Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Can Johnny C be an ACE?

Can Johnny C be an ACE?

So far this year for the most part Mr. Cueto has pitched some great games since coming off the DL. So is he ACE material that the Reds need or is he still just a 2-4 guy?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Can Johnny C be an ACE?

I think the real question here is can brm7675 start the most threads ever.

of couse he can be. he was there best pitcher last yr also.

He is this team's ACE right now.

True..He is this teams ACE..Hopefully he can keep it up due to weak SP we've been getting so far this year

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    True..He is this teams ACE..Hopefully he can keep it up due to weak SP we've been getting so far this year
    Welcome DGullett.

One of my favorite quotes of baseball is one from 1976 and Don Gullett. He was asked what the key to being a successful pitcher is by Curt Gowdy. Gullett said, "Baseball's pretty simple. You keep player's off the bases and they can't score any runs." In other words, the lower your WHIP, the better chance you have of pitching successfully.

While that's not my philosophy, it's half of it. The other half being Slugging percentage. How hard of contact batters are making with the bat on the ball. A pitcher that's not letting the batters make good contact isn't giving up a high slugging percentage.

Can he be... absolutely.

The question is will he be.

He has ace stuff without a doubt. He's made the most of it so far this year, and it's been good to see. But maybe the truest mark of an ace is how he pitches when his best stuff isn't there. He's done an outstanding job of giving the Reds a chance to win on those occasions this year.

I'd love to see it, because he's been my favorite Reds pitcher for a while now, at least starting pitcher. He and Volquez both started with the Reds back in 2008, and Johnny has just always seemed to take his craft a little more seriously than Volquez did.

Yes, arguably one the of the top 10 pitchers in baseball as well

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Yes, arguably one the of the top 10 pitchers in baseball as well
    Whoa now, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

My idea of an ace is someone you can run out there and shut other teams down regularly. He's about as close as any Reds starter. For me, it's his consistency. He hasn't imploded like he did occasionally last year: lots of walks, wild pitches, lack of focus/maturity. Let's hope it continues.

Johnny C. already is the ace of this staff.

I was concerned last year that he has an ace arm but a .10 cent head-he got flustered easy, shut down when didnt have his stuff, etc. He seems to have taken a big step in the mental part of his game and that may allow him to continue to improve and become legit MLB ace material.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Let's cool down. He's had one good month, a really good month, but he has a lot more baseball to play before we say "he's arrived".

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf371 View Post
    Let's cool down. He's had one good month, a really good month, but he has a lot more baseball to play before we say "he's arrived".
    Volquez had one good year. A really good year. Cueto has also had one good year, but more recently than Volquez'.

Turn Off Ads?