it, by the way. Margin of victory is not a component in this system and voters are certainly not going to reward Notre Dame because they blew out three of the worst teams in college football. If they wanted to bump Notre Dame, they would have done it this week after beating Oklahoma.
    The scores very well may matter. If Notre Dame has good showings, that may be the difference. Maybe it won't be. You obviously disagree. It's my prediction and I'm sticking to it. We'll see if I'm right soon enough.

Notre Dame being good for business will not affect the computers, I agree. But for those who feed at the trough of college football for a living, Notre Dame in the title game is quite appetizing. If there are 3 undefeated teams at seasons end, I'd bet the propaganda machine would be out in full to get voters to rank the Irish second.

I'm not complaining about that, it is just what I anticipate happening.

Well that discussion is all moot now.

KSU totally exposed.

I hate Pitt's kicker.

Oregon - Stanford headed to OT due to Chip Kelly refusing to kick a chip shot FG on 4th down.

Live by the sword.....

Oregon - Stanford headed to OT due to Chip Kelly refusing to kick a chip shot FG on 4th down.

Live by the sword.....
    Die by the sword.

Congrats on the #1 ranking Irish.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Down goes Oregon.

At this rate, we're looking at an ND/Alabama NC game.

ZZZZZZZ.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Down goes Oregon.

At this rate, we're looking at an ND/Alabama NC game.

ZZZZZZZ.
    Not gonna be easy next week in LA.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Not gonna be easy next week in LA.
    True, even though USC is due for a signature win, I'll believe a USC win over Notre Dame if and when I see it. The USC defense is a mess.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

USC's best win of the year so far is over Syracuse. I doubt that changes next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    USC's best win of the year so far is over Syracuse. I doubt that changes next week.
    Your first sentence is true, but that is not how one projects things going forward.

USC has lost to Stanford, UCLA, and Oregon...all top 20 teams...by an average of of 9.3 points. That suggests they will at least keep it close.

Notre Dame has won 5 games by a touchdown or less. The only other team out there who has done the same is OSU as far as I can see. Both teams have been fortunate. See Purdue and Pitt.

My only contention is that it will not be an easy game for ND.

Your first sentence is true, but that is not how one projects things going forward.
    It's certainly a factor in predicting the future that every decent team USC has played has beaten them. Close or not.

Turn Off Ads?