Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A's fire Geren, name Melvin interim manager

-The Insider-

A's fire Geren, name Melvin interim manager

Boom!

OAKLAND, Calif. -- The Oakland Athletics have fired manager Bob Geren in the midst of a nine-game losing streak that has sent them tumbling to the bottom of the AL West standings.

Oakland general manager Billy Beane immediately announced Thursday that former Arizona manager and broadcaster Bob Melvin will be the interim manager.

The A's went 334-376 in four-plus seasons under Geren, a longtime friend of Beane. The beleaguered manager had come under criticism from his bullpen in recent weeks for a lack of communication, and a sluggish offense combined with a rash of injuries to the rotation spelled the end of his tenure.

The A's were planning to introduce Melvin at news conference before their game at the Chicago White Sox later in the day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A's fire Geren, name Melvin interim manager

I liked Geren, was rooting for him.

But I am also glad to see Melvin get another shot. He got the shaft in Arizona on 2009, imo.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I liked Geren, was rooting for him.
    Apparently the players disagree with you. He was a hard guy to get along with...

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ger-bob-geren/

I remember that Bob Geren came to Spring Training with the Reds one year (I think it was 1990). Obviously he didn't make the club--he was fourth on the depth chart behind Joe Oliver, Jeff Reed, and Terry McGriff. I think he was released in Spring Training--I don't remember him at AAA for the Reds.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

talk about the Anti-Dusty. I think the Baker Haters have their replacement option.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Apparently the players disagree with you. He was a hard guy to get along with...

That explains a lot. Did not know that. Thanks
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Imagine if they actually hired a manager instead of a marionette.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Those comments by Fuentes are unprofessional and case-building. "Odd" bullpen usage means that he didn't go 7th inning guy, 8th inning guy, 9th inning guy? There's a book on bullpen usage now? Oakland had Larussa, they must have forgotten and not watched the Cards in the last 20+ years to see "odd" bullpen usage.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I just wonder if this speaks to the bigger question of Billy Beane as a GM. I have always thought that Beane is the most overrated GM in the majors. Yes, he had some great ideas about how to build a team with a small budget early in the 2000's. However, I think the polish has finally worn off on this guy since then. If you look at the moves he made in the past couple of years, not only are they bone headed but if it was any other GM, they would have been fired two years ago. The whole Matt Holliday fiasco has set them back several years in my opinion. Not only do they give up Huston Street and Cargo for Holliday but the Cards scam him and just give up Brett Wallace for Holliday. Where is Wallace now? In Houston. The A's lost huge in both of those deals. Even looking at the construction of the lineup this year, I have no idea how anyone thought that team could score enough runs to consistently win even with the good pitching staff they have.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I remember that Bob Geren came to Spring Training with the Reds one year (I think it was 1990). Obviously he didn't make the club--he was fourth on the depth chart behind Joe Oliver, Jeff Reed, and Terry McGriff. I think he was released in Spring Training--I don't remember him at AAA for the Reds.
    In was 1992 according to Baseball-reference. We claimed him off waivers from the Yankees, but released him during Spring Training of '92. After which he signed with the Bosox and played in the minors for them. Only ML experience was with the Yankees spread over four seasons.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I just wonder if this speaks to the bigger question of Billy Beane as a GM. I have always thought that Beane is the most overrated GM in the majors. Yes, he had some great ideas about how to build a team with a small budget early in the 2000's. However, I think the polish has finally worn off on this guy since then. If you look at the moves he made in the past couple of years, not only are they bone headed but if it was any other GM, they would have been fired two years ago. The whole Matt Holliday fiasco has set them back several years in my opinion. Not only do they give up Huston Street and Cargo for Holliday but the Cards scam him and just give up Brett Wallace for Holliday. Where is Wallace now? In Houston. The A's lost huge in both of those deals. Even looking at the construction of the lineup this year, I have no idea how anyone thought that team could score enough runs to consistently win even with the good pitching staff they have.
    Not to mention that his team was reportedly one of the bigger PED factories in baseball. His star has faded a bit since testing began. It may be a coincidence, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    In was 1992 according to Baseball-reference. We claimed him off waivers from the Yankees, but released him during Spring Training of '92. After which he signed with the Bosox and played in the minors for them. Only ML experience was with the Yankees spread over four seasons.
    OK, thanks. I was trying to go from memory there. I knew I was in college, but I couldn't pinpoint the year.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I'm shocked Geren has lasted this long. Granted he is/was tight with Beane but man, after Macha left the A's were the definition of mediocre at best. Granted that's not necessarily on Geren, but usually managers don't last long with the results the A's were pumping out.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Turn Off Ads?