Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Brandon Phillips Is Awesome Story...

Worth The Wait

Latest Brandon Phillips Is Awesome Story...

Interviewed two young fans on the broadcast tonight.... One of them answered a trivia question BP posted on twitter. Their prize?

A fully paid for trip to SF this weekend. Not only did he pay for their hotel, flight, and game tickets, but he took them to Fishermans Wharf today and bought them lunch. That is beyond awesome... Obviously the two guys were gushing about how cool BP is and how kindly he treats everyone that approaches him.

Some cynics may question his motivation, but I say who cares? He has given those guys a lifetime memory... Hats off once again to BP.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Latest Brandon Phillips Is Awesome Story...

I never seen anything like it. Brandon definitely likes attention, but he also likes spreading the love. He's just a good-hearted guy. (And a hell of a player.)

Maybe politicians should try trivia questions on twitter......

Brandon gets it.....beyond impressive.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Maybe politicians should try trivia questions on twitter......

Brandon gets it.....beyond impressive.
    No, they are busy providing their followers with other "perks"

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Makes me ask...

* Will Tony LaRussa whine about this? BP is making those kids miss work or time at their local pool. Those kids should be spending quality time with their families and not be hanging in SF. At least while they are in SF can someone have those kids work on the pitcher's mound for Chris Carpenter?

* Will Yadier Molina follow suit? Have a trivia contest on Twitter. Winner gets two free neck tattoos.

* How will Carpenter explain this to his son?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Maybe those who have objected to BP's style can start to appreciate the guy a little, as more stories like these emerge. Loves to play (how many injuries has he played through in the last few years?), loves to be a Red, loves the fans. Performs at an all-star level. For anybody who loves the game, you have to respect what this guy is bringing to it.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Will Yadier Molina follow suit? Have a trivia contest on Twitter. Winner gets two free neck tattoos.
    LMAO!

#85 of the Bengals has been doing stuff like this for a while.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids. Allegedly, he has spent less than a week of his life seeing his five-year-old in Philadelphia. He sure knows how to take advantage of the media, but it's terrible what kind of father he seems to be. Granted, there are a lot of details we'll likely never know, but my experience is that when it comes to these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids. Allegedly, he has spent less than a week of his life seeing his five-year-old in Philadelphia. He sure knows how to take advantage of the media, but it's terrible what kind of father he seems to be. Granted, there are a lot of details we'll likely never know, but my experience is that when it comes to these things, where there's smoke, there's fire.
    If you're going to do that, I would advise not coming hard like that, then using words like "allegedly".

Phillips obviously doesn't seem to be the world's greatest father, and that certainly throws some cold water on all these heartwarming stories, but I would almost side with Phillips on the child support issue. The mother "allegedly" complained that Phillips was only paying $60,000 a year in child support. Regardless of what he makes, Phillips doesn't have to empty his bank account on a five year old. I'm pretty sure I could comfortably raise a child with 60 grand.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

I don't have a problem with the lack of money being spent on his kids so much as the lack of time being spent with his kids. Instead of flying twitter followers into town, maybe he should be flying his children in. Just a thought.

I don't think anyone here has enough information to talk about how Brandon Phillips is with his children. It was one tiny news story that came out and didn't present any part of Brandon Phillips side of the story. Not saying he's a great dad but I'm not sure we have the information to have an intelligent discussion about it.

Worth The Wait

All we can do is go on what we know... I dot suggest that anyone pattern their entire life after BP and I don't consider him a hero... Just think that these things he does for the fans are very cool and very unique

This is great and all, but I really wish people would stop acting like Brandon Phillips is some kind of amazing hero. Yes, it's great that he treats his fans so well, but the guy is making $12M this year, and not even .1% of that is going to his kids.
    If what Superdude posted above is true, and he's paying 60K in child support - the mother of his kid can live pretty comfortably while taking good care of the child and not even have to hold a job herself. There's lots of people in this country who don't have a total household income of 60K/yr, let alone receive that much money in child support. I have no idea about child support laws and whether there's a "top-out" level of payment having to be made regardless of income. If he's deficient at 60K, I'm sure the mother could take him to court and win easily since it would be a high profile case.

But either way, I think what he does is great for the game, regardless of his motivations - and he seems pretty genuine to me. I don't think he'd be spending too much 1-on-1 time with the people he treats to all this stuff if he was just doing it to get publicity.
    Last edited by The Operator; 06-12-2011 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Turn Off Ads?